FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Let's Ride! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Cold front (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5205)

inferno 12-03-2007 06:40 AM

Cold front

well its not going to be much (atleast it doesnt look like it) but the forecasts say more wind to the north, so where is everyone going to.....

Skyway Scott 12-03-2007 06:49 AM

This is getting old, even for me.
I am pretty patient and use to seeing forecasts fall apart, but this is just getting lame.

Last night NOAA was saying pretty good wind, today it got shut down.
Rest of the week looks weak as well.
A few days ago they were saying solid 20 for 48 hours straight.

Oh well, this reminds me of what is was like most of the time prior to the last 2 seasons.

At least I got to ride Saturday a.m. for a solid hour in good wind and Tom has a tree. :rolleyes:

inferno 12-03-2007 07:18 AM

so does that mean you are backing down form the light wind challenge (HT vs Roo)?

Skyway Scott 12-03-2007 07:34 AM

I've got some stuff to get done today.
If it stays at 0 knots (well 3 from the South) yes, I will most likely not go out.

If it picks up to 8, I might consider it.
If it hits 12 (from some northerly component), I will most likely go.
Sad conversation, considering it's December and today is a cold front.

Steve-O 12-03-2007 07:46 AM

I think I have forgotten how to ride

Skyway Scott 12-03-2007 07:49 AM

I know I have. :?
I am getting better at swinging from trees and riding my bike, though.

Skyway Scott 12-03-2007 07:51 AM

Welcome to wind whiners anonymous.

toby wilson 12-03-2007 09:37 AM

Well, I DID go to Stacey's Country Buffet for dinner last night, maybe I could provide some good 'ol home made country wind for y'all...it might be a bit gusty though...

Danimal8199 12-03-2007 09:40 AM

Toby, Should I break out my 15 or my 12?

toby wilson 12-03-2007 09:44 AM

If you've got a trainer kite you might want to use that...anything else will just be too much kite. Just remember to hold your breath when the gust hits!!!

WindRyder 12-03-2007 09:59 AM

Hey, guys. You should get some wind from this front. It's honking up here, and only supposed to get stronger as the day goes on. Too bad I am stuck at work, while the rest of the crew hits Shell Island. Anyway, this is a strong front, and you should get something...hope you don't have to rely on Toby!!!

Skyway Scott 12-03-2007 10:25 AM

I hope so. It's not uncommon for you guys up North to get wind and we don't though, especially the first few. :mad:
Let's hope for wind. ;)

WindRyder 12-03-2007 10:29 AM

i'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys. we have had marginal winds up here too. today is the first day of real wind since last monday.

Skyway Scott 12-03-2007 01:53 PM

Danny,

I can tell by the baynews9.com sky cam that it just hit solid 9 knots gusting to 11 at Blue flag beach. I am going to go ride the Glide and do some sight seeing, if you want to come out and compare 15m Kites.

Anyone who is beyond bored at work and wants to watch us schlogg, we will be on the cam within 50 minutes (at least I will).
This is a sad, sad, winter season.

WindRyder 12-03-2007 02:01 PM

so sorry for you. roy and i are getting off work an hour early so we can parttake in this cold front that will hopefully reach you guys!!!

kite-4-life 12-03-2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inferno (Post 25822)
so does that mean you are backing down form the light wind challenge (HT vs Roo)?

Count me and the 15m Freak Dog in on this challenge. Bring your biggest kite and board and a box of Kleenex, cuz you're gonna need it!!!!:p :p :p
Don't sing it.... BRING IT!!!!

inferno 12-03-2007 05:35 PM

what a depressing cold front...
anyone want some cheap kite gear, cause im gonna take up knitting soon :confused:

shogun1204 12-03-2007 06:05 PM

Wow SUCKS TO BE YOU!!!

Man too bad, we just got off the water. It blew 20 to 25 knots up here! :D

Skyway Scott 12-03-2007 06:27 PM

That's odd. All the sensors in the whole State look low.
Do your guy's sensors suck as bad as ours?

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwher...27&siteID=1185

Skyway Scott 12-03-2007 06:30 PM

I am hoping for an hour of east on Wed or Thu morning.
Besides that, looks really bad. :(

jim 12-03-2007 07:01 PM

Lame lame lame is what the wind has been. Downright depressing.

Steve-O 12-03-2007 09:39 PM

If it were 10:30am instead of 10:30pm, this front might be a different story. Just like the last one, it peaked during the night hours with not much left over. I had a good laugh with Danny on the phone....decided to come up with a new copyrighted term....no longer "cold fronts" just "cold maybes".

Hope it holds until the morning.

BigR 12-04-2007 04:22 AM

uuuuooh, this "cold maybe" seems a lill'l chillier than the rest...

:D

WindRyder 12-04-2007 08:47 AM

yeah, our sensors suck too. so we just make a 5-10 minute jaunt to a spot and check it. a couple guys were out at one spot all day lit up on their 10 and 9. i rode the 8M Era, roy was on the 10M. beautiful sunset too!!

Tom Stock 12-04-2007 11:52 AM

just switched..

Just switched to N, seabreeze... thinking it might work today in a couple of hours on the beaches.

Danimal8199 12-04-2007 03:04 PM

this wind sucks big time...

Can anyone on here say anything to cheer me up? I got the no wind blues.... :confused:

All i heard all summer is that when october comes how great the wind starts to pick up, I buy a shiney new 12m over a month ago and I haven't even inflated it yet.

What the french toast man?

Sean B 12-04-2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danimal8199 (Post 25920)
Can anyone on here say anything to cheer me up?

Falafel :cool:

Danimal8199 12-04-2007 03:36 PM

what does that mean???

Sean B 12-04-2007 04:16 PM

Falafel (Arabic: فلافل falaafil (help·info); also known in Egypt and Sudan as ta'meya, Arabic طعمية), is a fried ball or patty made from spiced fava beans and/or chickpeas.

It was just a shot in the dark, i was trying to give ya a quick laugh. Oh well, maybe next time....

Skyway Scott 12-04-2007 04:38 PM

Falafel King in Gainesville use to be great. :)

PaG was good today from about 12:30 to 2:30.
Unfortunately, I showed up at 2 and Tom a tad later :(

Two windsurfing friends were fully powered (and it was obviously windy) when I first arrived. I rigged and rode powered for about 20 minutes, then it started to die. I switched to the Glide and rode for about an hour (sight seeing upwind, basically). When I was switching boards, I got the "it was good 2 hours ago" talk. (UGGGGHHHH!!!!!)
Then it really took a dump, to sub-10 knots.
It basically sucked.

There is a reason no major kite school ever evolved in St. Pete -- there is a lack of anything close to consistent wind here support the operation.
Not enough to draw people from out to town here, anyway. St. Pete just isn't that great a place to give consistently reasonable lessons.
Unless you consider watching a student flounder around in less than 12 knots a reasonable lesson.

Imagine how huge a kiting school we would have here if it blew every day, even if just 6 months of the year.

I am sure Steve-O and other instructors can attest to how difficult it is to actually schedule a lesson around here in reasonable wind.
It's hard enough to find wind just to ride. :(

jim 12-04-2007 07:14 PM

check out forecast for miami and the keys on NDBC and i windsurf-unreal how different the wind forecast is just a few hrs south. Forecast for here..............shitty

Skyway Scott 12-04-2007 07:21 PM

A root canal would have been more fun than today's skunk. :mrgreen:
Well... maybe not, but close.

BigR 12-04-2007 07:25 PM

Quote:

check out forecast for miami and the keys on NDBC

gettin' some crandon butter and virginia key waves is the best

oh yeah! da' hood is callin'

nothin' like crashin' at the pad and sushi after killin' it all day!

Steve-O 12-04-2007 09:05 PM

Uh yeah, full time kite school....no way. I haven't taught a lesson in at least a month. Been skunked a bunch....and when the wind really does come....its cold as hell which scares some people off. Well not all the time, but that can be the case in Jan and Feb.

Met a guy this morning...early...and it already died. Just can't see teaching in 10knots....its sucks for both parties involved.

Went to bed last night and it was blowin 25+ in the gulf and woke to vomit wind conditions. What gives. I think I got more time on the water this summer.

I am still thankful for what we do get when we get it. It's as good as anywhere....well almost. Would still love some great wave action but that ain't gonna happen on the left coast.

There's hope...here is a link to the IKite archive for Dec 06 at the Skyway.

http://www.ikitesurf.com/windAndWher...phicalAreaID=0

Got some great video and pics of wakesurfing behind the boat this weekend. Will get posted soon.

Late

Skyway Scott 12-05-2007 07:51 AM

I am convinced the last 2 years showed us some exceptional winds.
I remember Jeff Weiss from about 7 years ago teaching here. (he got smart and moved to Brazil several years ago)
He dedicated himself to teaching full time. It was exceptionally hit and miss for him arranging lessons. I also remember teaching Donna about 4 years ago, and it was exceptionally hit and miss for us. I can't tell you how much time of hers I wasted trying to get her going in sub 12 knots.
It just made here dislike kiting for a while, trying to learn in that stuff.

I also remember going out with Donna on days the forecast said "serious wind" with all the gear rigged and ready on the boat for boat launch, just to sit around and wait in our wetsuits in the area b/n the backside of SW and East Beach.
This blown forecast and lame wind is nothing new to me, you would think I'd be used to it. But after 2 good seasons, it's hard to warm up to the thought of all the skunks again.

Oh well, every season is different. I do remember last season being simply phenomenal. It blew 17 weekends in a row. The local fishing guys were going crazy talking about how windy it was on Capmel.com

I would settle for one day every other weekend at this point. ;)