FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Session Report! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   HOWZAWIND??? (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=991)

ricki 06-02-2008 01:49 PM

14 - 16 SE in delray

note- couldn't see west, it's dragging a thermal cloud stack seaward

check radar

ricki 06-25-2008 09:44 AM

12 to 16 kts., average 13 kts. SE reported in Delray with no squalls in site for now.

ricki 07-29-2008 04:30 PM

just saw a guy overpowered on a 17 m flat kite at delray. no squalls near. thermal wind in low teens, gusting higher sse.

HIGHFLYN 07-30-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickI (Post 35214)
just saw a guy overpowered on a 17 m flat kite at delray. no squalls near. thermal wind in low teens, gusting higher sse.

Today is a repeat of yesterday~ Get it while you can!

ricki 07-30-2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN (Post 35230)
Today is a repeat of yesterday~ Get it while you can!

Missed it again, second day in a row too. Hope no one got caught in the wind shift offshore. Looks like a weak cold front in late July?! Amazing, times are changing. It looked nice until around a little after 6 pm. Next time.

Jeff 07-31-2008 08:51 AM

Hey Rick,
Yup You sure did miss it.. The last two days werent bad at all in Boynton. We were all out on 15s and had a great session for July. Yesterday at around 600 pm the wind did shift or totally died. I was right near the beach so i just swam in..The kite just fell right down and that was it . There was also a local news crew at out spot covering the drowing of a lobster diver from Delray. Sad to hear that..He drifted from delray to Gulfstream...

ricki 08-02-2008 01:25 PM

12-15 FT. laud south

nasty squalls coming from west

check radar to see if you have time to rig

BizGuru 08-03-2008 01:23 AM

Yeah I took my brother out on the drift boat fishing at 1:oo pm only to watch thermals build up and people start kiting.... =-( When we got back at 5 I ran to the beach right as the last guys were getting off the water...

ricki 08-04-2008 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BizGuru (Post 35365)
Yeah I took my brother out on the drift boat fishing at 1:oo pm only to watch thermals build up and people start kiting.... =-( When we got back at 5 I ran to the beach right as the last guys were getting off the water...

Sorry you missed it too. I noticed it went off again yesterday, was good for a few hours then dropped like a rock and shifted offshore again. As long as I keep missing these sessions looks like you guys will be in for some good thermal winds?

Jeff 08-04-2008 08:50 AM

Hi All,
We all had a great Lightwind day yesterday at our spot. We were all on 15s and had a blast. I never realized how great a light wind day can be,Sunny,Wind, Clear Water it was beautiful...After a while a few of us started racing each other back and fourth.. Didnt see anybody out in Delray but there was a kite or two up near the inlet. I would give yesterday a 10 not for the wind but for an overall lightwind fun day. Late afternoon it was all gone...Hope some of you others got out !

Ross Bond(blu Swchblde 2) 08-04-2008 03:52 PM

im jonesing for some wind!! last time i felt wind and water on my face was driving down the highway, HURRY UP WIND SEASON!!! my last ride was my birthday, may 18th! im like a crack addict with no fix. i need me some wind.

HIGHFLYN 08-29-2008 10:55 AM

13-15kts in Boca right now :)

~n~ Building?

ricki 08-29-2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN (Post 36413)
13-15kts in Boca right now :)

~n~ Building?

Just stopped by the beach in that area over lunch. Waves are building and you can see wind lines being driven from the NE. I think it is build, thanks to the gradient between TS Gustav and the system to the north. It's 16 - 18, avg. 16 kts. ENE in Delray currently. Barring storms, didn't see much of that at lunch, it is ON!

ricki 08-31-2008 04:03 PM

Nice session today at Delray. I was a little worried about being swept over by a particularly nasty feeder band from Gustav just south down the coast earlier today. It looks like Gustav pulled far enough west to yank the feeder bands west with it and off my part of the east coast. Had no squalls at all for the second day session. I had a choice between 13 m and 7 m in new flat kites. Have several in between but they are a couple of years old. So, I opted for the 7 m. Guys were out on 9 to 12 m, must have been pretty lit on the larger kites. I did ok with quite a bit of sining at critical points. Well offshore about a mile out I could lock it in quite a bit. Even saw a pod of dolphins out there! They kept sounding and swimming off so I couldn't manage to get them to jump when I did. Next time! I hope no one went out in the squalls earlier today. It's sunny now and this one is over, til next time. Fingers crossed on those systems.

How did you do today?

HIGHFLYN 09-01-2008 08:15 AM

Haha~ Great job there on the 7m Rick, We went over to the West coast and Surfed the Jetties in Venice, FL

It was Fantastic, Chest to 1-2ft Over head with 20+mph Offshore winds. Seems as though there is still some wind here (PBC) this am along with a some waist to chest high surf. I'm off to the beach w/my 14m and surfboard!!!

Gustav has been good to FL~

ricki 09-01-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN (Post 36474)
Haha~ Great job there on the 7m Rick, We went over to the West coast and Surfed the Jetties in Venice, FL

It was Fantastic, Chest to 1-2ft Over head with 20+mph Offshore winds. Seems as though there is still some wind here (PBC) this am along with a some waist to chest high surf. I'm off to the beach w/my 14m and surfboard!!!

Gustav has been good to FL~

Sounds like fun, surf on the SW coast, there's a contrast! It was good this morning then the wind backed off, great swells too! I kept switching from my smaller to monster board, fun stuff either way. See it is blowing through nicely right now. Lots of guys are catching up on all that no wind time over the last few days.

How did folks do today?

ricki 10-03-2008 09:20 AM

Things are looking up for the weekend ...

SATURDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS BECOMING 15 TO 20 KNOTS
IN THE AFTERNOON. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET BUILDING TO 3 TO
5 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON. IN THE GULF STREAM...SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.

SATURDAY NIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET
NEAR SHORE AND UP TO 6 TO 8 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND SLIGHT CHANCE
OF THUNDERSTORMS.

SUNDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/marine.php

Maybe the wind will come a bit earlier and stay longer. Have fun!

caribkitesurf 10-03-2008 08:05 PM

yeah ... saw a forecast like that today, believe it when i see it... might get lucky and get some wind last day here in miami tomorrow. heres hoping!

ricki 10-04-2008 08:48 AM

Sorry guys, it looks like it has changed. Lots of weather inbound. Doesn't seem to have a lot of large holes either at this point.

More at:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6734

BizGuru 10-05-2008 01:10 AM

Well I was at the beach at 8am, messed around on the key for a nice session at 3:00pm when the skies cleared.

HIGHFLYN 10-05-2008 02:56 PM

There's still a few hours of daylight left (3:56pm) , In PBC it's currently 15-18kts ENE & building?

I kited this AM on a 14HP, But it looks to be w-a-y winder at the moment!

troubleshooter 10-07-2008 07:05 PM

Woohoo!

Looking like the 20's for Sunday Monday Tuesday.... Ikitesurf forecast for Crandon.

Bring it on!

ricki 10-07-2008 07:33 PM

Hope you're right. It would be good to see folks get some nice storm-free wind for a change.

I haven't had much luck with ikitesurf forecasts. Their realtime winds, weatherflow and other resources are great. The computer generated forecasts were rarely accurate however. How have they been doing lately?

Be sure to checkout the resources we have laid on for our area. Over time they've been pretty good with the odd exception at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6734

troubleshooter 10-07-2008 08:12 PM

Now why do u have to try and burst my bubble:rolleyes:

I hear ya. I'll use your resources and we'll see. I think with this area the iKite is a computer generated forecast and places like Hatteras and such have a live forecaster.

ricki 10-07-2008 08:20 PM

Nope, not in this case. The NWS forecast implies the same for Sunday (at the above link).

SATURDAY
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS.

SATURDAY NIGHT
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS BECOMING 15 TO 20 KNOTS.
SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS.
SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

SUNDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS.

We never had human forecasters checking the machine info down here in the past at ikitesurf. Have they added a forecaster down here?

troubleshooter 10-07-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickI (Post 37003)
We never had human forecasters checking the machine info down here in the past at ikitesurf. Have they added a forecaster down here?

Any iKite guys cruise the forum that can give us some feedback?

Im likin' that Sunday forecast. Nice direction too. It's time to dump the easterly and get some good coastal wind directions for a change. Lets keep it going til June!

SQFrederick 10-13-2008 07:11 AM

iKite

I haven't seen any sign of a live forecaster in south Florida... It's all just computer forecasts, and they usually aren't that close... I've been pretty disappointed with iKite since I got here. At least it does give me some idea of what the wind is currently doing...

HIGHFLYN 10-30-2008 10:53 AM

It's not Epic, But it's kiteable. None of the sensors are showing it either due to it being almost Due North. But from LW south it's 14-18kts and building

This is your chance to get your share of some Ocean "flat" water, before it swings around to NE this afternoon.

Peace~ I'm off to the beach

ricki 10-30-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN (Post 37402)
It's not Epic, But it's kiteable. None of the sensors are showing it either due to it being almost Due North. But from LW south it's 14-18kts and building

This is your chance to get your share of some Ocean "flat" water, before it swings around to NE this afternoon.

Peace~ I'm off to the beach

Looks like it just turned NE at around 12 to 15 kt.. May build, hope so. Have fun out there!

troubleshooter 10-30-2008 10:43 PM

Wooooohoooo!..........Again

NE 20-25 knots for Friday and 15-20 for Saturday. Sunday time to recover.

From iKite: Crandon Station

10/28/08: The building to which we are attached is undergoing renovations. We plan to install a new station, but do not have a date just yet. We hope to have it up in a month or so. We apologize for the inconvenience.

That sucks the big one. Down for a whole month in prime time? What building is the sensor attached to thats under enovation? Anyone know?

ricki 10-31-2008 03:40 PM

Saw a ton of kites off Delray at lunch. Had did it go today guys? Lots of wind and no storms that I noticed.

troubleshooter 10-31-2008 07:50 PM

Sweet day at Crandon. Averaging at least in the 20 knots. And man was it gusty. Thank god for depower.

But even with the gusts it was nice and solid wind and some really nice riding. Will do it again in the morining. Will have to see what the winds are forecast to be.

Edit:

Wow. Just checked iKite. Consistant gusts upper 30's to low 40's (mph) all afetrnoon with a rock solid 20 knots. Guess the meter is back up

ricki 02-16-2009 12:42 PM

NE 20 gusting to 26 kts. at Delray, windzhere!

Safe_Cracker 02-16-2009 01:04 PM

14 gusting to 18 here with an occasional 20 :) here in Pompano. All I have to say where the heck is everyone? I was down at 1000 s trimming a thruster 8m for like 2 hours with a little skimming I was surprised there wasn't many out... Polo.

ricki 03-16-2009 10:03 AM

Who got some wind over the weekend? Grabbed some in Islamorada and Palm Beach. It was on the lighter side but nice to get back into it.

ricki 03-27-2009 09:22 AM

Wind has been blowing for how long? Not stopping yet, forecast looks great for the weekend but keep an eye out for squalls ...

Rest Of Today...South winds around 20 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Northeast swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Tonight...Southeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Northeast swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Saturday...South winds 15 to 20 knots. Near shore...seas 2 to 4 feet building to 4 to 6 feet. Well offshore...seas 4 to 6 feet. Northeast swell around 2 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Saturday Night...South winds 15 to 20 knots. Near shore...seas 4 to 6 feet subsiding to 2 to 3 feet. Well offshore...seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Chance of showers.

Sunday...South winds 20 to 25 knots with higher gusts. Seas 2 to 4 feet near shore and up to 5 to 7 feet well offshore. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/marine/

ricki 03-28-2009 01:16 PM

Outstanding or what???! Some nice conditions today. Probably best for a 9 or 10 m but in new kites I have 7 to 12 +. Figured I would risk the 7 m, rigged it big and hope for the best. I was amazed to come to shore to retune it for LESS power. It doesn't boost all that great in marginal winds but for ripping in strong winds, in and around waves it works well. Locking in most of the time too.

How else got some good water time in?

theshiatispimpin101 03-28-2009 04:21 PM

Very Windy

Wind was extreme all day, 30 knts up to 40 knts, to much for my 10 meter switchblade which is sadly my smallest kite atm. I decided to drive out to EB to see what was going on, noticed some 7s and maybe smaller not sure. Watched as mike hall and billy parker did some huge jumps and kite loops :D

troubleshooter 03-28-2009 06:58 PM

Had about 15-20 knots in the keys today. Very nice riding. Solid wind too because it was just coming rocksolid off the water coming inland. Just enough side on to get you safely out there.

30 -40 knots??? Where was this?

ricki 04-07-2009 05:51 PM

4 - 6 ft. glassy faces off pbc, go standup! (winds offshore)