FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Upcoming Events! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   NEW - 60 Mi Central Florida Open Ocean Charity DownWinder (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=9238)

ricki 02-03-2010 06:49 PM

NEW - 60 Mi Central Florida Open Ocean Charity DownWinder

Just got this in from AJ with Kitetricity.com:

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album385/...oute.sized.jpg
Last year's race

"2010 Central Florida Open Ocean DownWinder

Kitetricity Kiteboarding, VooDoo Kiteboarding, along with Cancer Care Centers and Foundation of Melbourne will have the 2nd annual "Central Florida Open Ocean DownWinder" which will be held on either the 20th, 21st of February, with back-up dates of the 27th, 28th of February, or the 6th, 7th of March. The Event/Race will cover 60 miles of the East Coast of Florida, starting at Cocoa Beach and ending at Vero Beach, or vise versa, depending on the wind direction.

Brand New this year will be a 30 mile downwinder for those who think that they can not make it the whole 60 miles. The half-way point for that event/race will be at a place called Sebastian Beach Inn Restaurant (S.B.I) 7035 S. Highway A1A, Melbourne Beach, 321-728-4311. S.B.I is half-way from both directions, coming down from the north, or coming up from the south.

There will be a 72, 48, 36 hour "heads-up notice" prior to the Event/Race per the Wind. If the Event/Race starts at Cocoa Beach, it will start at a place called "Cheri Down City Park" (corner of Washington and Ridgewood Ave, Cape Canaveral), which is where we started last year. If the Event/Race starts from the Vero Beach end, then it will start at South Beach Access at the end of East Causeway Blvd (17th Street Bridge).

We are working on getting a 15 passenger van or something of that size to transport Kiteboarders and gear to the "Start Line". If this does come together, then Kiteboarders will meet at the "Finish Line" to be transported up to the "Start Line". We are also hoping that "Support Teams" (i.e., parents, friends, kite companies, etc) will be traveling A1A for any Kiteboarding support. The Passenger Van will be limited to gear and number of Kiters, and it will be a $5.00 fee per Kiter. So choose Your gear wisely before you get onboard the Van, it will be a "One-Way" trip ONLY. First come, First serve, unless We have a reason for two vans, just contact us so we can get a head count.

This is an EVENT/RACE, but it will not be that hard to figure out "How to Do it". Just go very FAST along the Shoreline, and avoid the two piers and one inlet. You must stay offshore at least 100 YARDS to be SAFE of the Life Guard Stations… PLEASE… There are only 9 on the 60 mile downwinder, so be COOL, and stay out of the "SWIM ZONE"...

On Event/Race Day, there will be a Skipper's Meeting 30 minutes before the Start, MANDATORY.. There will be a $40.00 Race Fee for All Kiteboarders. We will collect that the day of the Event/Race, prior to the Skipper's Meeting. We do have Clearance to Cross in Front of Patrick Air Force Base again this Year, but it will be a very small window, so try and get across that "Air Space" as soon as possible.

Kitetricity Kiteboarding and VooDoo Kiteboarding wants everyone to know, that if you do this Event/Race, You will be responsible for anything that happens to You and Your gear. This event is for FUN Only, and if you are not up to 60 miles in Open Ocean Conditions, then you should at least try the 30 mile part of the event. We are looking for Help for this event, if you just want to be part of history, and don't think you can make the DownWinder….Contact Us if you want to Help, We can use you...

This Event/Race will have a 1st, 2nd, 3th place finish for Men...(60 mile downwinder)
1st, 2nd, 3th place for Women..(60 mile downwinder)
1st Place for Master's..(45 years and older, 60 mile downwinder)

1st Place for 20 year old or younger..(30 mile downwinder)
1st Place for Woman..(30 mile downwinder)
1st Place for Master's..(45 years and older, 30 mile downwinder)

Schedule for the Event/Race Day..Loading for Transportation starts at 7:30 til 8:15...Transportation Leaves at 8:15… SHARP!
9:15 til 10:00 Reservation
10:00 til 10:30 Mandatory Skipper's Meeting
10:30 til 11:00 Getting Ready for the Race
11:00 Race is ON, if the Wind is Good...(15mph plus)

After the Event/Race is over, there will be a Trophy presentation at S.B.I. 7035 S. Highway A1A, Melbourne Beach, 321-728-4311..So enjoy the Food and Spirits until the "Rescue Team" has finished the Race..(A.J.Morgan, Scott Polera, and anyone else that wants to just come with us and enjoy the ride, instead of Racing, can but we will be moving as fast as possible also..)

There will be a Pre-Party Event at Sand on the Beach Bar and Grill at 1005 Atlantic St, Melbourne Bch FL 321-327-8951 the night before the Event/Race..We will be shooting for the 19th of February around 7ish...

A.J. Morgan

P.S. We are looking for any Sponsor’s to donate any “Swag” to the Event/Race, (i.e. t-shirts, hoodies, kite gear, board bags, magazines, etc) to be presented to the Riders at the Trophy Presentation…

Reigning Champ from last year is Sean Reyngoudt, who did it in 2 hours and 18 minutes... VDK"

http://kitetricity.com/images/logo.jpg

Photos from last years unique race at:
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=8052

kitebdr1962 02-04-2010 08:27 PM

We would like to go ahead and start Thanking some of the Event/Race Sponsors:

Cabrinha Kites
Crazy-Fly Boards
Epic Kites
Freak Dog/Caution Kites
GK/Litewave Boards
Kitetricity Kiteboarding
KiteWorld Magz.
Melbourne Cancer Foundation
Nobile Kite Gear
NSI
RedBull
VooDoo Kiteboarding

We are hoping for MORE to come onboard with this Event/Race...So put the word out to ALL your Sponsors, and tell Them to come on, and be part of History making again..

kitebdr1962 02-07-2010 03:59 PM

We posted that We were going to "try" and see if We could get a passenger van or something like that, to transport Riders and Gear to the "Start Line"...We are asking if Those who are interested would please respond to this post by Friday the 12th. So We can get a head count, and see if it is worth Our time even to get anything at all, are to just let the Riders fin for themselves...For Us to even get anything at all, it is going to cost at least $100.00 or more, and the Rider Fee would still be $5.00. We need to get at least 20 confirmed riders, anything less, We will have to charge $10 to $15 a head, to cover the cost of the Ride...We are very open to any idea's, if you have some, are We can just keep it very simple, and just let each Rider take care of Himself/Herself during Event/Race day....

kitebdr1962 02-08-2010 05:11 PM

We just rec'vd a phone call from one of the Florida's Windsurfing Clubs..They asked if They could be part of this Event/Race...By ALL means, everyone is invited to join in this Once in a Lifetime Event/Race for some, or a repeat of trying to "Hold Their Crown" for others...Come One, Come ALL..We just finished having the T-Shirts printed, and They will be for sale at the event for $10.00...

finkeeler 02-08-2010 08:01 PM

Lets do this!

I'm new to kiteboarding in the sunshine state. I'm training everyday possible to promote this sport and this race. I have barely enough money to suport my own but I do have transportation for 6 with gear leaving from pinellas. It might be a little tight with 6 but its all about the experience. I'm no stranger to the operations of downwinders and want to help as much as possible for this event. So to anyone who it may consern.... Car pooling, ect. Give me a call 7275045456 Aaron

kitebdr1962 02-08-2010 09:31 PM

Hey finkeeler...We are very glad to hear that you and your gang are coming over for the Event/Race..If you have people who want to come, and can not kite, then We can use Them as Volunters at the Event/Race...There will be a Pre-Party and We will give out the jobs then...Mainly looking for Help at each of the Finish Lines..i.e..keeping time, writing down the riders numbers as they come in, landing kites, etc..Be sure to pass the word around, this is going to be a VERY BIG EVENT/RACE...

kent 02-09-2010 05:13 PM

ok, so who's going?

From Miami we have:

Josh Noe
Todd Greaux
Bryan S.
Kent
Garry
Alex
Lee
Fritz

Probably a few more...

kitebdr1962 02-11-2010 10:49 AM

Hey Kent, Thanks for posting about you guys coming up to the Event/Race. We are hearing thru the "grapevine" that the energy is high, and that the Event/Race is going to have double, if not triple, the riders this year. So you better get ready for some fast times this year. I am concerned that I did not see any women on your list, not good. I am hoping to see more than one, which is all We had last year. We do have a Womens division this year again, so come on ladies, show Us men how it is done.

kitebdr1962 02-12-2010 09:04 PM

Okay, all is set for next weekend, if the winds come in. We just finished up with all the Trophys, and here is the order of Finishing:

1st place Mens Overall 60 Miles
2nd place Mens Overall 60 Miles
3rd place Mens Overall 60 Miles

1st place Masters Overall 60 Miles. (45 years and up)

1st place Woman Overall 60 Miles

1st place 30 Miles
1st place Master 30 Miles (45 years and up)
1st place Woman 30 Miles
1st place Junior 30 Miles

BTW, There will be NO Transportation offered for this Event/Race. No one asked for it, so We just cancealed it for this Event. Maybe next year.

kitebdr1962 02-13-2010 12:01 PM

I know that everyone is looking forward to this Event/Race, and y'all have no idea how much I am too, since I did not even make it all the way last year...lol..I am having a very small problem, but I know with all the people coming, that this small problem will be taken care of...I need Volunteer's..I am looking for at least 8 people, and these people will be given jobs to do at the Event/Race...i.e, keeping time, help land kites, collect money from the kiteboarders for the Event/Race and for T-shirts, etc..I will need 4 people at the 30 mile finish, and 4 people at the 60 mile finish..Any help afterwards at the Trophy Presentation would be helpful too..

kitebdr1962 02-21-2010 03:55 PM

We know that this is Sunday the 21st, and We all know that "Mother Nature" can decide what is going to happen with Us daily..We are looking at ALL weather sites to give Us the "heads-up" on what might be coming in for the next few days..What We are seeing is that the winds "might" be here for next weekends Event/Race, maybe..We are also seeing that the direction is looking like Side Offshore wind, which is NOT a great thing to see..But this is Sunday, and things will change between now and then..Keep looking at the "post" for the 72 hour notice, which We will post on Wednesday, if not sooner...Pray for wind and the right direction, please..

kitebdr1962 02-23-2010 11:44 AM

Hey Everyone..

It is looking like there might be something happening this weekend weather wise, what it could be is unknown at this time..Keep checking the weather like We are, and stay tune for further info to come..We are all set for the Event/Race to happen, but We are wanting to know, "How many people are really coming to this Event/Race"?..We have posted this before, but there was not very much response..So if you would, let's try this again, so We can get some kind of "head count" for this Event/Race..Just reply back to this email if you would, Thanks..We are hoping that the Event/Race is a "GO" for this coming weekend..If it is "Not a Go" for this weekend, We still have one more try, 6th and 7th of March..So hang in there, and start Praying for WIND, btw, out of the NNE or ENE...lol...

A.J. Morgan
Owner
Kitetricity Kiteboarding School
VooDoo Kiteboarding
P.A.S.A. Examiner
321-795-7626

kitebdr1962 02-26-2010 11:44 AM

Well, well, well...We see that "Mother Nature" is not going to help Us out this weekend AGAIN..We all now that She has been bring in Westerly winds here on the East Coast for weeks, which is NOT GOOD for Us, but maybe Tampa Bay..So We are going to Postponed the Event/Race AGAIN, til NEXT WEEKEND, the 6th or 7th of March..

We want everyone to know, that there has been a lot of time and effort but into this Event/Race, and We are wanting it to HAPPEN..BIG TIME..So please come and be part of this Event/Race, whenever We do get "Mother Nature" on Our side..

We do have an idea, and We are very open to hear from the kiteboarders about this..We know that there are future events coming up, like Tampa Bay on the 13th, Islamorada at the end of March, and then Miami on the 10th of April..

So We want to still have Our Event/Race without getting in the way of the other ones..So what We are wanting to do is try for the first available weekend while the other Events are going on, which would be the 3rd or 4th of April, if not then, the last weekends of April..17th or 18th..24th or 25th..We had this Event/Race last year around this same time frame, (April) and it was AWESOME..

The reason We are wanting everyone to still make this Event/Race is because a lot of Manufacturers like Epic Kites, Cabrinha, NSI, Nobile, Kitaddict, Crazy-Fly, SBC Kiteboard, VooDoo Kiteboarding, etc have come on board with this Event..Because of this We have added more finishing categories to this Event/Race this year..We have 9 BIG Trophies and 23 other places to give out after the Event/Race..So make plans to join Us, and We will keep everyone "updated" on the Event/Race, per "Mother Nature"..

motzi 02-26-2010 08:04 PM

So the date is perfect. I'll arrive tomorrow from Germany to Florida, and Mother Nature has been waiting for me :D :D :D
When it starts next weekend, I'm with you. I would like to starts in rear(guard) - because I want to see the coast in calm :rolleyes:

hrpufnstuf 02-27-2010 01:29 AM

Es ist nicht gut zu stehen in der Rückseite in englisch

John Moriconi 03-01-2010 01:17 PM

Hey, Do you still need volunteer's for the day of the race?
You can contact me at jrm6022@gmail.com or my Cell 954-410-6022
Let me know. Thank you, john

kitebdr1962 03-01-2010 05:17 PM

Would Everyone PLEASE do Us a favor, and do the "Wind Speed Dance"..The "Wind Direction Dance" was Awesome, Thanks.....It looks like the Winds are going to be in the RIGHT direction, We just Need the WIND SPEED...lol...

A.J. Morgan

kitebdr1962 03-05-2010 09:54 AM

We are having a hard time in making a decision on what to do about the Event/Race this coming weekend, most likely it would be on Sunday...

Here is what We are asking, and P L E A S E respond to this email, honestly.. We are seeing that there MIGHT be NNE winds at 14 to 16 mph on Sunday...DOES EVERYONE WANT THIS EVENT/RACE TO HAPPEN...and no I am not yelling, just made it in caps..

Now let Me let everyone also know, that there has not been any waves over here, and the winds are changing to the north by tomorrow, sometime..What this means, that by Sunday, the waves could be big and with iffy winds, this could be an unsafe downwinder, but you would just have to use a big kite, and a big board...

We want the winds to be like last year, which were 15 to 20 plus, out of the NNE..We have the right direction, but the wind is somewhat questionable, in Our opinion, but it is up to Y'all to make the call..The majority emails will make this call, and We will post asap to everyone on the decision..

If the Event/Race is put off again, then the next time frame will be April the 3th or 4th, after that the 17th, 18th, or the 24th, 25th..Everyone knows why We are doing it on these weekends..So We do not take away from the other Events coming up. So with that being said, could anyone that is thinking about doing an event during the posted dates, please email Us back..If not, then We will keep this Event/Race alive/going if We post-pond it again this weekend.

One more thing, if there is less people coming, then ALL the work that we have done to bring in the Big Sponsors, with all the categorizes, then all the Sponsors will not get Their due..We are hearing and hoping for at least 50 to 60 plus riders for this Event/Race, if the winds come in during the weekends..This weekend could bring in less, because of the speed..

Again, We are at the mercy of the emails, so make your call, and We will do what the Riders Want...

A.J. Morgan
Owner
VooDoo Kiteboarding
P.A.S.A. Examiner
321-795-7626

kitebdr1962 03-05-2010 11:56 AM

Hey Everyone...Well this is going to be the 3rd time that We have postponed this Event/Race...We have heard from the Riders, per say, and most Riders have said to wait..I know that there are a lot of the top riders out of the state, and they are wanting this to happen as badly as I am..They have their reputation on the line, and I have all the representation of the Sponsors on Mine..lol..

Here is the New Date for the Event/Race: March the 20th or 21st...

If you remember from last year, this was the exact same weekend..Winds out of the NNE 15 to 25, and huge waves, and very fast times too for the conditions.

We are still going to use the dates in April of the 3rd or 4th, the 17th or 18th, or the 24th or 25th if the winds do not work for Us on the March dates...after that, I will be shooting Myself, and cussing Mother Nature..

A.J. Morgan
Owner
VooDoo Kiteboarding
P.A.S.A. Examiner
321-795-7626

John Moriconi 03-15-2010 04:01 PM

Hey, I'm not able to volunteer on Saturday March 20th due to family comitments. I'm available for Sunday March 21th if the race is scheduled for this date. I will keep watching the posts. Thank you, john

kent 03-15-2010 04:27 PM

Thanks for hanging in there AJ. It will happen. The event was great last year and I'm sure it will be even better this year. I'm not too sure about this weekend, but you never know. Tampa looked positive for last weekend, but it didn't happen! Hope to see you up there soon!

kitebdr1962 03-19-2010 10:39 AM

Okay let's try this again..I have a concern, and I want the Rider's point of view...We see that there is going to be some wind on Sunday, looking like 14 to 16 out of the Southeast...I want to know if everyone wants to have the Event or wait..

I will be leaving this coming Monday to head to OBX for the season...BUT....I will travel back down to Melbourne each weekend to have this Event/Race, if We don't do it this coming Sunday..I want this to happen, but I also want the winds to be good for the Riders..So chime in here and let Me know what y'all want to do...Don't force the answer just because of Me, do it because you would come or not come, because of the wind speed...Thanks..

Next weekend of the Event/Race would be the 3th or 4th of April, after that it would be the 17th, 18th or the 24th, 25th...

A.J. Morgan
Owner
VooDoo Kiteboarding
P.A.S.A. Examiner
321-795-7626

kitebdr1962 03-20-2010 12:17 AM

Event/Race Update 3/20/2010

Well here We go AGAIN....The Event/Race is being Postponed...Here is the new dates for the Event/Race...April the 17th,18th or the 24th,25th...There will be NO April the 3th or 4th weekend Event/Race, because that weekend is Easter Weekend, spend time with your love ones..

Now on to something that happened today, which We are so excited about...We have a Helicopter on stand-by to do Photo shots of the beginning of the Race, and some shots at the Inlet...Patrick Air Force Base is also on stand-by, waiting for Our call to let them know when the Event/Race will be happening...

We also added three more categories to the Event/Race to be given away at the Finish of the Race...That puts Us at 32 categories for the Race...Thanks to ALL the Sponsors...

On a footnote...Josh Noe from NPX is still doing Their manufacturer part of the Event/Race, which adds a ton more of products to the Event/Race..Thanks for doing that...

If for some reason people don't make this Event/Race this year, like last year, then you better be sure to make plans to do next years...It is going to be BIGGER than this one, hint,hint,hint...It will be held on the month of February, 2011...

A.J. Morgan
Owner
VooDoo Kiteboarding
P.A.S.A. Examiner
321-795-7626

kitebdr1962 10-07-2010 07:24 AM

Well I hope everyone had a great summer, and kited enough to be able to make the "Downwind Race"...Well it is back on Again...I know that Mother Nature did not help Us in Feb, Mar, and even Apr., before I had to leave for the summer..Well I am going to be back home starting the 10th of Nov., and We are going to try and have the Event/Race on the 13th or 14th of Nov. If that weekend does not happen, then I plan to try and run it every weekend after that til the 12th of Dec....So get your gear ready, get your body ready, and start praying for WIND...Now We all know, that it is winter time coming soon, so most likely the Winds will be out of the North, which means that we will start the race in Cocoa Beach, and go to Vero Beach...Get your teams together, get your transportation crew ready, and lets go have a ton of fun in the Ocean with Mother Nature pushing Us to Our limits...Yeah...If you want more info, go to My website..www.kitetricity.com...I will be posting reply's and updates daily, after everyone reads this post...So tell All your friends...IT IS ON...btw, Windsurfers are more than welcome to be part of this too..We are all in the same family, "Wanting to Ride Mother Nature"....

ricki 10-07-2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitebdr1962 (Post 46582)
Well I hope everyone had a great summer, and kited enough to be able to make the "Downwind Race"...Well it is back on Again...I know that Mother Nature did not help Us in Feb, Mar, and even Apr., before I had to leave for the summer..Well I am going to be back home starting the 10th of Nov., and We are going to try and have the Event/Race on the 13th or 14th of Nov. If that weekend does not happen, then I plan to try and run it every weekend after that til the 12th of Dec....So get your gear ready, get your body ready, and start praying for WIND...Now We all know, that it is winter time coming soon, so most likely the Winds will be out of the North, which means that we will start the race in Cocoa Beach, and go to Vero Beach...Get your teams together, get your transportation crew ready, and lets go have a ton of fun in the Ocean with Mother Nature pushing Us to Our limits...Yeah...If you want more info, go to My website..www.kitetricity.com...I will be posting reply's and updates daily, after everyone reads this post...So tell All your friends...IT IS ON...btw, Windsurfers are more than welcome to be part of this too..We are all in the same family, "Wanting to Ride Mother Nature"....

Sounds like fun, thanks AJ for putting the race on again!

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album385/Cape.thumb.jpg http://www.fksa.org/albums/album385/Pier.thumb.jpg http://www.fksa.org/albums/album386/incoming.thumb.jpg

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album386/...nlet.thumb.jpg http://www.fksa.org/albums/album387/..._001.thumb.jpg http://www.fksa.org/albums/album387/Kent_Maui.thumb.jpg

A few images from the last great race. Lots more at:
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=8052

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album386/KENT_N_SEAN.jpg

FL_Kiteboarder 10-07-2010 10:24 AM

-

2010 Central Florida Open Ocean DownWinder Facebook Event Page

Marc

kitebdr1962 10-07-2010 09:13 PM

Thanks for the post Fl kiteboarder...I am hoping that things go well with the winds in Nov. and We have a great turn out for sure...Last year 30 plus riders, this year should be doubled at least, if not more...We are still looking for people to help if they wish too, just contact me at 321-795-7626, to find out more details...Be sure to check Our website at www.kitetricity.com for any updates..

kitebdr1962 10-13-2010 03:28 PM

We would like to Thank Andy from "Transcend" and His company for coming onboard with Our Event/Race in Nov...Thanks Again Bro, that means alot to Us and the "Cause"...

kitebdr1962 10-17-2010 05:05 PM

We here at Kitetricity Kiteboarding and VooDoo Stand-Up Paddleboarding are getting geared up for the downwinder...We are posting this to ask a simple question..."How Many People Can or Might be Coming"...We are trying to get a head count for the Hilton, where We will be having Our per-party..They are also going to work with Us on the room rates for the weekend..So if you know that you are coming for sure, let Us know, if your thinking about it, let Us know that too..We know that if it does not happen on the weekend of the 13th/14th of Nov., then it rounds over to the next weekends, etc...If need be, We will be doing it the weekend of Thanksgiving, because Thanksgiving is on Thursday, that gives everyone two days to spend time with their family, then come to the Event/Race and burn off that Turkey....

We are still Hoping for that "One Ticket Winner" prize from ANY Company out there, for the Raffle..i.e..Kite, Kiteboard, Surfboard, SUP, etc...Please let Us know if you have anybody that We can call and ask for that Prize..Thanks...:cool:

kitebdr1962 10-26-2010 11:09 PM

Well it has been an awesome week back here in Melbourne, so far..For some reason, the winds have been blowing here everyday since I have been back...Just got though doing two days of 15 mile downwinders, yesterday and today, of course getting ready for the Event/Race next month, starting the 13th of Nov...I am hoping that everyone else is getting wind, and getting your body ready for a "fast" Race...It is going to be hard to break that 2 hour and 18 minute time, or is it?..

We are still asking everyone that "might be coming", or "for sure coming" to the Event/Race, Please Let Us Know...It will help Us big time with the "head count" for the pre-party, and the "after party" at S.B.I...Thank-you for your response...

That "One Ticket Winner" price is still somewhere out there...We are still looking for that item...We are asking for any help on this, feel free to reply..

Last years Event/Race went very smooth with the help of a Personal friend....Thanks Shawn Frank....We would like to ask, that if there is anyone that wants to be part of this Event/Race, volunteering wise, be sure to contact Us asap...

We need help with:

registration sign-up
helping with the trophy event
both finish-lines will need help with "landing kites"
keeping eyes on the riders coming in
helping with the "Official Time" coming in

FL_Kiteboarder 12-09-2010 09:54 AM

-
LATEST UPDATE -

Quote:

‎48hr Race Update: (Thursday 12/9) - Race postponed until weekend of 1/8 or 1/9 2011.
Here are the main links for the Event-

The Main event information - http://bit.ly/2010FLDwnWndr

The latest event updates - http://on.fb.me/KitetricityVoodoo

The Facebook Event Page - http://on.fb.me/DwnWndrEventPage

____

Sandy Point 12-13-2010 10:27 AM

Do you think having this event on Surf Expo weekend may lower the attendance of the race? I would like to participate but wont be able to because I will have to be at the Expo.

Mike

kitebdr1962 12-30-2010 04:11 PM

Hey Mike...I am somewhat agreeing with you too...I am hoping that the winds blow more on Sunday, than Saturday..I know that the Expo will be from Thursday thur Saturday, and I was hoping to get everyone there on Sunday, if the winds do show up and stay for that weekend..If it does not happen that weekend, then keep looking back on the forum, because I am going to try and have this one of these "Weekends"...lol...Later Bro...

FL_Kiteboarder 02-09-2011 01:11 PM

-
LATEST UPDATE -

Quote:

Hey Everyone. The forecast is looking good for Saturday, the 12th. It is still holding at 15 plus, out of the N or NNE. It showed that it will be stronger in the morning, but could be lighter later on in the day. Our plans are to do the Event/Race as early as possible, which means, it could be the first "Sunrise Downwind Race" of it's kind..So keep praying that the forecast holds, and that Mother Nature will bring us great winds. Feel free to contact me if you need any help. We are also looking for a "head count" if the forecast holds, so we can give the local bar a "heads-up" to bring staff in for the "after party"...Thanks.
Here are the main links for the Event-

The Main event information - http://bit.ly/2010FLDwnWndr

The latest event updates - http://on.fb.me/KitetricityVoodoo

The Facebook Event Page - http://on.fb.me/DwnWndrEventPage

____

ricki 02-10-2011 03:24 AM

Things are looking encouraging in the forecast with a cold front on the way for Saturday:

"Friday Night...North winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. A light chop on the intracoastal waters.

Saturday...North winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Choppy on the intracoastal waters. "

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...lb&zmx=1&zmy=1

kitebdr1962 02-11-2011 01:06 AM

Here is a list of things to think about, if you are coming or just on the fence:

Prizes:

60 miles Open Ocean Downwinder:

1st Place ...Trophy and Swag
2nd Place...Trophy and Swag
3rd Place....Trophy and Swag
4th Place....Swag Bag
5th Place....Swag Bag
6th Place....Swag Bag
7th Place....Swag Bag
8th Place....Swag Bag
9th Place....Swag Bag
10th Place..Swag Bag

1st Place for 45 and older...60 miles...Trophy and Swag Bag

1st Place for Woman...60 miles...Trophy and Swag Bag

30 miles Open Ocean Downwinder:

1st Place...30 miles...Over All...Trophy and Swag Bag

1st Place for Woman...30 miles...Trophy and Swag Bag

1st Place for 45 and older...30 miles....Trophy and Swag Bag

1st Place for Junior...30 miles...Trophy and Swag Bag

BTW, don't forget about the Raffle, which we are giving away a 11' 6'' 2010 Amundson SUP, complete with an adjustable paddle.( in the box )..Tickets will be $5.00 each...

So PRAY for WIND...Please...This has been a year in the works/waiting/on hold..Time for Mother Nature to Step-Up and bring Us wind, here this Weekend

A.J. Morgan

kitebdr1962 02-11-2011 01:09 AM

48 hour Notice

There will be a 30 mile downwinder for those who think that they can not make it the whole 60 miles. The half-way point for that event/race will be at a place called Sebastian Beach Inn Restaurant (S.B.I) 7035 S. Highway A1A, Melbourne Beach, 321-728-4311. S.B.I is half-way from both directions, coming down from the north, or coming up from the south....

This will be the location for Our pre-party event on Friday night around 6ish or so...S.B.I. has good food and strong drinks, and it will be fun to see everyone that can make it...

The Start line with the wind direction they are forecasting will be at Cherie Down Park..that park is in Cocoa Beach on the corner of Ridgewood Ave and Washington Ave...The Finish line will be at the City Park at 17th E Causeway and A1A, in Vero Beach..There is a huge parking lot there, and the finish line will be on the beach, on the North side of the parking lot...

If you do the 60 mile part of the race, then you will need to make arrangements to get back to S.B.I. for the after party event..We will not be able to supply transportation...So bring a girlfriend, boyfriend, mom, dad, or just bring the whole family...

Be sure to bring a cell phone (water proof bag/phone) and some money (coins) to contact a ride from family members if you need a ride back, if you can't make the whole race...A1A will only be a block away from the beach at any given time...

It will be MANDATORY to contact me on my cell phone if you don't finish the Event....321-795-7626...Reason Why, So We will not have to send "Help/Rescue Crew" to find you...

There will be a Time Limit to this Event, and that will be discussed at the Skipper's Meeting...We are looking at least no more than 5 hours, then the race is over, time stops...

During the Skipper Meeting or even before, at the pre-party, if there are any questions, be sure to ask..If you want to ask before hand, feel free to contact me asap at 321-795-7626 or email me at info@kitetricity.com..

FYI, I am not god, and I am only going by what the forecast is telling me, just like you would, if you went out kiting for the day..We are looking at ikitesurf.com, wunderground.com, and other ones too.. So please not ask me "what the weather is going to do", "what you should do", etc.., just keep praying for the wind to hold, and then the Event/Race will be on, and you should be here...But I can help you with one thing for sure...Rule #1, ALWAYS bring ALL Your Kite Gear...lol...

***** Forecast as of 2/10/11 at 04:20 p.m on ikitesurf.com for the Cocoa Beach area, down to Vero Beach...North winds forecasted, with 14 to 17 mph winds...*****

A.J. Morgan

kent 02-11-2011 10:22 AM

right on the edge. still looks a bit NNW or am i missing something? how many people are doing it?

kitebdr1962 02-11-2011 12:12 PM

Everything is showing NNW in the morning early, then going North after 11ish...

kitebdr1962 02-11-2011 12:15 PM

FYI...There will be a "Crew" of guys that will be coming down as the "Rescue Crew" for the Event/Race..These guys will not be Racing, but just bringing up the rear..They will have a set pace that they are shooting for, but it will not be a "All out Race"...They will be a few minutes behind the start, and will check on each Racer if you stop along the way, and do not finish...More info will be told at the Skipper Meeting tomorrow...There will be NO Rescue Boat/Jetski for this Event....

There will also be people there who are looking for "Rides back to their cars" in Cocoa Beach...Again, We will not be able to supply ANY transportation back to the Cocoa Beach area...What would be nice is to have cars driven from Cocoa Beach down to S.B.I...I am sure with some help from the local kiter's doing the 60 mile part of the Race, that the one's that need "rides back to their cars", can get a ride back to S.B.I. better than getting a ride all the way back up to Cocoa Beach...

Last year we put "Race Numbers" on the Riders on top of their hands for Shawn to see at the end of the Race..This year, since riders will be given a t-shirt for signing up, if ask that you wear them..We plan on putting your "Race Number" on your right shoulder sleeve...When we run out of t-shirts, then we will put the "Race Number" back on top of your right hand...

A.J. Morgan