FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Southwest Florida (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   News from the beach (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=9685)

ricki 05-29-2010 01:14 PM

News from the beach

This just in:

"HAPPENING NOW - I JUST GOT A CALL FROM GABOR WHO SAW THIS AS HE WAS LEAVING - if anyone is headed down to siesta key beach (just north of the public beach) there is a guy with a funny looking kite (2-3 meter) who has a camera attached flying over the bird restricted areas

this is same guy that was at s lido yesterday and when asked by dan anderson who he was or who he was with woould not say

if anyone is headed that way it would be great if we could get a couple face shots of this guy along with his contracption - woudl not want the "bird" people to take shots of this guy and claim he is a "one of us" scaring birds

dan called me yesterday, but i missed him, by the time i got to s lido he was gone, i told rich and others that i woudl not approach him as a kiter but a concerned birder and ask him if he can not read the signs that say do not disturb the birds and ask him who he is (i woudl even go as far as to call the Fish and Wildlife Number listed on teh signs, put my phone on speaker and tell F&W that there is a guy harassing birds who will not identify himself - but hey, that's me)

anyway, if not today, keep an eye out for this guy and let's find out who/what is going on

kiter joe"

ricki 05-30-2010 09:51 AM

I talked with a very nice girl from the Audubon Society Friday night who was monitoring the area north of Siesta Key Public Beach. She offered to take me over to see two new nesting pairs south of the current roped off area. They have a dilemma because most all of these nests are on private property. If they upset a homeowner (like by roping off an area and cutting off access to the beach), they could get kicked off the property for trespass. They are trying to protect the birds, but not upset the homeowners at the same time.

They will have bird police monitoring all of these areas all holiday weekend.

Keep your eye out for the area just North of the Public Beach boundary where people usually fly trainer kites. This spot may or may not be roped off. The public beach will be too crowded for trainer kites this holiday weekend, so there may be no suitable area to fly. Please don't fly any kites near a crowd or wildlife area.

You can see Google maps with the current (approximate) location of the areas here:

www.sarasotakiteboarderscoalition.org

Rich Peck

ricki 06-25-2010 09:49 PM

A useful story and good advice just in:

"Hi

I wanted to take just a moment and stress how important it is to regularly "police" our beaches. I saw David (the kiter FORMALLY known as Landboarder David) informing 2 guys of the new kiting regulations this afternoon at 3PM at N Lido Beach.

The one guy was teaching the other on a trainer kite and they had a 12/14m laid out ready to be pumped up. They were way too close to the roped off bird area (they purposely went 200 yards north of the northernmost life guard hut to be away from the beach-goers but that put them right next to the bird area and they were not aware of the restrictions).

They were very cool about it and actually packed it up shortly after Dave spoke to them - Dave discussed the option of going off-shore/out in the water to practice body dragging.

Anyway, kudos to Dave and to the 2 guys. If you know them thank them. Both in their 20s. One guy had a chest full of ink.

Kiter Joe"

ricki 12-31-2010 12:21 PM

Just got a timely reminder from Kiter Dude out of Sarasota. The same considerations apply to other parts of Florida as well. Show a positive interest in visiting kiters with tips for things to pursue and avoid at the local launch, be considerate with bystanders, you know the normal things. Courtesy, common sense and distance will take you a long way to good sessions, a nice sight for tourists and fewer ban threats.

"Just a reminder that it is tourist season and although Laurel and Chris are doing a great job getting the message out to all the local kiters (and noobs) about our "regulations" we need to self-police our beaches especially now that tourist season is upon us.

No doubt we are going to have visiting kiters who didn't bother to call the local shops to get the lay of the land. And no doubt some of the visiting kiters (and maybe some of our own locals) are going to be kiting in swim zones, kiting or jumping to close to the beach or just plain being kooks. No one likes to have "the talk" but I encourage you to do so. If you feel uncomfortable approaching kiters take a couple kiters (or non-kiters) along with you. With only a couple exceptions, most visiting kiters I have spoken to have been friendly, understanding and kited/moved to the appropriate area.

Case in point, yesterday I came across Doug (OG) and his kids who are visiting. They were windsurfing and also had a 16m blue Crossbow blown up and ready to go by the water's edge on Siesta Public beach by the green life guard shack. I introduced myself and told him we self-regulate and if he is going to kite he needs to be well outside the buoyed off areas. He was cool about it and since there was no wind wasn't going anywhere anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I think this is important stuff worthy of a master list blast.

Happy New Years and good winds to everyone.

Kiter Dude"