FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   ** KITER BUZZ ** (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   South Florida Stage Race? Sat or Sun... (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=3975)

kent 05-16-2007 03:05 PM

South Florida Stage Race? Sat or Sun...

The forecast is looking great for Saturday and Sunday. Several of us just got back from a windless event in Texas and I'm wanting to crack of the wind a bit on my fast board.

What do you think about a 3 stage race on Saturday?

Stage 1. North Miami Beach to Crandon Beach Park (11 miles = 15 -30mins.)
Stage 2. Crandon Beach Park to Stillsville (6 miles = 12-20 mins.)
Stage 3. Stilltsville to Matheson Hammock (6 miles = 12-20 mins.)

Start stage 1: Beach Start 10:00 sharp. Finish between outside launch corridor buoys at Crandon.

Start stage 2: Beach Start approx. 11:00 (give time to wait for stragglers). Finish is the first person to clear the last boat anchored at Stilltsville.

Start stage 3: Shallow water Start Approx 1:00 (gives time to ride at stilltsville) Finish first person to pass the American Flag in the water at Matheson Hammock.

It is very important for each person to remember the finish place of each stage so that we can add points to determine the over all winner. Each position is worth 1 point and the lowest point at the end wins.

It would be good to have someone at Crandon volunteer to keep finish positions at Crandon. I can probably arrange to have my boat be at Stilltsville with a Cabrinha Flag flying high at the finish and someone to keep finishing positions. I'm sure that some nice soul would also be able to walk out to the flag at Matheson to take positions as well. Any volunteers?

The other option would be to keep stages 1 and 2 the same, but have the 3rd stage to be from Stilltsville back to Crandon. This will be upwind, but it's not that far. Thoughts?

PS. This would be UNSUPPORTED!!! There are no sponsors and it is just for fun if you decide to do so. If you don't ride good stuff or it's not in good condition, this is not for you (unless you can swim the 6 miles of open water from Stilltsville to Matheson. On the other hand it would be tons of fun for everyone and a good chance to kite some great Miami spots!

Kent

cabdriver 05-16-2007 03:30 PM

I volunteer to race, and Garry Menk volunteers to get his butt kicked by me!! Hah! --GARRRRRRRRY!!!!!!

todd

BigR 05-16-2007 06:41 PM

87th in NMB? where is da' actual start for old farts?

yo Kent, answer yo fone sometime

ricki 05-16-2007 09:36 PM

Sounds like fun, I'm in if the winds deliver.

How about it folks, this could be the LAST EVENT OF THE SEASON! It's a good opportunity to do a race where none has ever been held before. Scenic too. So, how about it?

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album221/...Xmas_Run_s.jpg
The sat. image from last years XMAS Run! This race is a little different as such some of the stops and way points are not shown.
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2866

500EPILOT 05-17-2007 08:14 AM

Matheson Finish Line

Kent, I was planning on riding at Matheson so I can volunteer for being the finish line judge, by the time you guys get there at 1:30 I will already have gotten plenty of riding in, I hope.

JP

HIGHFLYN 05-17-2007 08:53 AM

Hmm this run/downwinder looks familiar , I'm in!

Perhaps some one could PM me some contact #'s and let me know where my truck would be most useful, Since I'll be driving down from WPB

Looks as though this event should produce the winds that were lacking last time ;)

kent 05-17-2007 10:03 AM

What do you all think for stage 3? Back up wind to Crandon or down wind to Matheson? I guess that down wind to Matheson would be easiest.

Keep in mind that you really need to insure that you have a partner. Looking at the map it doesn't look too bad, but I assure you that swimming around in Gov. Cut would suck and that a break down west of the last stilltsville house would yeild about a 7 hr. swim.

JP. thx for the help at Crandon, we will keep communicating until we make this happen. The idea is that we get to ride each of the spots as well as race to them. I think that this could be great.

The other concept that works is that if you just want to do the last 2 stages it's easy. Some riders can just start at Crandon when we take off from there. It is important that when we restart that everyone comes together to insure that we can start again together.

Kent

kent 05-17-2007 05:27 PM

it's looking like sunday is better. what are you guys thinking? we could do miami course racing on Saturday from Crandon and the stage race on Sunday... chirp, chirp... it's pretty quiet out there.

Kent

BigR 05-17-2007 05:42 PM

just got home and looked at the forecast, hopefully it'll improve by tomorrow; wait and see I guess ( I don't think I believe the forecast for S FL, I think they'll bump it up ):

COASTAL WATERS FROM DEERFIELD BEACH TO OCEAN REEF, FL OUT 20 NM-
WATERS FROM DEERFIELD BEACH TO OCEAN REEF, FL EXTENDING FROM 20 NM
TO THE TERRITORIAL WATERS OF THE BAHAMAS-
308 PM EDT THU MAY 17 2007
SATURDAY
WEST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING EAST IN THE AFTERNOON.
NEAR SHORE...SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS. WELL OFFSHORE...SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET
SUBSIDING TO 2 FEET OR LESS IN THE AFTERNOON. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A
LIGHT CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.
SATURDAY NIGHT
EAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING NORTHEAST 10 TO
15 KNOTS AFTER MIDNIGHT. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET SUBSIDING TO
2 TO 3 FEET AFTER MIDNIGHT. IN THE GULF STREAM...SEAS 2 FEET OR
LESS BUILDING TO 2 TO 4 FEET AFTER MIDNIGHT. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A
MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.
SUNDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET NEAR
SHORE AND UP TO 5 TO 7 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

Versus Cocoa Bch:

COASTAL WATERS FROM COCOA BEACH TO JUPITER INLET OUT 20 NM-
402 PM EDT THU MAY 17 2007
SATURDAY NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS INCREASING TO 20 TO
25 KNOTS IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET. ROUGH ON THE
INTRACOASTAL WATERS.
SATURDAY NIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS INCREASING TO
20 TO 25 KNOTS AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 5 TO 7 FEET. ROUGH ON THE
INTRACOASTAL WATERS.
SUNDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS. SEAS 6 TO 8 FEET. ROUGH
ON THE INTRACOASTAL WATERS.

http://maps.fsl.noaa.gov/disp2.cgi?/...2_surf_wind+se

Bottom of page looks interesting

mbs 05-17-2007 11:49 PM

Kent - seems like sunday the wind may be good enough. Meet in the morning at matheson to leave a cars down there and carpool up to 87th?? But if the wind is marginal I won't want to risk getting stuck out in the middle of the bay if it dies out. I'll be watching the forecast and check the forum saturday night. Matt.

admin 05-18-2007 11:18 AM

Hey Kent,

This is the latest out of NWS:

SATURDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 2 TO
4 FEET. IN THE GULF STREAM...SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET BUILDING TO 4 TO
6 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP IN
EXPOSED AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

SATURDAY NIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS BECOMING 15 TO
20 KNOTS AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET NEAR SHORE AND UP TO 4 TO
6 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP
BECOMING CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS AFTER MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF SHOWERS
AND THUNDERSTORMS.

SUNDAY
EAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET
BUILDING TO 3 TO 5 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON IN THE GULF STREAM...
SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET BUILDING TO 5 TO 7 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.

What do you think about Sunday at this point? If it continues to look good where and at what time should folks show up?

kent 05-18-2007 01:10 PM

let't check the 4:30 update. it does look like sunday would be best. at worst case, i might do a jupiter to mia for fun.

Kent

admin 05-18-2007 03:36 PM

The north and south forecast sectors look to be the same with the 4:30 pm update from NWS:

SUNDAY
EAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET BUILDING TO
5 TO 7 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED
AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.

Of course the forecast and reality for that matter could change. Still, what do you think? A run from Jupiter to Miami could be a lot of fun, particularly if I can work out the driving.

kent 05-18-2007 05:08 PM

ok, ok, ok,... here you go... if the wind is really from the east, we do a 2 stage race.

Stage 1: Crandon to Ft. Lauderdale: if we are good Neil will buy us a beer.
Stage 2: Ft. Lauderdale to Crandon: if we are good Neil will buy us a beer...

this would fix the car issue and a down wind race really isn't possible out of the east anyway. it will be tight on the way up, but very fast on the way back...

come on..

Kent

ricki 05-18-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent (Post 19349)
ok, ok, ok,... here you go... if the wind is really from the east, we do a 2 stage race.

Stage 1: Crandon to Ft. Lauderdale: if we are good Neil will buy us a beer.
Stage 2: Ft. Lauderdale to Crandon: if we are good Neil will buy us a beer...

this would fix the car issue and a down wind race really isn't possible out of the east anyway. it will be tight on the way up, but very fast on the way back...

come on..

Kent

Sounds like fun and it's about 30 miles each way, correct? Should be nice with an easterly wind. I'm in, how about others? Hope the forecast holds or builds for Sunday.

oc xrated 05-19-2007 10:35 AM

For sure,I will get a crew together also. I am also in. Neil

oc xrated 05-19-2007 10:36 AM

What time at Crandon?

kent 05-19-2007 11:00 AM

how about 10 at crandon

Kent

mbs 05-19-2007 02:16 PM

Winds are predicted NE which could make getting from crandon to ft. lauderdale pretty tough. I guess we can just see how it is tommorrow morning but if the direction is NE 89th to matheson via crandon and stiltsville sounds like a nice ride. Matt.

oc xrated 05-19-2007 05:11 PM

how about Tiki Beach to Crandon, start time at 1pm. To give people time to sort out cars. Neil

kent 05-19-2007 07:48 PM

im in. see you at the start in FT. L. 1:oo sharp. finish at crandon on the beach, but must go in at the launch corridor. we should be finishing by 1:35 if we start on time. any one there that might be able to take pics and keep finishing times and positons?

Kent

mbs 05-19-2007 08:15 PM

I'm in too. But I've never kited in Ft Lauderdale so I need directions from Miami to Tiki Beach. And where's a good spot to park. Yeah! matt.

windydayzz 05-19-2007 08:18 PM

I thought Crandon was closed?? or are you just going to land on the sand bar and walk in??? What is the final launch area??

windydayzz 05-19-2007 08:50 PM

ok i see it was not crandon that was closed. My bad... But yes where is tiki beach is that the launch site. Not sure where that is yet. I can leave my car at crandon if someone picks me up from there?? and i will give a ride back to up...

ricki 05-19-2007 09:22 PM

You can find directions at: http://tinyurl.com/yvwqv3

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album191/3_G.jpg
and launch photos, etc. at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=1981

Take I-95 N
Exit east on SR-595
Go north on US Hwy. 1
Go east on SE 17 St.
Head east a few miles beneath two pedestrian overwalks and just past the second one east of Bahia Mar (a very large Marina) you'll see some Hobie Cats stored on the beach. Tiki Beach is beside the wood deck leading to the Hobie Cat launch due east of the Oasis Cafe.

I am out of touch with things at Crandon these days. I believe weekend access ended last year and in years past on Memorial Day, May 30, 2007. So, unless something else has kicked in we should be OK tomorrow. Can anyone confirm this?

The forecast looks pretty good,

SUNDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 3 TO
5 FEET SUBSIDING TO 2 TO 4 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON IN THE GULF
STREAM...SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED
AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.

It is gusting to 23 kts. already!

ricki 05-19-2007 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent (Post 19377)
im in. see you at the start in FT. L. 1:oo sharp. finish at crandon on the beach, but must go in at the launch corridor. we should be finishing by 1:35 if we start on time. any one there that might be able to take pics and keep finishing times and positons?

Kent

I'll try to remember to pick up some disposable UW cameras to bring along. Then again, you'll be there well before me so repeating Kent's question, can anyone shoot at Crandon?

mbs 05-20-2007 12:03 AM

thanks for directions rick. crandon has been open.

mbs 05-20-2007 10:19 AM

arggh. pouring down hard all morning at south beach.

oc xrated 05-20-2007 10:33 AM

Nice in Ft. Lauderdale, blowing 20. See you here. Cheers Neil

KitesurfUSA 05-20-2007 07:20 PM

Tiki Beach to Crandon Miami

5 Attachment(s)
A great turnout for a last minute race....
Mpeg video clip at the start of the Race 11.1 meg http://kitesurfusa.com/TikiBch-Miamirace5-20-07.mov

Photos & video clip by Chris Kjos
www.KitesurfUSA.com

http://www.kitesurfusa.com/TikiBch-MiamiRace5-20-07.jpg

admin 05-20-2007 08:36 PM

Great shots and video Chris, thanks for putting them up! It was a fun run, thanks to Neil, Kent and all the riders for bringing it about.

BTW Chris, stay tuned. Something is going up online that may be of interest tomorrow.

http://www.kitesurfusa.com/tikibeach.jpg
The starting point

ricki 05-21-2007 08:18 AM

Kent is putting together a writeup with the results of the 30 odd mile race from Ft. Lauderdale to Crandon. In the meantime, what do you remember? Did anything go wrong or right for that matter that sticks in your mind? More photos to follow.

kent 05-21-2007 09:46 AM

The down wind race was tons of fun. The conditions were far less than the Jupiter to Ftl. race but perfect for my 12. I would guess that we had winds ranging from 15-22 knots and seas to 3 feet at times. The inlets were very confused and offered a large challenge, especially for the strapless guys. Given the high tide, flat spots were few and far between.

We saw a variety of equipment being used. Boards ranged from production twin tips, strapless surf boards, directional, and even a water ski (that did very well).

In all I think that we had about 22-25 starters with 21 riders finishing the 28 mile course. The top 10 riders pushed it pretty hard while several others just wanted to ride some waves and see the coast.

Finishers: I can't remember all of the gear that riders are on, but I filled in most. feel free to correct spelling and equipment as Paula didn't know everyone.

1st Damien Thomas (slingshot 15 w/ ss circuit board)
2nd Kent Marinkovic (Cabrinha SB2 12 w/ DC directional quad board)
3rd Jordan ??? (North older version, not sure of board)
4th Garry Menk (Cabrinha SB2 w/ large water ski)
5th Todd Greaux (Cabrinha CB2 w/ production Cab Custom 133)
6th Hamish M. (Slingshot w/ strapless tri fin surf board)
7th Stew
8th Louis
9th Neil H. (Slingshot w/ ss srt)
10th Alex B.
11th Packet
12th S.A. Alex
13th Rob
14th Matt M.B.S.
15th Dougal M. (Strapless Surf Board)
16th Grace (Slingshot... 1st lady)
17th Burt
18th Rick I. (Cabrinha)
19th Andrea (Slingshot... 2nd lady)
20th Terri (Slingshot)
21st Jay

Kent

kent 05-21-2007 10:05 AM

What I remember...

I have been checking out different fins lately trying to find a board that goes very well upwind, but that won't kill you off the wind. I ended up using 2 back fins that we about 1 inch longer than what I use in the 60 down wind race. It was obvious right from the start that the board had tons more power, but not as much top end and was far more taxing on my legs. The nose seemed to ride a bit lower with the larger fins and when I moved my weight to the front leg, my speed suffered far more.

Jordan, Damien, and I were well in front after the first mile with Jordan being about 1/4 of a mile in front of Damien and myself. Damien and I rode basically overlapped for the first mile and then I seemed to push ahead by a bit. It took me until about mile 4 to catch Jordan and it happened when he took a spill. At this point I rode in the front by about 1/4 of a mile with Damien and Jordan battling it out just behind. I held my lead until about mile 21 when my legs started to leave me. Big Damien put on the after burners when the winds picked up a bit and caught me about 22nd street on Miami Beach. Briefly we went turbo off the wind, only riding about 6 feet apart. I caught a little chop and went over the bars ending with a wrapped kite with Damien! I quickly removed my leash just in case things went bad, but Damien had some quick thinking that helped the situation. We were up and riding again after less than a minute.

Damien pulled away by about 100 yards as I continued to struggle just before Government Cut. I took a few more falls and Damien looked solid and rode though the Cut. After the cut, he held a lead of about 2 minutes all the way through the finish. Jordan finished behind me by about the same distance.

In short, I felt that Damo's and my speed was very similar for the first 19-20 miles, but Damo's tree trunks took over when my rubber bands failed!

Good job Damien and thanks Neil for letting us launch at Tiki Beach!

Kent

oc xrated 05-21-2007 10:18 AM

Awsome day, great fun. The one thing that sticks in my mind was blowing out my footstrap 3 mile from the start, sucked but was inspired by Hamish and Doogle Mcdonald and said to myself hell with it if they can do it with no footstraps I can do it with one. Then Hamish pasted me as if I was standing still. Great time, Cheers all. Neil
Updated finish:
1st Damien Thomas 1hr 13 mins (slingshot 15 Fuel w/ ss circuit board)
2nd Kent Marinkovic (Cabrinha SB2 12 w/ DC directional quad board)
3rd Jordan ??? (North older version, not sure of board)
4th Garry Menk (Cabrinha SB2 w/ large water ski)
5th Todd Greaux (Cabrinha CB2 w/ production Cab Custom 133)
6th Hamish Macdonald. (Slingshot 9 Fuel w/ strapless tri fin surf board)
7th Stew (Slingshot 11 Fuel w/ custom directional)
8th Louis (Best 11 w/ stock twintip)
9th Neil Hutchinson. (Slingshot T2 14 w/ ss srt one strap)
10th Alex Bloechinger. (Slingshot 13 Fuel w/ custom twintip)
11th Packet (Slingshot 12 Octane w/ stock twintip)
12th S.A. Alex (Slingshot 16 Octane w/ stock twintip
13th Rob (Naish 12 w/ ss srt)
14th Matt M.B.S. Best 12 w/ stock twintip)
15th Dougal Macdonald. ( Slingshot 15 Fuel w/ Strapless Surf Board)
16th Grace Marcell(Slingshot 12 Link w/ custom twintip, 1st lady)
17th Burt (Slingshot 17 Fuel w/ stock twintip)
18th Rick Iossi. (Cabrinha ContraB 14 w/ Waterboards twintip)
19th Andrea Esno (Slingshot 15 Fuel w/ stock twintip, 2nd lady)
20th Terri Flicek (Slingshot 11 Fuel w/ stock twintip)
21st Jay (Slingshot 15 Fuel w/ stocktwintip)

mbs 05-21-2007 05:50 PM

What an awesome ride. It was my first race and also my longest trip yet. The 04 Nemesis is still working good. After the first two or three miles I settled in and started to make pretty good speed (relatively speaking) but I had four or five wipeouts throughout the trip that cost me time. I kept getting out ahead of the kites that were around me, then falling back again after wiping out. The water was gnarly through government cut and out in front of Fischer Island and the heavy boat traffic made things even more hectic. I saw two nice sized sea turtles along the way to Crandon.

After Crandon I finished the day with a ride further down to Matheson which was real nice. It was real fast down through the calmer water of the bay with my legs were already used the ocean.

All in all, an amazing day. I'll try to make it up to Ft Lauderdale so that I can get my ass handed to me in more races. Matt.

illibilli 05-21-2007 07:36 PM

I couldn't ride because of party I had but I can't WAIT to race again!!! Thanks to Neil, Rick, and everyone who promoted it!!! And Jay Deauschle for making it the entire way on his 1st Downwinder!!!! Awesome