FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's happening? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   KItin' the Keys ??? (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5874)

boardrider 02-27-2008 10:04 PM

KItin' the Keys ???

I'm hittin' the Keys end of March/ early April and would be stoked if I could get some local info on wind at this time of year :D :D :D. My 'big' kite is an 11m as I'm an Oregon kiter - What are U guys using?? How about the shark migration - should this be an issue? THX THX THX Vmuch. - Chris Fellows aka boardrider (NWkite.com)

noel 02-27-2008 10:33 PM

boardrider,

Hey! If we have a normal March/April, then your 11m may be fine. I would bring what ever you got as the conditions can change. Today I had a great session on my WW 9.5 Rampage 2 as did everyone else as they were on 9s too. Most of the week will be 9m-12m with next Wednesday a chance to be on 5-7m.

As for the shark migration. Don't worry about it. We don't see the mass migration that Delray Beach and others see though we do have our fair share. I have been here for 6-7 years and don't know of any shark attacks or bites here in the keys.

When you get here, check out The Otherside Boardsports for any more info or just ask here. If there is no wind then they have Stand-up Paddle Surfing, wakeboarding, skateboarding and more. Stop by and say Hi!

oTHErside Boardsports
mm 87.7 Islamorada
(305)853-9728

flkiter 02-28-2008 07:17 AM

Hey Chris,
You have a few options on places to kite. Islamorada, Marathon, and Key West are the main spots. Most of these spots have to be ridden with an East to South wind. Mostly North winds require going out by boat. Let the forum know where you plan on kiting and someone will be able to hook you up with the proper info for that area.
Later~Nick

boardrider 02-28-2008 10:03 AM

Thx for the info guys. I'm stoked to kite in warm weather - It's been @40 deg water and 50 deg air temps here - too COLD! - Chris

Noel - I'll be checking out your shop for sure! Thx

b-rad 02-28-2008 10:42 AM

hey chris...

and if it's north, you can ride at Whale Harbor...it's just off shore, but we have lots of jet skis and boats to rescue...we also invite experienced traveling kiters to hop on the boat when we are heading out to ride different n wind spots...ne is the bomb at the whale...

www.sevenkiteboarding.com

b-rad

Greg 02-29-2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noel (Post 29748)
I have been here for 6-7 years and don't know of any shark attacks or bites here in the keys.

There was a shark attack at Founders Park a few months ago.

Ironic thing is it was a marine biologist swimming at dusk. You'd think he'd know better ;)

boardrider 02-29-2008 02:45 PM

Kiting at dusk should be OK tho :twisted: . Thx again for the info. -
C