FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's happening? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   WIND!!! (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=1279)

ricki 04-10-2006 06:34 AM

WIND!!!

Checkout the color radar to try to avoid squalls, hazard warnings if any and rig well. If you are new or don't have a small enough kite, it would be good to sit out the 20 to 25 mph days. Anyway, WIND'S ON!

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/marine.php

Hazardous marine condition(s):
Marine Weather Statement
Short Term Forecast
AMZ650-670-101430-
/O.CON.KMFL.SC.Y.0015.000000T0000Z-060410T2200Z/
COASTAL WATERS FROM JUPITER INLET TO DEERFIELD BEACH, FL OUT 20 NM-
WATERS FROM JUPITER INLET TO DEERFIELD BEACH, FL EXTENDING FROM
20 NM TO 60 NM-
407 AM EDT MON APR 10 2006

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON

TODAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS INCREASING TO 20 TO 25 KNOTS IN
THE AFTERNOON. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET BUILDING TO 6 TO
8 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON. IN THE GULF STREAM...SEAS 7 TO 9 FEET
BUILDING TO 9 TO 11 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON. INTRACOASTAL WATERS ROUGH
IN EXPOSED AREAS. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

TONIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS. SEAS 6 TO 8 FEET NEAR
SHORE AND UP TO 9 TO 11 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS ROUGH IN EXPOSED AREAS. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS EARLY IN THE
EVENING. SCATTERED SHOWERS THROUGH THE NIGHT.

TUESDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS. SEAS 6 TO 8 FEET NEAR
SHORE AND UP TO 9 TO 11 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS ROUGH IN EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

TUESDAY NIGHT
EAST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 6 TO
8 FEET. IN THE GULF STREAM...SEAS 8 TO 10 FEET. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS ROUGH IN EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

WEDNESDAY
EAST WINDS AROUND 20 KNOTS WITH HIGHER GUSTS. NEAR
SHORE...SEAS 5 TO 7 FEET. IN THE GULF STREAM...SEAS 8 TO 10 FEET
SUBSIDING TO 7 TO 9 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS ROUGH IN EXPOSED
AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

THURSDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 6 TO 8 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF
SHOWERS.

ricki 04-10-2006 08:21 PM

Who made it out tonight?

http://windomatic.com/image_display/...eedHistory.gif

OUTSTANDING!!! The waves were around head high at points with a long smooth area at times inshore of the inner breaker line. This was off Delray where the wind plot shown is from (Windomatic-Thanks Jay).

You could rip out and boost big off the swell faces, land inside another breaking wave and out run it blasting down the coast and then rack offshore again. Wave riding and just going off at its best.

We're supposed to have this again tomorrow?!

Yee-Ha!

HIGHFLYN 04-11-2006 07:58 PM

Yee Haaa is right Rick, I just got back from the South Side of Boynton Inlet and it was FANTASTIC !!

Semi smooth due to the inlet blocking the surface chop, But the wind swell was rolling in waist to shoulder high. Perfect for huge top turns and some great toe-side wave riding!

The 8m was WORKING today 8) (crossingmyfingers) for 1 more day of ENE 20+

ricki 04-11-2006 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN
Yee Haaa is right Rick, I just got back from the South Side of Boynton Inlet and it was FANTASTIC !!

Semi smooth due to the inlet blocking the surface chop, But the wind swell was rolling in waist to shoulder high. Perfect for huge top turns and some great toe-side wave riding!

The 8m was WORKING today 8) (crossingmyfingers) for 1 more day of ENE 20+

I can visualize it. The ground swells can set up perfectly arching to the SE off the channel and north jetty of inlet if the tide and wind are right. I have yet to ride there and stopped at the park just to the south in downwinders quite a few years ago. If must be a blast barreling into those perfect ramping ground swells for huge jumps.

It was great tonight again though. Boosting nice jumps on a 12 m flat kite and slicing all over the place through the wide breaker zone off Delray.

Yes, it would be great to get more of the same Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

HIGHFLYN 04-12-2006 03:45 PM

Almost time to un-cross our fingers! were gonna need them to hang on to our bars. It's still cranking out there. 15 minutes and counting till it's fly time.

~watching the clock~

ricki 04-12-2006 09:55 PM

Hope it was a good session. I was able to stick in a couple of hours before a system came in spiking the wind a bit. The forecast seems to continue for our area through tomorrow. I am having trouble remembering the last time we had such great winds for a four day period. Waves and wind, gotta love it!

HIGHFLYN 04-13-2006 07:39 AM

Wind spike :shock: WOW is all I can say, I saw that squall line out on the ocean off Palm Beach/ Lake Worth. I came in a set my 10m down and man an I glad I did. There had to be gusts upward of 40mph that hit. I was able to get about an hour session from 5-6pm.

I learned a valuable lesson last year during a session. I was out on a 12m having a blast in 18-22mph and a feeder band from Katrina blew thru. I was lofted ~scratchingmyhead~ what seemed to be atleast 50ft up and over 100ft downwind. Fortunatly I popped my QR and managed to stop being dragged over the surface of the water like a ragdoll. Downed my kite and wrapped it up for floatation. I rode the current thru the Lake Worth Pier and finally made it to shore some where around 200yards north of the Pier. This whole event started happening more then a 1/2 mile south of the Pier. Lost one of my favorid boards that day. But saved my life :)

There are WAY to many GOOD days to risk it on the questionable ones.

Looks like were ON again for today :thumbsup:

ricki 04-14-2006 12:14 AM

Quote:

Wind spike :shock: WOW is all I can say, I saw that squall line out on the ocean off Palm Beach/ Lake Worth. I came in a set my 10m down and man an I glad I did. There had to be gusts upward of 40mph that hit. I was able to get about an hour session from 5-6pm.

I learned a valuable lesson last year during a session. I was out on a 12m having a blast in 18-22mph and a feeder band from Katrina blew thru. I was lofted ~scratchingmyhead~ what seemed to be atleast 50ft up and over 100ft downwind. Fortunatly I popped my QR and managed to stop being dragged over the surface of the water like a ragdoll. Downed my kite and wrapped it up for floatation. I rode the current thru the Lake Worth Pier and finally made it to shore some where around 200yards north of the Pier. This whole event started happening more then a 1/2 mile south of the Pier. Lost one of my favorid boards that day. But saved my life :)

There are WAY to many GOOD days to risk it on the questionable ones.

Looks like were ON again for today :thumbsup:

What time did the squall blow through yesterday roughly? Our squall in Delray never quite came together (about a 8 mph bump up) although it tried for a while.

When was your incident during Hurricane Katrina (date and rough time)? It came ashore in SE Florida at about 6:30 am on August 25, 2005. I would like to try to find the radar images for the time of your lofting. Glad you came through OK!

HIGHFLYN 04-14-2006 07:56 AM

Quote:

What time did the squall blow through yesterday roughly? Our squall in Delray never quite came together (about a 8 mph bump up) although it tried for a while.

When was your incident during Hurricane Katrina (date and rough time)? It came ashore in SE Florida at about 6:30 am on August 25, 2005. I would like to try to find the radar images for the time of your lofting. Glad you came through OK!
I'd have to say that squall line blew thru around 6:30 or 7pm. It caused a friend of mine to dump his kite, which blew a panel out. He re-launced it to make it back to the beach. A gust hit blew him down wind, with the wingtip panel blown out the kite didn't react normally and down it went into one of the rock groins (No more kite) totalled.

As for the Episode I had last year, I honestly can't remember the day or time that it happened( The winds were SSE and it must have been between 12 to 5pm'ish) *scratchingmyhead* I remember the events and that I searched for my board for Mmmm about 2 hours (Never to be found)

Ahhh well lessons learned threw experiance are always the best remembered.

ricki 04-14-2006 08:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd have to say that squall line blew thru around 6:30 or 7pm. It caused a friend of mine to dump his kite, which blew a panel out. He re-launced it to make it back to the beach. A gust hit blew him down wind, with the wingtip panel blown out the kite didn't react normally and down it went into one of the rock groins (No more kite) totalled.

As for the Episode I had last year, I honestly can't remember the day or time that it happened( The winds were SSE and it must have been between 12 to 5pm'ish) *scratchingmyhead* I remember the events and that I searched for my board for Mmmm about 2 hours (Never to be found)

Ahhh well lessons learned threw experiance are always the best remembered.

I think that was the same time the cloud line came into Delray and sent us into the beach as a precaution. It sounds like a the squall line developed ifor real a short distance to the north.

That sucks about your friends kite. It may be repairable, I have had panels replaced in the past.

Regarding your Katrina experience, was it before or after Katrina passed over our area?