FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Session Report! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   HOWZAWIND??? (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=991)

ricki 07-22-2010 03:30 PM

Here comes the tropical system, soon tropical storm, with luck for South Florida just some wind (useable for the most part) and rain. I would watch out for squalls as always. A kiter was badly hurt already by a squall from the system in Puerto Rico. Would be great not to add to that number through carelessness. Looks clear out for the next little while with rising winds today with squalls inbound later on.

ricki 07-31-2010 09:30 PM

NICE thermals yesterday before the squalls struck from inland. Seemed similar today but without all the fireworks around Ft. Lauderdale. Anyone get a session in? It must have been close to 20 at points last night when it was supposed to max 9 kts. side offshore!

ricki 09-01-2010 09:41 PM

Great session again tonight, had another one Monday. Today there were these real nice 4 to 5 ft. ground swells forming about 300 ft. off the beach. NICE ramping swells! No squalls either and the wind was pretty good until after sunset when it eased a bit. Who else got some nice water time in today?

noel 09-02-2010 01:24 PM

2 great days down here in Islamorada. A little gusty for some reason but got better in the afternoons. Tuesday afternoon on my 8m and yesterday on a 10m. A great summer session yesterday till I tomahawked my 10m and blew it up good thru the LE to the TE. $ = :( Not many people riding which also made it nice.

ricki 09-15-2010 08:44 PM

Got some nice wind for a while tonight, gusting into the mid 20 kt. range at one point. Nice waves to go with too. It was strange, most of the sky was clear to the north and south but there was a narrow 15 mile long squall line running due west right over where I normally ride. The squalls would keep appearing and running in too. They seemed to cover about a three mile width. There was blue sky to the south and a shelf cloud to the north at one point. Anyway, chose to head south instead of north and had a nice squall free session. Who else got some wind time in?

noel 09-16-2010 10:30 AM

Tuesday was pretty good. By the end of the day, it was a solid 25. Yesterday was kind of a wash although a few people rode including myself but at times in the pouring rain. Alot of squalls yesterday. Today seems squally also. Can here thunder as I type.

ricki 09-17-2010 05:36 AM

Glad you folks are continuing to have nice wind in the Keys. These tropical systems will throw off some strange looking squalls at times. Good thing they show up pretty far away as a rule. Enjoy the next week of wind!

Looks like we have steady wind on tap for the next several days off Palm Beach County. Nothing nuking but useable.

Today...East northeast winds 12 to 15 knots becoming 13 to 18 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. East swell 2 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Scattered showers.

Tonight...East northeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. East northeast swell 2 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers.

Saturday...East northeast winds 13 to 16 knots becoming 14 to 19 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. East northeast swell 2 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers.

Saturday Night...Northeast winds 15 to 20 knots becoming 14 to 17 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. East northeast swell 2 feet increasing to 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Sunday...Northeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet near shore and up to 6 to 8 feet in the gulf stream. Northeast swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Sunday Night...North northeast winds 16 to 21 knots becoming northeast 12 to 15 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet near shore and up to 7 to 9 feet in the gulf stream. Northeast swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers through the night.

Monday...Northeast winds 12 to 17 knots. Seas 6 to 8 feet near shore and up to 7 to 9 feet in the gulf stream. Northeast swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Monday Night...East northeast winds 14 to 19 knots. Seas 7 to 9 feet. North northeast swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers.

Tuesday...East northeast winds 14 to 19 knots. Seas 7 to 9 feet. North swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...fl&zmx=1&zmy=1

greg meintjes 09-20-2010 06:01 PM

Pics from Key West

Took these today of Nick (THE TONGUE) and Brenden at Smathers.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...07471112610258

ricki 09-20-2010 09:58 PM

Looks like a nice session, thanks for posting Greg! Here are a few for folks that aren't on Facebook:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3438847_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3709453_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2305835_n.jpg

Great shots although that last one looks painful?

Had a nice sunset session in front of the lighthouse tonight playing with some video camera perspectives. It is nice to have wind!

ricki 10-04-2010 08:41 AM

WOW ...

Synopsis...THE PRESSURE GRADIENT BETWEEN HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE EASTERN HALF OF THE COUNTRY AND LOW PRESSURE OVER THE GREATER ANTILLES WILL GRADUALLY TIGHTEN THROUGH THE NEXT FEW DAYS LEADING TO INCREASING WINDS AND SEAS ACROSS THE LOCAL AREA WATERS THROUGH THE WEEK.
Today...North northeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Intracoastal waters a light chop. Slight chance of showers.

Tonight...North northeast winds 14 to 19 knots near shore to north northeast 18 to 23 knots in the gulf stream. Near shore...seas 5 to 7 feet. In the gulf stream...seas 5 to 7 feet building to 7 to 9 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Tuesday...North northeast winds 17 to 22 knots near shore to north northeast 21 to 26 knots in the gulf stream. Seas 7 to 9 feet near shore and up to 9 to 11 feet in the gulf stream. Intracoastal waters choppy. Chance of showers.

Tuesday Night...North northeast winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas 9 to 11 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Chance of showers.

Wednesday...North northeast winds 21 to 26 knots. Seas 9 to 11 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy. Slight chance of showers.

Wednesday Night...North northeast winds 19 to 24 knots. Seas 8 to 10 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Thursday...North northeast winds 17 to 22 knots. Seas 6 to 8 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Thursday Night...Northeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers.

Friday...Northeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers.

ricki 10-04-2010 01:20 PM

15 to 28, avg. 23 mph in Jupiter and 18 to 22, avg. 20 mph in Pompano right now out of the NNE. It's here!

ricki 10-21-2010 06:39 AM

Forecast looks good for the weekend!

Coastal waters from Jupiter Inlet to Deerfield Beach FL out 20 NM (AMZ650)

Friday...Northeast winds 12 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Dominant period 4 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Friday Night...East northeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Saturday...East northeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Saturday Night...East winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Sunday...East southeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Sunday Night...East southeast winds 14 to 17 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/

Anto 10-22-2010 11:37 AM

Looks good! Thanks Rick, you just gave me the motivation to do a little kite trip there this weekend. I will leave Sarasota tomorrow morning, I think Jupiter is the closest spot for me to find some good winds this weekend.
If somebody from Tampa Bay wants a ride, let me know :D

I never rode 'big' waves, I saw these spots in Jupiter:

http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitesurf/...ter_inlet.html
http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitesurf/...ic_center.html
http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitesurf/...kitebeach.html

Juno Kitebeach seems great, but maybe there is an other one better in/around Jupiter? I ride for 3 years in flat water, I'm glad to try some waves finally :D

Antonin

ricki 10-22-2010 01:50 PM

Hello Antonin,

The forecast and the wave height projections appear below. I like Jupiter but have also been riding in waves for almost 12 years on kites. I can recall folks having difficulties in the break there if they weren't used to it. NE is close to onshore there, toss in a breaker line and getting out can be difficult at times. These aren't very big conditions for Juno/Jupiter either as it can get quite a bit larger.

For a first time in waves, you might do better a bit further south IF waves develop as forecast. This may not happen this time. With each inlet you pass heading south the wave height drops. Delray Beach might be better for you although even there getting out can be challenging at times with near onshore winds. For a first time out you would do a lot better with side or side onshore winds. These aren't in the forecast in the area unfortunately for this weekend. The kite beach is south of Atlantic Ave, off the guarded beach about 150 yards south of Casurina Road. We need to stay away from the guarded beach there. There is about a mile and a half of private beach south of there with fewer issues. If the winds are lighter or later in arriving the waves could well be less of a factor.

Regarding Juno, I would ignore the other two spots particularly the inlet as the beach can be very narrow, there can also be surfers and tidal currents. Not a good spot for a first venture. You might be fine in Juno but the place to go is kitebeach, about a mile north of the Juno fishing pier and well south of the Inlet. The waves may not be much of an issue depending on how conditions develop. I would be sure to check the forecast again tonight and even in the morning if you are driving over Saturday. There is a nice livecam of Jupiter inlet and Boca Raton further south which shows conditions similar to Delray at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6734

Have a good trip!

Tonight...East northeast winds 12 to 17 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Dominant period 4 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Saturday...East northeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Dominant period 5 seconds. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Saturday Night And Sunday...East winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Isolated showers.

Sunday Night...East southeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Isolated showers and thunderstorms.

Anto 10-22-2010 11:26 PM

Hello Rick,

Thank you I really appreciate your advices, very useful particularly when you never went to a spot :)
I'll check the forecast and webcam tomorrow morning before to leave.

I don't have any problem to ride upwind, but it could be a lot more difficult with the Atlantic's waves. If the waves seems to big at Kitebeach, I'll go directly to Delray Beach.

I'm glad to go there, it's been a while I didn't spent all day kiteboarding :D

ricki 10-23-2010 05:49 AM

You are welcome Antonin. If you look at the zone wind forecasts moving southward down the coast you will see things pick up as you move towards the south. The zone north of Jupiter is expecting around 15 kts. and the zone immediately south of it, 15 to 19 kts. If you look at ikitesurf right now that is what the winds are approximating. It is around 12 off Jupiter right now, not real good, further south it picks up. The wind has been going all night so there will be waves at least long the windier parts of the coast. So, Delray should be a bit stronger than Jupiter from what is showing up this morning. It is a tighter, congested launch with a narrow corridor for access beyond 100 yards but NE 16 St. in Pompano might be even a bit better than Delray. Lower waves and a bit more wind from current indications. The launch rules are posted on a sign there if you go. As you know, all this varies daily. Often Jupiter has more wind than points south, just not this time.

Anto 10-24-2010 09:45 AM

Thank you Rich; I followed your advice, I went to Pompano because it looked more windy.
In the middle of the afternoon, it was very light but at the end of the day, it was really perfect in 14m.
The waves was not very big and it was OK to get out.

It was very good, except the fact that I lost my GoPro HD (and my leash didn't resist...) and I hurt my feet. It is weird because my feet was more or less good after the shock, and at 9pm when I was eating it begins to hurt so bad, impossible to walk! I came back at the motel on one leg, I put ice, but it didn't change anything, I had a lot of pain for few hours. I took Ibuprofene and tried to sleep, and this morning, I feel a lot better. It is very strange, the pain was so intense last night I thought I will be injured for weeks, but at the final, I'm almost good to ride this afternoon :lol:

Despite that I don't regret this trip and I will do it again soon to get this great east wind, very happy to have rode the Atlantic ;)

ricki 10-24-2010 08:59 PM

You are welcome! It picked up again nicely today, Sunday, hope you felt up to getting out. Some guys were even on 9 m kites. I did a short six mile round winder shooting video from the kite and chest harness. I am sorry to hear about your GoPro. I dropped one free diving on a wreck in 125 ft. of water in lower visibility a month or so ago, sucks. Still, it beats dropping a camera worth several thousand dollars! Sorry to hear about your foot injury, hope it heals fully and fast! Keep working at wave riding if you like it, it can grow on you.

Anto 10-25-2010 08:11 AM

I went to Juno Kitebeach yesterday, but unfortunately when I walked my feet was not very good, so I stayed on the beach (I prefer to miss one sesh than to be injured longer!)

The wind was very good, and the waves really bigger than at Pompano. Indeed, it is probably better to have a side wind to begin in this condition! I can't wait to come back there. I saw some crazy moves in surf, it was pretty interesting to watch.

It sucks for my GoPro, I don't have the budget to buy it again, but it is just materiel so I don't want to feel too sad about it, next time my leash will be indestructible :D

ricki 11-20-2010 09:27 AM

Nice session last night, waves and moon. Could have used more consistent wind but it was fun all the same. Anyone else get one in?

Safe_Cracker 11-30-2010 08:46 PM

Actually Ricki this is the most wind I have seen on my holiday trip 17th-29th, ever! I rode almost every night under that moon between Lauderdale pier and Pompano pier only I think it was two or three nights it didn't blow. I choose not to go to far out usually the swim buoy because I alway feel like shark bait and I use extra flotation for that " JUST IN CASE" moment ;) . Now the other night (28th) was spectacular, the moon didn't come out till 12:40 and when it did was a deep, dark yellow. I finished up that night with a down winder from Lauderdale to 16th, fricken awesome. I returned back to Chicago with a HUGE smile can't wait to come back in Feburary. For now I will have to settle with Lake Michigan which tomorrow when I go to Miller Beach in Gary IN will be 29F 20kt gusting to 25kt with a water temperature of low 40's :p REFRESHING WOOHOOO!!! Hold down the fort till I get back...

Polo:cool:

ricki 12-01-2010 03:52 PM

Glad you had a good trip with wind! Sounds like some intense dry suit weather back home. Stay warm and safe and see you back down here in February.

troubleshooter 12-08-2010 10:28 PM

Ugh!...I hope we are not getting in to that north/west wind pattern like last season. Kickin' 20-25 on Sunday late thru Monday......but west in it:mad:

ricki 12-11-2010 06:57 AM

No wind to speak of, fog as of 8 am but there seems to some nice swells. At least there was when things were under fog. Good for surfing, SUP in the waves or sponging. Here's shots from Jupiter and southern Palm Beach County:

http://evsjupiter.netfirms.com/zoo001t.jpg

http://www.evsboca.com/lat001t.jpg

More at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6734

ricki 02-13-2011 09:04 AM

A bit late but was that GREAT wind or what yesterday afternoon. I was able to go out late for a couple of hours. Had good close side shore wind away from the beach and landshadow boosting into the mid 20's or so. Wore a good full wetsuit so cold wasn't an issue. It sure was nice not to be underpowered for a change. Who else got some?

jibber006 02-13-2011 10:03 AM

lost Jimmy Lewis Board Saturday feb 12th on SoBe

please contact if you have any info on a blue Jimmy Lewis twin tip, lost on SoBe saturday feb. 12th

mahalo!

ricki 03-01-2011 10:11 AM

Starting tonight by the forecast, its about time too! This is for Palm Beach County but nice rideable winds are forecast for the entire east coast of Florida!

"Tonight...Northeast winds 17 to 22 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Dominant dominant period 3 seconds. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Isolated thunderstorms in the evening. Chance of showers through the night.

Wednesday...Northeast winds 14 to 17 knots near shore to northeast 17 to 22 knots in the gulf stream. Seas 4 to 6 feet near shore and up to 6 to 8 feet in the gulf stream. Dominant period 8 seconds. East northeast swell around 2 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Wednesday Night...East northeast winds 16 to 21 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet near shore and up to 7 to 9 feet in the gulf stream. North swell around 2 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Thursday Through Saturday...East winds 18 to 23 knots. Seas 7 to 9 feet. North northeast swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters rough in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers."

ricki 03-06-2011 12:18 PM

Nice wind run for several days through the weekend. Looks like more rideable wind on and off through the week. It is feeling more like a "normal" wind season this week, here's to it!

ricki 03-19-2011 06:11 AM

Where did this come from? Hope it happens!

"Sunday...Northeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet building to 4 to 6 feet in the afternoon. Dominant period 5 seconds. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Sunday Night...East northeast winds 17 to 22 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet building to 7 to 9 feet. North swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Isolated showers.

Monday...East northeast winds 14 to 19 knots. Seas 7 to 9 feet. North northeast swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Isolated showers. "

ricki 04-04-2011 10:51 AM

Rare good rideable wind is up, SE to SSE in the mid to upper teen mph range. Go grab some if you can!

ricki 04-04-2011 07:26 PM

Got out late, was well powered on a 13 m, could have gone a bit smaller. It was nice to have some "normal" spring wind for once. Who else got some?

ricki 04-16-2011 05:14 PM

Wow, nice session today or what! Winds 17 to 22 gusting to 25 kts. at one point. Fun times and no squalls in my area but some miles to the north and south at points. I was hoping to at least get 12 to 15 kts. per the forecast. Photos to come.

ricki 04-22-2011 09:03 AM

Looks like 15 to 20 kts E in the Keys through Monday. Have fun down there!

ricki 04-29-2011 06:43 AM

It looks good in the SE from the forecast for Saturday and Sunday. Hope it happens!

Tonight...Northeast winds 13 to 16 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Dominant period 5 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Isolated thunderstorms in the evening. Isolated showers through the night.

Saturday...East northeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Dominant period 5 seconds. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Saturday Night...East northeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Sunday And Sunday Night...East winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Monday Through Tuesday...East southeast winds 11 to 14 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop

ricki 04-30-2011 08:56 AM

The wind turned on within the hour. It is up to 17 to 20 kts. NE in Delray!

ricki 04-30-2011 09:48 PM

What a great day in parts of Palm Beach County. I know the wind was lighter at points to the north and south but we lucked out today. Winds were around 13 to 20 kts. for most of the day, ENE with some waves nearshore to go with. The water was clear and blue at points, almost felt like the Bahamas at times.

Hope some other kiters got some quality wind time in today. Tomorrow's winds should be more widespread by the forecast.

ricki 05-29-2011 03:53 AM

Better late than never ... WIND is on the way!!!

South Florida is forecast to have several days or more of wind in the 15 to 20 kts. range starting tomorrow. This May hasn't been that bad really, not nuking but rideable for quite a few days. Hope you can get out and grab some quality water time.

More at:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/

BigR 05-29-2011 08:42 AM

I don't suppose there'll be any way to kite from crandon next weekend?..........

gotta resort back to the old ways I guess..........

ricki 05-29-2011 09:16 AM

No, as far as I understand it, we're done riding there on weekends until after Labor Day. Its an annual tradition after all. You can hop a sea taxi boat to the flats however.

BigR 05-29-2011 09:34 AM

I dislike flat water,

but there are ways 2 launch just gotta be creative

Very unusual to get the forecast wind in June, Hope I didn't jinx it