FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's going on? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   hazard lights (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=4637)

inferno 09-18-2007 08:42 AM

hazard lights

for those who where there last night...
i was thinking of making some more fin lights for my board, i would be happy to make extras if other were interested, but i would have to sell them to you since they would cost me money to build...
if your interested, send me a pm and ill give you more info
peace
(and scott, i could probably get them to blinkbut it might cost you extra:) )

BigR 09-18-2007 08:58 AM

I believe you can buy led's with the blink circuitry prebuilt in them for prity cheap from digikey and other supplies of electronics parts. All you need do is hook up a watch battery with the appropriate resistor

inferno 09-18-2007 09:22 AM

not to mention water proof the whole thing and mount it in your fins....
im trying to comeup with the easiest, cheapest way, that will allow you to remove it from your board when not riding at night....... and allow for quick and easy installation......

popeye 09-18-2007 09:32 AM

Build it in a small epoxy block, with blink circuit and battery already connected. it'll blink for a long long long time... when it dies, make another one.

Or, if you really think you want a switch, use a magnetic switch. Stick a magnet over it to turn it on.

Skyway Scott 09-18-2007 10:47 AM

I am in, that system rocked.

Sean B 09-18-2007 11:44 AM

Count me in danny. Those lights were great! :)

Unimog Bob 09-18-2007 12:23 PM

If the cost is reasonable I love to have a set of those!

inferno 09-18-2007 12:49 PM

it will probably be about 10 bucks or so.... i just want to cover my own costs and not go in the hole.....

im still researching a few items, ill let you guys know when i get it nailed down...

Unimog Bob 09-18-2007 01:48 PM

Dude! hook me up fo sure. At that price you will be busy once the word gets out. Maybe you should edit your response, but still hook your bros up!!

Bob

toby wilson 09-18-2007 01:50 PM

Not to be a buzz kill but wouldn't these attract sharks on night rides? May as well slaughter a seal and chum the water, LOL!!! Not being negative, just a thought...;)

Skyway Scott 09-18-2007 02:41 PM

If you can't kick the ass of some poor wimpy shark, you shouldn't be in this EXTREME most risky of all sports!!

Kidding... we are in 2 feet of water, all that's in there is bait. :)

Unimog Bob 09-18-2007 02:52 PM

Toby,
Some people just can't help being a buzz kill... Where were you last night? It was rippin, we all missed you , some comic relief would have made it a perfect evening.

Bob

amber 09-18-2007 02:59 PM

a quick biology class...

male sharks basically "force" the female to "get it on". They usually wrestle into very shallow water and he bites down on her pectoral fins and does his business in the shallow water so he can keep her trapped.

In other news, nocturnal and crepuscular hunters use bioluminescence as a tool to both hunt and attract potential mates. So either Danny will be eaten by a shark or molested by a jellyfish. :)

toby wilson 09-18-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unimog Bob (Post 23292)
Toby,
Some people just can't help being a buzz kill... Where were you last night? It was rippin, we all missed you , some comic relief would have made it a perfect evening.

Bob

I'll be there tonight my friend!!!

Skyway Scott 09-18-2007 04:28 PM

I am leaving now, band is gone, time to rig. :)

popeye 09-18-2007 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Be where? We didn't see ya.

Danny... cast your own fins with electronics installed ... tint the resin...

toby wilson 09-19-2007 08:12 AM

I was at Lassing at 9:15, noone there, waited 40 mins for someone to show. SW at 10:15, noone there. I'm not stupid enough to ride at night alone... :(

bayflite 09-19-2007 10:53 AM

my 2cents
keep that stuff up on the kites
imo it can worsen your night vision.

make those fin lights come on only when separated from your board, or better yet when the board is upsidedown(damn i'm good!)and you'll sell a ton of em.
think about it.
you'll never forget where your board iz laying around(on land)az your packing up when it's dark.
peace

popeye 09-19-2007 11:32 AM

Weird, we were there until 10:00... Scott and I rode until 9:30.

inferno 09-19-2007 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayflite (Post 23351)
my 2cents
keep that stuff up on the kites
imo it can worsen your night vision.

make those fin lights come on only when separated from your board, or better yet when the board is upsidedown(damn i'm good!)and you'll sell a ton of em.
think about it.
you'll never forget where your board iz laying around(on land)az your packing up when it's dark.
peace

good thoughts but remember that these lights are under the board, not super bright (since they are in the fin) and they are the best night vision color (red), so they dont affect your night vision at all...
also while riding if i look down it just looks like i have neon lights under the board...
i could easily make them only turn on when the boards upside down, but i like the fact that they are visible to other riders while im riding.... if i wanting to put a little more energy into them i could make them solid while riding and blinking when the boards upside down...woudnt that be cool scott???? :)

btw, to those who were riding that night.... could you see them while riding???
thanx

bryanleighty 09-19-2007 12:45 PM

yes.. they were very visible from shore.. could see them a lot better than the red glow stick that scott had on his helmet..

i dont think the red glow sticks are very visible from a distance.

but a glow stick on the helmet is prob the best bet for a couple reasons.. hi-vis area, wont affect your vision, and.. you wear a helmet... which at night which is probably a really good time to do so..

in fact I am a bit pissed at myself for not wearing a helmet yesterday.. it was really nuking..

popeye 09-19-2007 03:08 PM

I forgot mine.... again today... crap.

Yeah I couldn't see the red glow stick. Your eyes are most sensitive to green which is why light sticks were green in the first place.

I haven't found light sticks to run my night vision unless I stare at them for a long time.

I could see the fins...only from shore when you were close... i dont think they would be visible to other riders.