FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Central Florida Downwinder Race (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   NEW Distance Race Cocoa Beach - Vero (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=8000)

ricki 03-11-2009 07:55 AM

NEW Distance Race Cocoa Beach - Vero

This in from AJ Morgan of http://kitetricity.com/:

"Hey Everyone,

I have heard from a lot of people, and they want to do this race. So "IT IS ON". There will be a pre-race party on March 20th at Lair's Pub located in Grant, Fl..(Bill's Marine on US1). There will be a 25.00 entrance fee for the race. Trophy's will be given at the end of the race for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall winners, a 1st only for Women, and a 1st only for over 40. There will be two weekends that this is going to happen from our end, March 21- 22 or March 28- 29. If there is no wind either weekend, then the entrance fees will be returned. You can pay by check at the pre-party. If no race takes place, then we will just tear up your check. If you pay the day of the race, cash only will be accepted. There will be a 72, 48 and 36-hour notice about the race giving you time to get ready for the race and get to the start line. The start line will be either in Cocoa Beach or Vero Beach. Either way, the race will encompass around 55 miles. Things are in the works to have a bus to take people back to their cars, after the race. It would be very wise to bring a cell phone and money in a water proof bag. A1A runs the length of the Race, so if anything happens, you can walk a block or so to the road and look for a ride to the nearest phone. The most important aspect that needs to be understood during this race is that, NO ONE is allowed in the Lifeguard area, and to stay far enough away from the Inlet and the Pier, which there is only one of each...Contact Me if you need to know more, if not, see you at the pre-party on Friday the 20th.

A.J. Morgan"

ricki 03-11-2009 07:56 AM

More details, maps, aerials and addresses SOON! I recall the distance is on the order of 55 miles from what AJ was saying.

ricki 03-16-2009 09:23 PM

This just in from AJ:

"Hey Everyone..
Well it is looking good for this coming weekend. March 21st- 22th. The ikitesurf website is showing wind coming in from the N or NE, around 15 plus. So with this info so far, we are planning to start the Race at "Cherie Downs' in Cocoa Beach. We will still have the pre-race party at Liar's Pub Tiki Bar, at 3800 US1 Grant, Fl. around 7ish on Friday, March 20th. There will be a skippers meeting there, and also the day of the race, an hour before the start. This Skipper's Meeting is Mandatory before anyone goes downwind, not exception to this rule. Now we all know that the weather could change between now and this coming weekend, so this is just a "Heads-Up", per say, nothing else. Vero Beach will be the end of the race, and there will be a party afterwards at the Caribbean Court, which is across the street from the beach. They do have rooms to stay in for that evening, if you wish to book it now. "

It is way off in the future but NWS forecasts 15 to 20 kts. NE for the area. Hope it happens, would make it almost ideal.

ricki 03-16-2009 09:57 PM

and this ...

"ust for those of you who might not have understood the last email regarding where the meetings are being held:

Meeting Friday night will be held at Liar's Pub in Grant.

Meeting Saturday (the day of the race) will be held at Cherie Downs.

Sorry for any confusion the prior email might have created.

If you have any questions, please email or call me directly"

ricki 03-16-2009 11:22 PM

Hey AJ,

What issues does Patrick AFB pose to this downwinder? We don't want to cause any problems.

ricki 03-17-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickI (Post 39407)
Hey AJ,

What issues does Patrick AFB pose to this downwinder? We don't want to cause any problems.

I tried to get a hold of AJ via email on this last night, asked for input via email or on here with no reply then or now. I am concerned about possible problems with a kite ride by of Patrick AFB. I recall years back we had some issues with Air Police chasing down kiters riding near there. It would be good not to aggravate the situation with a mass of kiters going through their take off corridor with training flight touch and goes. At least without permission or some assurances from the base that this wouldn't be a problem.

AJ, this is your que to speak up. Tried to help get the word out about the race per your request but lacking further input on the situation, this segment of the race appears to be ill advised.

kent 03-17-2009 04:26 PM

I hope it's not an issue. I understand that they down wind through this area quite frequently. It's such a short area, I wonder how far off the coast you need to be in this zone to be legal.

I can see that they don't want riders there all day, but given that the race start is just to the North, all riders would be through the area with in 30 minutes at the most.

I hope that this can be worked out.

On another note, if it can be worked out, AJ had better start pumping it now to get some interest. It's a pretty long drive to do so I'd like to see at least 50-60 riders there in order to make it fun.

Rick, is there any way you can toss up a poll to see how many riders are planning on attending? From my side, we have a good group coming, but only if there is going to be some good attendance, if not we will just do a fun down wind ride. Let me know. AJ WHERE ARE YOU???

ricki 03-17-2009 06:27 PM

I am still trying to find out how to setup a poll on here. Used to know how to do it on the last software package. Hope it is an option with the current setup.

Didn't you say guys regularly do downwinders off the airbase Kent? That is some pretty useful local info, as I've said my knowledge of issues in the area is years old. At that time there were problems heating up. It has been suggested running further offshore of the base. I think I was close to a mile off the south side of Lake Worth Inlet the 60 mile run before last to Ft. Lauderdale. It isn't that hard to do and could make a big difference in this case. Once again, this would be a great time for AJ to provide some input on his race. There is interest but there are also concerns, time for some information exchange.

ricki 03-17-2009 06:51 PM

AJ just gave me a call with a summary of things. He spoke to various USCG, Air Force and related personal at five offices related to Patrick AFB and the area. He described the race, what is involved and verified there were no problems with the activity. All parties he spoke with said they didn't have a problem with the race going past the airbase baring landing there or loitering off the base.

AJ told me after the start he will drive down to the north area of the base where to the boardwalk and verify that kiters stay a reasonable distance off shore, several hundred yards or more and successfully get past the base. He will intercede with issues that arise but from current statements, there shouldn't be any.

This is AJ's deal, not mine, but it sounds like fun and seems to be ok with the authorities. NOTE: this doesn't mean it is OK to launch and kite off the base because it is not. Locals likely know this already from years past. He will provide a lot more detail in the party and Captains meeting.

Boschoss 03-17-2009 07:02 PM

Downwind Race

I was VERY concerned about the race crossing through PAB. I know that they do not want kiters there at all. I called A.J. and asked him about it. He seems to think it will be OK. But I am still very concerned about it. Especially since this is my backyard and not his.

Anyone participating in this race PLEASE STAY AS FAR OUT AS POSSIBLE! You do not want to be greeted by a helicopter and machine guns.

Also...It is SPRING BREAK. The beaches have been PACKED! I do not see how tons of riders are going to possibly launch from Cherie Down. We rode there today at like 3:00 and the beach was very crowded. The race is going to be on a weekend too! You couldn't possibly launch 40 kites there on a Saturday. Not to mention all the swimmers up and down the beach!!! PLEASE STAY FAR OFFSHORE IN COCOA BEACH if you do participate.

If you are in the Cocoa Beach area and need anything for the race...stop by the Ron Jon Surf School and check out the ONLY kite shop in the area by Good Breeze Kiteboarding. The Surf School is two blocks north of the main Ron Jon Shop behind the Pizza Hut. We are also doing a Kite, SUP and Surf Demos in the main Ron Jon Surf Shop on the next two Fridays (3/20 and 3/27) between 2-4. Ride safely and call me with any questions about Cocoa Beach.

Billy Bosch (386-235-9804)

Boschoss 03-17-2009 07:26 PM

I just want to make it clear that Good Breeze Kiteboarding and the Ron Jon Surf School are NOT involved in anyway with this race. I hope that it is successful and runs smoothly. I will try to get away from work to check it out. Good luck to all riders!

kent 03-17-2009 07:53 PM

Great points Bos. I spoke with AJ as well and he is planning on addressing the distance issue around PAFB. As far as the launch is concerned, if we are off the beach at 10 am as planned, i can't imagine that this will be an issue if i can use Miami Beach as an example.

Apart from the base, i think that bringing a well attended event to this part of the state is a good thing. The area has suffered by not having many organized events and i think that it will probably be a benefit to the local kite scene in the long run. I for one totally understand the need to preserve access and will do my part to minimize our impact.

I'd sure like to see how many riders might be attending. Shout out if you plan on heading up.

Kent
Damo
Gebi
Josh "the npx guy"

are all in. see you there.

CrazyJay 03-17-2009 08:19 PM

Thanks 4 putting this event on so quickly AJ. Hopefully the wind Gods will bless your race as they blessed our TampaBay KiteMasters several weeks ago.

For us out-of-towners, can you give precise locations of the start and finish? What hotels, crossroads, etc..
Sorry if I missed this info somewhere along the way.
Thanks
Jayson Orkins

kitebdr1962 03-17-2009 08:53 PM

Race Info..PAFB..

Hey Guys. I am sorry that I have not been on this forum, but I have been busy with issues. I have talk to "People" at PAFB, they have said it will not be a problem. I will make sure of that after the start of the race, and put myself down at the boardwalk, to make sure everyone stays off the beach. If there is any law enforcement issue's, I will handle them before I start the race myself..I do know that this is Spring Break Time, but the race is going to happen early in the morning on Saturday, hopefully before the crowds get there. I too am from this area, and have been here kiting for over 10 years, so I can call this my own backyard, per say. I too do not want anything to happen to this Sport, and the business that it generates.I will be posting more info on the race in the morning, so be sure to check back on the forum..I want to give a "Shout Out" to Rick and Kent for helping Me to make this happen, Thanks Guys...Hope to see everyone at the party, if not, at the race site Saturday morning, 9:00...

kitebdr1962 03-17-2009 09:13 PM

Hotel, Location to Race Site, etc..

Hey everyone, its me again, I have figure out how to use this forum, scary..to you Jayson, there is a place to stay after the race, Caribbean Court. this is the place that We will be holding the Trophy presentation and it is the finish line also...Google it...Vero Beach...google Cherie Downs, Cocoa Beach..If you can not find it, Rick does have a aerial photo of the Start site coming soon, and it will show more. I am getting emails about PAFB, and I have all the answers to give, but this why you need to attend the Skipper's Meeting Friday night or one hour before start on Saturday, which will be at 10:00, therefore the meeting will be at 9:00..Just to let you know, this Race is for experienced kiteboarder's and there will be no chase boat to help you, but all Lifeguards along the route are aware of the event.

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album384/Race_Route.jpg
Overall route of race, about 55 miles

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album384/...Downs_Park.jpg
Approximate starting line in area of:
Cherie Down Parks
8492 Ridgewood Ave, Cape Canaveral

[img]http://www.fksa.org/albums/album384/Start_view_NE.jpg[/img]
A view to the NE, may or may not have land wind shadow at this location depending on actual wind direction. Would be good to watchout for rotor and stalling kites on launch anyway.

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album384/Patrick_AFB.jpg
Patrick AFB approximate 10 miles south of starting line. Aside from aircraft flying in and out, is there a real obvious landmark near the northern boundary that out of towners will easily remember and recognize from the water?

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album384/Sebastian_Inlet.jpg
Sebastian Inlet, the only inlet crossed by the race

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album384/Finish_2.jpg
Approximate finish line in area of:
E Causeway Blvd & Highway A1a, Vero Beach, FL 32963 US

All the locations shown are approximations as I am not totally certain of your exact starting and stopping locations.

Approximate intervals between waypoints of race:

Start to Cocoa Beach Pier (stay 300 ft. away minimum) 1.7 miles
Pier to Patrick Air Force Base 7 miles
North to south distance along Patrick AFB 3.5 miles
Patrick to Sebastian Inlet 26 miles
Sebastian Inlet to finish 17 miles

ricki 03-17-2009 11:31 PM

There are your aerial photos AJ. The scale isn't so great, it is hard to make out a lot of detail in them. You will need to mark the finish well, I suspect Kent has already talked to you about that given the apparent lack of real obvious landmarks for people unfamiliar with the area.

The shoreline there has lots of hotels and likely college students too currently. Your idea of staying at least 350 ft. offshore in this area and further off Patrick Air Force Base makes good sense based on the aerials. Patrick AFB is about ten miles south of the start.

It looks like the wind may be a bit up and down from the NORTH currently forecast (may change again!) at the start due to land wind shadow from the point north of the inlet (Cape Canaveral). I would expect gusts and lulls during launching and space out and manage your kites accordingly to try to avoid tangles, and get offshore pronto into cleaner air.

Boschoss made a lot of points worth considering and acting upon in his posts.

I know you are doing complete planning and execution for this Kitetricity event including safety planning and will be briefing participants thoroughly on things to do, not do and watch out for. I hope to make it up but may not be able to do so. Either way, have fun and be safe. By the way, what are you calling your distance race anyway?

kitebdr1962 03-18-2009 08:12 AM

72 Hour notice

Hey Everyone...

We are a go for Saturday morning...Forecast is looking like NE winds, 15 to 25...We will start the race at 10:00 a.m. Sharp....Skippers meeting at 9:00, and you must be there to hear it..Fee for the race will be done at 8:30 til 9:00...25.00 check or cash, NO CARDS..There will be a pre-race party Friday night at Liar's Pub, 3800 US1, Grant, Fl. 32950, and a Skippers Meeting there too, around 8:00. You can pre-pay there also before the race Saturday..Just to let everyone know, I have been working with PAFB, and all that info will be told at the Skippers Meeting, Friday and Saturday..The Race is "ON"...There will be a 36 hour notice coming soon..Get ready Riders, it is going to be a blast, and tons of fun, that is what this is all about..Be sure to check out the FKA forum, there is stuff there to read, and I will try and update info there also...Rick has put up a aerial view on this forum, thanks Rick..The start line will be at Cherie Downs Park, at the corner of Washington Ave and Ridgewood Ave, which is just south of Ron jon resort..Be sure to look it up, and be there for the meeting and start, not at the resort..The finish line will be marked well, so that should not be a problem..btw if anyone has people following them down, for a support team, be sure to have them take pictures at the Cocoa Beach Pier, and at the Sebastian Inlet Bridge on top of it, should make for some awesome shots..fyi, this race does not have a name, and I am just trying to keep a flame going here for neil, because we know that his Race/event will be back next year. I know about the local knowledge very well, and I know that there are some new shops that just opened up there. I will back sure that We do not cause any problems up that way for their future business. If anyone has family memebers that want to help in anyway, have them see me Friday night or Saturday morning around 8:30..Thanks Again for all the help Rick and Kent. Hope to see everyone soon..A.J...

kitebdr1962 03-18-2009 08:46 PM

Race update..

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to say, before I forget, I want to Thank Everyone that is trying to make this happen. This is what the Sport is all about, Team Work, Sportsmanship, and just Good "Old School" Kiteboarding...Thanks..

I do have an update on PAFB....They do not care if We go by in the Ocean..BUT..We are not allowed to Kite there because it is the Military..You can never Launch or Land there...period...This info comes from a "High Ranking" Officer..Just an FYI, since this is My backyard, per say, I do have contacts...lol...so with that being said, the race is "SO ON"...

The Race will start at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, and will end in 2 to 5 hours...he,he,he...Yes, I am writing this to the Guys who are going to smoke this, and to the people who, like me, are going to take longer...lol

There is going to be a lot of info to go over at the Skippers Meeting, so be sure to listen, and understand, because this is the first time doing this race.
Again, if You can make it, there will be a pre-race party, and We will do a Skippers meeting there, and one before the day the Race..If there are issue's at the Party Meeting, I will be sure to bring this to Everyone's attend at the Saturday morning meeting..So just bare with Me while I try and do the best I can to make Everyone Happy...Btw, this Race is All about having Fun and SAFETY...

If you are looking at the weather, like I have been doing, the winds are going to be blowing their butt off. So be sure to double check your gear the night before, and again the day of the Race, because there will be NO Safety Boat out in the water, unless the Coast Guard is called out. Be sure to have your cell phone and money with You in a water proof bag, just in case. Again there will be a lot of info to go over at the meetings, Friday and Saturday morning...

I will be sending out more info thru emails tomorrow morning...

Boschoss 03-18-2009 10:19 PM

I wasnt trying to offend anyone by my post. It's just that I live a block from the Pier on the beach and about a mile from Cherie Down. This literally is my backyard. I grew up surfing here and have been on the beach all day every day for a while now doing surf/kite/sup lessons. The idea of a tons of kiters going down the beach with the recent amount of people freaked me out. Due to heavy binge drinking of college students, they do tend come out a little later than 10am, so all should be good. Hopefully people will get setup kinda early so that the tourists don't put their towels and umbrellas in the launch area. I am excited that people will get to experience the amazing conditions we have. The forecast looks great for Saturday! As long as there is a decent amount of East to the wind, then Cherie Down will be a good starting place. The beach gets really gusty with NNE and sometimes NE but once you get past the breakers you'll find a good breeze. Keep your distance from the pier cause occasionally the fishermen find it fun to cast at kiters. I just found out about the race on Sunday and already have lessons booked, so wont be able participate. Good luck to everyone and have fun!!!

Boschoss 03-18-2009 10:31 PM

Answering Rick's question about landmarks for PAFB...Basically when the condos and houses end about 9 miles from the start, the Airforce base begins. Keep your distance!

ricki 03-19-2009 08:18 AM

The forecast is holding 20 to 25 kts. for Saturday, even improved a bit switching back to NE. With the wind starting on Friday, should have some waves on Saturday too, 7 to 10 ft. by current estimates. More wx info at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6738

AJ mentioned stopping at Sebastian Inlet Bridge to watch and photograph the kiters as they blow past. Here's a video looking towards the ocean from the bridge. Looks even better in real life.

The view from the north jetty is pretty good too as you can see in the following clip. If you're lucky, you might even see someone on Fred Flintstone's surfboard.

For folks that can't make it but want to see some of the action as it happens, be sure to monitor images at the following link, I would guess from 11:30 am on. The inlet is about 40 miles down the coast from the start. http://www.sebastianinletcam.com/

http://www.sebastianinletcam.com/dig001t.jpg
There are far better views on the site than the one shown above so be sure to monitor those as well.

Be sure to save some of the images and put them up here. Not everything shows up in the image archives. You can have a front row seat to part of the race from anywhere in the world!

mikerooka 03-19-2009 12:24 PM

time?

what time @ Cheries for Meeting & start?

ricki 03-19-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikerooka (Post 39481)
what time @ Cheries for Meeting & start?

AJ had this on the page before this one:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitebdr1962 (Post 39443)
Hey Everyone...

We are a go for Saturday morning...Forecast is looking like NE winds, 15 to 25...We will start the race at 10:00 a.m. Sharp....Skippers meeting at 9:00, and you must be there to hear it..Fee for the race will be done at 8:30 til 9:00...25.00 check or cash, NO CARDS..There will be a pre-race party Friday night at Liar's Pub, 3800 US1, Grant, Fl. 32950, and a Skippers Meeting there too, around 8:00. You can pre-pay there also before the race Saturday..Just to let everyone know, I have been working with PAFB, and all that info will be told at the Skippers Meeting, Friday and Saturday..The Race is "ON"...There will be a 36 hour notice coming soon..Get ready Riders, it is going to be a blast, and tons of fun, that is what this is all about..Be sure to check out the FKA forum, there is stuff there to read, and I will try and update info there also...Rick has put up a aerial view on this forum, thanks Rick..The start line will be at Cherie Downs Park, at the corner of Washington Ave and Ridgewood Ave, which is just south of Ron jon resort..Be sure to look it up, and be there for the meeting and start, not at the resort..The finish line will be marked well, so that should not be a problem..btw if anyone has people following them down, for a support team, be sure to have them take pictures at the Cocoa Beach Pier, and at the Sebastian Inlet Bridge on top of it, should make for some awesome shots..fyi, this race does not have a name, and I am just trying to keep a flame going here for neil, because we know that his Race/event will be back next year. I know about the local knowledge very well, and I know that there are some new shops that just opened up there. I will back sure that We do not cause any problems up that way for their future business. If anyone has family memebers that want to help in anyway, have them see me Friday night or Saturday morning around 8:30..Thanks Again for all the help Rick and Kent. Hope to see everyone soon..A.J...

ricki 03-19-2009 02:02 PM

This just in from AJ:

"2009 Downwinder Race
Friday Night Discussion Items:

1. Driver License: Everyone will need to bring their driver's license. A.J. will collect these BEFORE you leave the beach and will be put in a safe place.

a. WHY: It is ALL about Safety. If we have your driver's license, you will have to check in with us once the race is over so we ensure that you have not been "lost at sea". Most people will not think about calling me and letting me know that they made it back to shore Safely. This just covers my butt, when your family comes looking for you. Everyone will have a number put on the top of each arm, and then my cell number on the inside of your right arm.

b. Be sure to have money and a cell phone in a water proof bag.

2. START OF THE RACE: You will already be in the water, kiting back and forth, upwind. There will a person standing on the shore with flags. That person is the Start Line, and you must stay upwind of that person, before the start of the Race.

a. There will be ONLY Two Flags to deal with. One Red and One Green.

b. Red flag will be held up at 5 minutes before 10:00, one minute before 10:00, it will go away, then at 10:00, the Green Flag raises, and the Race is ON. If anyone goes before the Green Flag comes up, you will be DNF. PERIOD. This will not be hard to do, if you just stay upwind and wait for the Green Flag.

c. If you want to start on the beach, not in the water, just stay upwind of the start line, launch your kite 5 minutes before start, and then take off the shore when the Green flag shows.

d. We would really like to have everyone start out in the water, which makes it Safer for those on the beach. If you think that you would have problems staying upwind in the Ocean, then launch from the shore.

e. Try and stay as far away from each other (kiteboarders) as possible.

3. END OF THE RACE (Finish Line): There will be two flags in the ground, about knee high. You must go thru them to have your time recorded. There will be NO "the first one to land" wins. You have to walk thru the flags. They will be right on the shore about 10 to 15 feet away, so you do not get hit in the back with a Wave/Shore pound, per say.

4. The distance off shore will be discussed in the Meetings, Friday and Saturday.

5. The Race is still a Go, and ALL is a "GO AHEAD" From PAFB, ONLY just for this Event/Race/Fun Run, etc."

srq kiter 03-19-2009 07:41 PM

Hey what is the water temp like over there right now???

kitebdr1962 03-19-2009 09:12 PM

Race Update

Hey Everyone..I am glad to hear that a lot of people are coming to the Race, Thank-You very much...I did make a call to Yellow Cab today, and they told me, if you got a Cab from Cherie Downs and went to Vero Beach, one way, then it would cost 150.00..So that means that you should care at least that much money with you, to be on the safe side..The water temp will be in the mid 70's, but Me personally, I am going to wear a full suit, since I am going to be in the ocean for over 3 to 4 hours..Yes I will be doing this Race also, but I will not start til after everyone passes PAFB. That also means that I will be the last Guy coming in, so I am going to put a "Stop Time" on the Race. Rumor has it, that the Big Guns are coming to the Race, and they are trying to finish it in under 2 hours, Whow..With that being said, then I need to push the rest of Us to catch up..The window for the Race, time wise, will be two hours after the Pro's. If anyone can do it that Fast, then they are Pro's in My world..So the offical time for the race will end at 2:00, but wait, that does not been that you stop Kiting to the finish, that is just the Offical Stop Time. If I do not make that time, o well, I am in it for the long run. Remember everyone, this is the First Ever Downwinder on the Central East Coast, this far, and the first since 911 that anyone has had the offical "Go ahead" to cross in front of PAFB...Who cares all long it takes, its the point of beginning in this kind of Race..We will do the trophy event after 2:00, but not before I get there...lol..So to those who are waiting for Me to show up, be sure to have fun, drink a few beers for Me, I promise I will catch up, and be sure to show off your stuff in front of the Beach resorts..Freestyle Riding...

lawless 03-19-2009 11:22 PM

Just a heads up on swell conditions, here's a shot from today from around Melbourne Beach:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...brennan/11.jpg
(clearly a bigger set wave but indicative of the size of the swell, the winds this afternoon were only around 8-10mph)

Currently the buoy 20 miles off of Cape Canaveral is reporting 6' @ 11 second swell. The swell size is forcast to increase with the winds over the next 2 days. So plan on large swells running during the race. The starting area will be sheltered a bit from the swell by the Cape since it's from the NE, the Cape shadow goes away around Patrick AFB so plan on seeing increased swells south of that area all the way to Vero.

I went surfing today and the water temp. was 70. Come to your own conclusions on how much rubber to wear to stay comfortable. It's not cold, but it's not warm either.

Just heard about the race this morning but sounds like a lot of fun.

ricki 03-20-2009 08:09 AM

Nice swell photo! For folks that spend lots of time in South Florida, take away the Bahamas, add a few thousand miles of fetch and you can get some large nicely formed waves. Cocoa Beach is famous for them. In the race from Jupiter to Ft. Lauderdale the waves usually shrink as you move south. It sounds like the reverse may apply in this case.

Regarding wetsuits, another consideration are Portuguese Man-O-War. If you go into one it is nice to have some neoprene between you and the tentacles. A minor contact and anaphylactic shock threatened a rider in the race to Bimini requiring him to be rushed back to Miami for treatment. Just heard an amazing story from Kent tonight about catching tentacles in his eye yesterday! I was at a loud reggae concert and couldn't catch all the details. I think it just flew up there from some spray. He is ok but was in a lot of pain, what are the odds?! I will get the complete story and post it with photos. Only in Biscayne Bay? Folks get drilled down there by needlefish too. Lots of us have tangled with Portuguese many dozens of times, still it is nice when the tentacles don't reach your skin. Especially when you're trying to go somewhere, 55 miles away!

AJ mentioned waterproofed cell phones, a great idea. Camelpaks, powerbars are also a good to have along too. BE SURE to tighten all your fastenings on your boards, someone always has footstraps or fins fall off. Again bad timing for something like that. I would check your lines to make sure they don't need to be changed out. Inflate your kites and leave them for several hours to make sure there are no leaks, etc.. Broken gear in the middle of something like this frequently happens but is always a pain in the butt. Pays to inspect to try to avoid it.

There will be some large breaking waves as shown above, perhaps a lot of them. Some of the best of us have been thrown off the falls and sushi rolled in line, not a good thing. Hopefully, there will be a few obvious break lines making avoidance easier to do. There's a story about a kiter getting pulling under in big seas at the link below.

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=543

As fun as these distance races are, in the more extreme conditions they aren't for everyone. In the first pre-race from Jupiter to Ft. Lauderdale in similar winds and perhaps slightly larger seas over 25% were taken out of the running one way or the other, see below. I took my time in the run, around five hours, sheez. Hey, I was touring. Spent a good portion trying to avoid getting grabbed and rolled in big breaking waves. So, if you've done similar runs, feel confident and able to have at it, go for it. If not, think it over, its all about fun after all.

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=248...light=pre-race

Hey Craig, you were there and at most of the other distance races that year too. What did you think of the pre-race?

kitebdr1962 03-20-2009 09:48 AM

The Race Is Offical ON...

Hey Everyone..To does that are coming to the race on Saturday. It is Offical ON...The forecast is still looking awesome, and Yes the Waves do get Bigger as You go South of Cocoa Beach, real BIG..I would wear a full wetsuit, I am, and be sure to put a camalback on if you have one..There will be a half-way stop, if you feel like You can not make it, and it will be marked very well..Hope everyone can make the Pre-Race Party, and we will start the Skippers meeting around 8..3800 US1, Grant, Fl. 32950..(Bill's Discount Marine)

ricki 03-20-2009 09:51 AM

The forecast is holding, back to the NE, good thing.

Zone Forecast: Volusia-Brevard County Line to Sebastian Inlet 0-20 nm (AMZ552)

This Afternoon...North winds increasing to 15 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. A moderate chop on the intracoastal waters.

Tonight...Northeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Choppy on the intracoastal waters. Slight chance of showers.

Saturday...Northeast winds 15 to 20 knots increasing to 20 to 25 knots in the afternoon. Seas 6 to 8 feet. Rough on the intracoastal waters.

Saturday Night...Northeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 6 to 8 feet. Choppy on the intracoastal waters. Slight chance of showers.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...y=108&site=mlb

What is causing this wind ...

"Synopsis...A FRESH TO STRONG NORTHEASTERLY BREEZE WILL BEGIN TO IMPACT THE LOCAL ATLANTIC WATERS THIS AFTERNOON AND WILL CONTINUE INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK. HAZARDOUS BOATING CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED THIS WEEKEND WITH OCCASIONAL WIND GUSTS TO GALE FORCE. WINDS WILL VEER TO THE EAST MONDAY AND THE PRESSURE GRADIENT WILL DECREASE BUT SEAS WILL BE SLOW TO SUBSIDE...ESPECIALLY OFFSHORE."

They don't say anything about gale force in the current text of the marine forecast and yet there it is. By current expectations things may build in the afternoon, perhaps after the race is concluded. What size are you going to rig?

Boschoss 03-20-2009 08:02 PM

Well its blowing like crazy here (Cocoa Beach)! The wind still has a lot of North to it which will make it really gusty at Cherie Down on the beach. That is supposed to change over night though. If it is still gusty in the morning just do your best to get past the waves and it usually cleans up. The waves are huge! Just finished with some lessons at the 520 slick and had to fully depower my student on a 10 meter and he was still kinda overpowered. The beach was too gusty. I have some waterproof cell phone/MP3 cases for sale ($20) in the shop which I will bring to the start in the morning. The shop will open around 8:30 and I will probably take them to the beach around 9:15 or so. I only have like 4 left so first come first serve. Let me know if you need other last minute items. Looks like it going to be a good race!! Good luck to all the riders! 386-235-9804

kitebdr1962 03-21-2009 08:47 PM

Awesome race...

What Can I Say....This was the BEST Day of My life...Who would say that this was not nothing but one Hell Of Day....I just want to THANK everyone that made it to this "First Ever" Central Florida Race for 2009...I want to again Thank Rick, for all the posting, Kent, Billy, Gebi, for showing everyone how to ride FAST downwind..And the Biggest Winner of them All, SEAN...Who would ever guess that all the Great ones would get their Butts Kicked by a One-legged Bandit...Sean, you are My HERO, in so many ways...I hope that there is going to be more posting about this Race, why would there not be...Hope to see pictures soon, also...Thanks Everyone from the bottom of My New Heart, for being here, this meant alot to Me....:p BTW, Debbie you Rule also, being the only Woman Rider, and finishing this Incredible Race in under 4 1/2 hours..You put a lot of Men to shame, even Myself...

ricki 03-22-2009 07:40 AM

Thanks AJ for pulling this together and to all the folks for coming down. Congratulations to everyone that competed! Your section of coast presents some new challenges to some of the riders in different conditions. Photos are in the cooker and will follow soon. I know some interesting stories came out of this race.

What do you remember?

kitebdr1962 03-22-2009 10:50 AM

Race Results

1st Place: Sean Reyngoudt...2 hours and 18 minutes
2nd Place: Billy Parker...2 hours and 19 minutes
3rd Place: Kent Marinkovic...2 hours and 21 minutes
4th Place: Gebi...1st over 40...2 hour and 22 minutes....

1st Place, and the Only Woman, and over 40...Debbie Jackson...4 hours and 26 minutes...You Rock Baby...My female Hero...

We had a total of 22 Riders...Total of 57 miles...

Here are rest of the places and times...

5th Place: Gram Goodwin...2 hours and 23 minutes
6th Place: Demian Thomas...2 hours and 26 minutes
7th Place: Andy Hurdman...2 hours and 28 minutes
8th Place: Josh Noe...2 hours and 38 minutes
9th Place: Bjorn Dinberg...3 hours and 13 minutes
10th Place: Jayson Orkins...3 hours and 26 minutes
11th Place: Bryan Schneider...3 hours and 30 minutes
12th Place: Doug Smith...3 hours and 54 minutes
13th Place: Craig Priddy...4 hours and 01 minutes
14th Place: Shaun Jackson...4 hours and 03 minutes
15th Place: 1st Place Woman...Debbie Jackson...4 hours and 26 minutes

DNF People:

Chris Levins
Carlos Curti
Jan Boersma
Allen Lindsey
Erick Lov
Chris Moore
Keith moore

and Yes, I did not make it either...Just could not get around the Inlet...

Thanks to all the people that help Me put this on...Shaun Frank, Patty Moore, Andy and his Family, and anyone that I forgot to mention....Thanks to Caribbean Court for letting Us have the Finish Line at their resort spot on the beach, in Vero Beach...

danny31292 03-22-2009 09:42 PM

Great job guys (and Debbie). Here are some picture I shot.
http://danny31292.smugmug.com/gallery/7687789_xC5gc/1/496777121_apdXW

enjoy

Dan

kent 03-23-2009 02:04 PM

Good job AJ! The event was fantastic. Although there weren't too many riders, I couldn't believe how competitive the group was. I think that the length of the race was perfect. It was a good mix of physical endurance and mental strength.

While others thought that it was more difficult that the Jupiter run, I thought that it was less challenging given the lack of inlets and piers that the Jupiter event has.

The nicest part was the open areas of beach even during spring break. It provided for some fast lines and interesting tactics. We need to do a few more of these things pronto.

I don't know if you noticed, but at the awards it was nice to see all of the riders that just wanted to finish. It is a personal accomplishment for most and offers a unique challenge for anyone.

My hat really goes off to Sean. This was one of the tightest races that I've ever been in. I remember ripping down the coast thinking that he had messed up by being in too close when coming to the inlet. I passed him for the first time just at this point, but then he passed me again just before the pier. I didn't think that he would make it around and then he just slipped by and the chase was on again. For the next 15 - 20 minutes we were really flying and I believe that we passed each other 1 -2 more times. It seemed that he as a bit faster in the really windy stuff while I pulled in on him in the moderate areas.

When we were racing for first, at times we were with in 15 feet of each other. I'd try to go over the top and miss and then try again underneath. I finally made the pass over the top and he got a bit too close to the beach and had to point for a while. I made a pretty good gain and was thinking that the race was over. I could just see the last pier, but Sean was still in shooting distance. I decided to push it pretty hard for a while in hopes of Sean looking back toward Billy instead of up toward me. The unfortunate part was the Sean is a total competitor and never looked back. I got caught by 1 wave very near the shore at it washed me up to the beach. I tried to get going too quickly and was breathing pretty hard. I got washed 3 times and then tried to stand up on the beach. By this point, Sean had already passed me and I was just trying to get out in front of Billy. I decided to give it a go, but my legs failed me! I couldn't even stand up, let alone think about riding. I remember thinking "how the heck have I been riding"? I really didn't think that I'd be able to even finish at this point, but the finish was only about another 6-7 miles. I gave it another shot just as Billy went flying by. Washed up again. After 3-4 times of trying to launch in the strong current and onshore wind, I finally made it out. By this point, Billy and Sean had a good lead. For a few minutes, I thought that I might be able to reel in Billy a bit, but fell another 4 times and decided that I had better stick with 3rd before it turned into a 4th or a 5th.

In all it was a killer ride and racing with Sean, Billy, Gebi (who I helped to dunk in the water just 5 seconds before the start), and Andy was awesome. If you haven't done one of these before, do the next one. You can make it what ever you want to. Go for the win or just accomplish a personal challenge. It's a great ride with a great group of people.

Sean, you are one tough SOB and this was a great win! You deserved it. See you next time.

Thanks AJ and everyone else that made this happen.

C. Moore 03-23-2009 02:51 PM

Kent,

I have come to realization that I suck when it comes to these distance races. I was behind Gebi when you guys tangled on the beach and I laughed. I thought two less people to worry about. Then 5 minutes later you guys blazed passed me. WTF!!! Am I dragging an anchor. I kept loosing my board, leg kept cramping up but I proceeded on. By the time I passed Patrick's you guys were specs on the horizon. At that point I said, I will at least conserve my energy and finish. Once I past PAFB, I hit the shoreline to makeup lost time and was cruising at a good clip. Then mother nature hit me with a few waves and lost my board on the shoreline and I walked up wind to get it. I was finally in a grove making decent time and then I had another wipe out. I got back to my board and started cruising again and noticed my inner bag to my camel pack had fallen out. So I grabbed it and held it in my teeth and rode for a mile until I saw some people that could assist me on putting it back in. I asked this lady if she could put my bladder back in and she saw the yellow Gatorade and she thought it was piss. After convincing her and her boyfriend what it was they helped me out. Then 10 miles later I saw a storm approaching coming in off the water and I was going to play it safe and put my kite down until it passed. I met up with Eric and Al, we held out until it cleared. We all left about the same time and within 30 minutes my camel pack came out again. I decided to just take it off rather than trying to find someone to help me out again. When we all arrived at the half way point we were greeted by some smiling faces. I was told that Keith and AJ couldn't make it around Sebastian Inlet. Since we were the last of the group of guys we decided to call it quits and get a ride to the finish. Keith's wife Patty grabbed us and picked up AJ and Keith down the road. Thanks Patty!!

This wasn't as bad as Jupiter but it's like comparing apples to oranges. We are able to ride 90% of the coastline and we don't have to worry about sea walls. The only thing that made it hard was the storm and the wind switching.

Sean, you're definitely a inspiration to all. But I think you have a big advantage over me. Your front calf muscle didn't cramp at all now did it. ;)

Thanks AJ for hosting this event. Big props to you for putting this together in a short amount of time.

Great to see some old friends again and make some new ones.

kent 03-23-2009 03:51 PM

I know where you are coming from Chris. My legs really got burned out too. After the race, Billy and I were discussing the fact that Sean probably had an unfair advantage... Unfortunately his unfair advantage had nothing to do with his leg, it was his Pit Bull fighting spirit!

I'm going to chew on some shoe leather and eat rocks to toughen up a bit before the next race.

In truth, I haven't kited more than 3-4 times in the last 3 + months. I was however doing some light squats just to keep my legs from shrinking away totally. In the end, my legs were bad, but if i had been running or doing some cardio it would have helped be get off the beach. I just couldn't recover fast enough. In hindsight it would have been better for me to hit the beach and wait for a solid minute or 2 before trying to launch again. I got nervous and tried too quick and it cost me even more time.

The funny part is after the race i kept hearing people saying the same thing... "boy you sure looked comfortable, i didn't think that i'd catch you". Sean said this to me, but I can honestly say that I was never comfortable. I also heard someone say the same about Andy, Billy, and Gebi. In the end, i guess that the grass is always greener, but nobody in this race was ever too relaxed. It sure was nice to hear both Gebi and Andy say that their legs were fried too!

b-rad 03-23-2009 08:57 PM

it's cool to hear the stories...makes me wish I were there even more!!!

Sean, you are the man. You threw the heaviest mobes at ii09, and now everyone has proof you are fast as he!!

You inspire me...and many of us...the guys you beat are heavy...you rock.

Ride on buddy, ride on.

Erick 03-24-2009 04:20 PM

Although i didn't finish it was an awesome experience to ride along so many good riders. I decided to play it safe when that ugly nasty grey cloud was getting closer. Thanks to AJ, Patty and Keith for your great hospitality. Congratulations to Sean, man! you are a true winner as well as to Debbie you are amazing,. we raced head-to-head like for an hour.

Until the next one!

Erick