FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Session Report! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   HOWZAWIND??? (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=991)

RickI 02-18-2006 01:13 PM

HOWZAWIND???
 
In this frequent lightwind wonderland we live in sometimes whether or not it is rideable is a bit of a subtle call. This even using realtime winds, flags, trees, etc.. We often just don't really know until we're there.

What to do?

If you are at the beach and it looks rideable, tell us about it! It may change but then again, it might not before we can slide in a session.

This is a public service your kite buds can appreciate, so post and post often (that'll mean there's more wind!).

RickI 02-19-2006 12:32 PM

No wind in the forecast but it is going off Delray currently (Sunday, 12:30 pm):

Sideshore 15 gusting to 20 mph!

ikitesurf doesn't show any indication of this. Grab it while you can.


The winds eased off a bit after I got up there but were still ranging from 12 to 17 mph much of the time. Pretty good considering 5 mph was forecast!

RickI 02-20-2006 03:01 PM

The forecast is for 5 to 10 mph today, Monday, Feb. 20, 2006.

The wind is 13 gusting to 15 mph and perhaps building in the Delray area as of 3 pm.

RickI 03-07-2006 02:29 PM

WIND JUST TURNED
ON!!!

NNE 20 gusting to 24 mph at delray

it may build

HIGHFLYN 04-07-2006 01:02 PM

As I sit here at work, I'm watching the trees bend from the south/southeast @ 15mph+. Hope to catch a session this afternoon!

If thats not possible, Forcast for tomorrow is BREEZY 15-20 from the south :D

RickI 04-07-2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN
As I sit here at work, I'm watching the trees bend from the south/southeast @ 15mph+. Hope to catch a session this afternoon!

If thats not possible, Forcast for tomorrow is BREEZY 15-20 from the south :D

I hope to grab some water time myself later on today if things are rideable. Where are you located? 15 to 20 sounds good. It would be great if that happens for Kite4Girls on Key Biscayne.

HIGHFLYN 04-07-2006 04:09 PM

I couldn't agree more about the Kite4girls this weekend, I was going to head down that way.

But I've decided to stick it out around the home front and take advantage of the wind on Sat. Since it's been a fickle spring so far. Plus the 80mile drive down south would eat up valuable kiting time. Perhaps next year.

I'm up here in Lake Worth/Boynton Beach area and as of this post it's looking GOOD outside :D

Man is that clock s-l-o-w- or what :shock:

Daudbhai 04-18-2006 01:33 PM

Where to kite
 
Hi Rick,

I'm headed down to the West Palm Beach/Delray Beach area end of next week. Just wondering what beaches I could kite at. I was down at Ft. Lauderdale last year and know the rules there. Does anyone know the rules for Palm Beach? What are the conditions like this time of year?

Thanks

DB

RickI 04-20-2006 02:26 PM

Re: Where to kite
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daudbhai
Hi Rick,

I'm headed down to the West Palm Beach/Delray Beach area end of next week. Just wondering what beaches I could kite at. I was down at Ft. Lauderdale last year and know the rules there. Does anyone know the rules for Palm Beach? What are the conditions like this time of year?

Thanks

DB

The cold fronts that bring the wind seem to be thining out as spring moves on. Although last week we had the best straight five days of stronger winds that I can remember for several years.

If something good comes through the wind could pick up a bit otherwise you might be looking for afternoon thermal winds in the 10 to 15 mph range. These don't happen everyday unfortunately. So, it may be on the lighter side but fingers crossed anyway.

Regarding Palm Beach, guys do ride there but launch and land to the north of the guarded beach. Make sure you stay beyond 300 ft. or more from the beach if you cross over the guarded sections.

Jupiter is just to the north and can have some great conditions if the wind is on. There is a kitebeach to the south of the inlet. Jeremy at Florida Kiting can fill you in on local precautions (avoid guarded areas and the fishing pier mainly).

Delray has a law on the books governing kiteboarding. You can't launch or land off of guarded beaches or come within 400 ft. of them from offshore. Most guys launch and land to the south of the main beach (about 200 yards south of Casurina St.).

Have a good trip!

HIGHFLYN 04-26-2006 08:37 AM

Will the afternoon sea~breeze do it again today, I sure hope so. The past 2 days have been a GOOD!!

And to think that it's all just about to end from the next several months :cry:

But on the other hand perhaps this will be the summer of WIND :P

RickI 04-26-2006 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN
Will the afternoon sea~breeze do it again today, I sure hope so. The past 2 days have been a GOOD!!

And to think that it's all just about to end from the next several months :cry:

But on the other hand perhaps this will be the summer of WIND :P

Yes, it was great last night. Here I had blown off the prospects earlier in the day and pretty much ignored what was blowing out the window at the office. I even left late looked around and said IT'S BLOWING and hit the beach.

Looking at the windgraph for yesterday it almost linearly went up from about 10 am to 7 pm, peaking with average winds of 17 mph gusting to 20 mph. Outstanding thermal winds!

It hit me last night that the drought we are in along with other conditions may be pretty good for late day thermals if not for our water situation. Normally we would also have those 10 mile high cumulonimbus clouds moving seaward from the everglades but that hasn't started yet either.

HIGHFLYN 04-26-2006 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickI

Yes, it was great last night. Here I had blown off the prospects earlier in the day and pretty much ignored what was blowing out the window at the office. I even left late looked around and said IT'S BLOWING and hit the beach.

~Smiling~ that it was and looking at the Jupiter cam and the Boca "red reef" cam it looks as thought it's doing it's thing again :D


Here's to another afternoon session :cheers:

I kited a solo session last nite north of Lake Worth pier, I'm gonna have to try and make it down your way one day Rick and say hello in person :thumbsup:

RickI 04-26-2006 03:03 PM

Hope to see you there. Currently the windomatic has it at 15 kt. gusting from 14 to 17 kt. I think it might read a bit high and usually think of it in mph instead of kts. Still pretty good for this time of year. The good thermal winds keep coming through.

There are some clouds out west today but they don't look like much on color radar, yet!

RickI 04-26-2006 04:37 PM

Spoke too soon, looks like some heavy weather may be moving to the NE from the everglades. Have a care, the summer thermal cycle may have just started.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/extras/weather/radar_a.htm

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?p...d=AMX&loop=yes

HIGHFLYN 04-26-2006 07:47 PM

I squeezed in a session @ Hammock park in Boynton, from 5:15 till 7pm. I was keeping a close eye on those storms to the NW and when I saw that first bolt of lighting~ I called it quits.

Turns out to have been a good call all around, about 15 minutes after I hit the beach and wrapped it up. The wind died and switch NW as I drove home northward in the rain.

Glad to have caught it while it was there. This work **it really gets in the way sometimes~ LOL

Hope you were able to get U some :wink:

RickI 04-26-2006 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN
I squeezed in a session @ Hammock park in Boynton, from 5:15 till 7pm. I was keeping a close eye on those storms to the NW and when I saw that first bolt of lighting~ I called it quits.

Turns out to have been a good call all around, about 15 minutes after I hit the beach and wrapped it up. The wind died and switch NW as I drove home northward in the rain.

Glad to have caught it while it was there. This work **it really gets in the way sometimes~ LOL

Hope you were able to get U some :wink:

Glad you got some time in. I took all the stuff to the beach just in time for it to shift side offshore and drop off in speed. It looks like it came back in a while though somewhat. Still there were some pretty nasty squalls coming through with NWS warnings. The radar suggested that they might move to the north and south of the launch in Delray. I bagged it and headed home to do some work. Next time!

HIGHFLYN 04-28-2006 03:14 PM

looking good outside as of 3:15pm 15-20 ENE and it looks as though it's going to hold all weekend 8)

RickI 04-28-2006 03:31 PM

Yes, the windomatic has it at 16 to 22 kts. average 18 kts. at 3:30 pm and it might be building. I feel what should be an excellent session coming on tonight! Have fun out there.

RickI 04-29-2006 04:50 AM

I was thinking about a roadtrip to Ft. Pierce today. Looks like the forecast is strongest along the SE coast right here ...

TODAY
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 20 KNOTS WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KNOTS.
NEAR SHORE...SEAS 5 TO 7 FEET BUILDING TO 6 TO 8 FEET IN THE
AFTERNOON. IN THE GULF STREAM...SEAS 9 TO 11 FEET. NORTHEAST SWELL
3 TO 5 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS.

TONIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 20 KNOTS WITH GUSTS UP TO 30
KNOTS. SEAS 6 TO 8 FEET NEAR SHORE AND UP TO 10 TO 12 FEET IN THE
GULF STREAM. NORTHEAST SWELL 3 TO 6 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS
CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS.

SUNDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KNOTS.
SEAS 6 TO 8 FEET NEAR SHORE AND UP TO 12 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM.
NORTHEAST SWELL 3 TO 6 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED
AREAS.

Summer's not here yet!

HIGHFLYN 05-30-2006 04:27 PM

Seems to be a little NE puff out there ppl 14-17mph. Hope to squeeze a session in this afternoon. I'll be between Boynton and Lake Worth.
Perhaps someothers will take advantage of this late season NE

Good luck to all!!!

RickI 05-30-2006 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN
Seems to be a little NE puff out there ppl 14-17mph. Hope to squeeze a session in this afternoon. I'll be between Boynton and Lake Worth.
Perhaps someothers will take advantage of this late season NE

Good luck to all!!!

Thanks for the heads up. The Windomatic at Delray has it at 13 to 18 kts. average around 15 kts. right now. Also, no squalls on the radar, time to hit it!

Have a good session.

HIGHFLYN 05-30-2006 09:46 PM

Hope your able to get some time in Rick, I powered out a 2.5hr session.
Sargasum (seaweed) was THICK and I feel a few lice. But it was WELL worth it. I hadn't inflated a kite in weeks and was having some serious withdrawls :shock:

RickI 05-30-2006 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN
Hope your able to get some time in Rick, I powered out a 2.5hr session.
Sargasum (seaweed) was THICK and I feel a few lice. But it was WELL worth it. I hadn't inflated a kite in weeks and was having some serious withdrawls :shock:

Glad it was a good session, it does seem like a while since the last wind. I saw some huge mats of sargassum offshore in the Straits yesterday flying back from Abaco. Well, it sure is here now!

It was a good day, not nuclear but worlds ahead of extended calms. It was good to get out for a while.

I saw a couple of other guys up and down the cost. How did folks do tonight?

HIGHFLYN 07-20-2006 11:57 AM

07-20 @ 11:50AM

I've checked the radar, I've watched the trees and I've looked at all the cams and wind graphs.

It's B-L-O-W-I-N-G and I can't take it anymore. I'm hitting the beach (Boynton Inlet/North side). looks to be 16m'able

Hope it doesn't peater out and I can enjoy the rest of the day on the water :lol:

HIGHFLYN 07-20-2006 03:33 PM

7-20 @ 1:34 (packed up and off the beach)

Like a parched man chasing a mirage in the dessert, the doldrums of July fooled me into bailing out of work to hit the beach. In search of the wind that I watched all morning.

Be it the EXTREME heat or just the way Mother Nature toys with ones mind. I did my best and was not rewarded. So here I sit back at work, trying to focus. But only dreaming of the days that I have to make a choice between my 10m or 8m :roll:

I'm just about ready to sacrifice....... a kite, a board, heck if I knew of any virgins. I know the wind gods would reward us all. Rather then to continue this torture. I just want to RIDE

HIGHFLYN 09-17-2006 08:13 PM

Pulled a S-W-E-E-T downwinder this afternoon, From Lake Worth to Hammock park in Boynton. Winds were nothing special 12-14 ENE compared to last nights. But still do'able and fun.

Hope someone else got some of the wind that was'nt on the forcast :)

RickI 09-17-2006 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN
Pulled a S-W-E-E-T downwinder this afternoon, From Lake Worth to Hammock park in Boynton. Winds were nothing special 12-14 ENE compared to last nights. But still do'able and fun.

Hope someone else got some of the wind that was'nt on the forcast :)

Just got back from Surf Expo. Per tradition, there was no wind during the show. Strange how that works out.

Sounds like a nice downwind session. I'll have to head up that way and give it a go. You do get some nice swells up that way at times too.

RickI 09-19-2006 03:19 PM

WIND ALERT!!!

It is 18 gusting to 21 kts. SSE at Delray, 3:15 pm, 9.19.06. No squalls nearby for the moment. It MAY shift offshore from the SW but it is still rideable for now.

Go get some if you can!

RickI 09-24-2006 09:13 AM

WIND ALERT

14 kts. gusting to 16.5 kts. Sunday, 9 am at Delray. This isn't forecast, isn't thermal but it's here. Get some if you can.

I see it is about 15 kts. at Fowry. Some of this may make it in closer to shore down there. It may even build or then again it might vanish?

HIGHFLYN 09-26-2006 04:30 PM

WIND ALERT!!!! :shock:

Boynton Beach 14-17knots out of the S-SE as of 4:20pm

Ocean has white caps ALL over- Sea's are flat. Don;t know how long it will last

RickI 09-26-2006 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN
WIND ALERT!!!! :shock:

Boynton Beach 14-17knots out of the S-SE as of 4:20pm

Ocean has white caps ALL over- Sea's are flat. Don;t know how long it will last

I just looked out the window and checked the anenometer, you beat me to it! WAY TO GO! See you at the beach.

kiwiar2000 09-27-2006 11:40 AM

Get in the action now, guys!

HIGHFLYN 09-27-2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickI
You beat me to it!



Ahhh haaa that I did :P :lol: :D


I had to race home to Lake Worth, Grabbed my gear. Checked the radar. That bummed me out, There was a cell just west of the beach moving east. So I packed it in my ride and HAULED azz back to Boynton Public. Hoping that the 7 miles I just travled south would give me that extra 1/2 hour of ride time.

As I'm booking it for the beach, I see a (single) kite in the air. I give the wave to Jeff from BESTKITEBOARDING.

I get my gear set up and ready to launch in record time. Land Jeff's kite and chat for a few to find out that he had been there since 4pm :roll: (it' now 5:40) He gives me a launch and off I go into my liquid relaxation. Wind held up for about 45 minutes and then that storm that had run me from LW. Sucked all the wind in that it was going to and it tappered off to maybe 10 knots.

Work really can get in the way sometimes :roll:

RickI 09-27-2006 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickI
You beat me to it!



Ahhh haaa that I did :P :lol: :D


I had to race home to Lake Worth, Grabbed my gear. Checked the radar. That bummed me out, There was a cell just west of the beach moving east. So I packed it in my ride and HAULED azz back to Boynton Public. Hoping that the 7 miles I just travled south would give me that extra 1/2 hour of ride time.

As I'm booking it for the beach, I see a (single) kite in the air. I give the wave to Jeff from BESTKITEBOARDING.

I get my gear set up and ready to launch in record time. Land Jeff's kite and chat for a few to find out that he had been there since 4pm :roll: (it' now 5:40) He gives me a launch and off I go into my liquid relaxation. Wind held up for about 45 minutes and then that storm that had run me from LW. Sucked all the wind in that it was going to and it tappered off to maybe 10 knots.

Work really can get in the way sometimes :roll:

Yes, you did. We should race to call the wind alert more often. For one thing that means will have more wind and for another, more of us should grab water time.

I drove up to the inlet after your alert yesterday anxious to checkout some of those nice swells you can get up there. I arrived missed the swells, saw the outgoing tide, saw no one out (aside from Jeff at the park to the south) and figured next time! I was staring at that mass of clouds in the NW too while trying to dial in a radar loop on my phone. It didn't look all that encouraging, another reason to bear south. Sorry it stole the wind, still it was good for a while. It is great the wind has come up despite poor forecast twice in two days. Tonight I think will be a miss, soon though?

Yes, regular work hours can really take a toll on our high grade water time.

HIGHFLYN 09-29-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickI
We should race to call the wind alert more often. For one thing that means will have more wind and for another, more of us should grab water time.


I'm calling an EAIRLY~ WIND ALERT here!!

Currently @ LW winds are North @ 9-11knots as of 11am.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for an afternoon (Cool front) North wind session. Ahhhhh the SEASON is knocking on our southerly door. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

RickI 09-29-2006 03:04 PM

Thanks for the heads up, sadly I was landlocked in a suit, giving a presentation at the time. Quiting time is coming up though and I think it might build, 12 to 13 kts. and rising hopefully at 3 pm.

How about the forecast for 20-25 kts???!

I hope it comes to pass, just because they predict it and so far out doesn't mean it will happen though. I'll try not to jinx it by identifying the day.

YEAH! Bring on the cold fronts, finally!!!

RickI 10-01-2006 11:23 PM

15 to 20 kts. forecast from Monday night through Friday!? You gotta love fall. The wind is back!

BizGuru 10-01-2006 11:26 PM

I can't wait. Looking to hit commercial beach after work tomorrow, maybe hammock park in boynton.

RickI 10-02-2006 10:33 PM

Is this great or what?! I had to do a model shoot late today into the early evening in Ft. Lauderdale. Tons of guys were on the water ripping it up and having a great time. I finished up at around 7 pm just in time to rig up and have at it. Lots of light from the shore and moon. It was a great session, scenic and peaceful. More of the same tomorrow and more to come for the next few days with a return of 15 to 20 kts. on Saturday by the forecast.

RickI 10-14-2006 09:32 AM

When's the wind going to arrive?
 
Checking ikitesurf the wind has turned on to the north already as the cold front slides down the peninsula. The isobars are stacking up nicely up north.

http://www.wunderground.com/data/640...g4_ir_anim.gif

The winds seem to be turning on just to the north of the cloud line at the leading edge of the front.

What are the guesses out there as to when the winds will come, barring stalling, God forbid?

I guess for Delray the winds will hit 15 to 20 mph by 1 pm by current indications.

You can fine tune and update your guess by winds turning on ikitesurf and passage of the front at the day wears on.

There doesn't seem to be a major squall line at the leading edge of this one but I wouldn't mess with that part anyway. Wait until it passes and the stronger winds fill in behind.

Other guesses out there?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Do not advertise outside of [COM] Forums.
Do not show disrespect for others in your postings.
Users can be denied access to this Site without warning.
FKA, Inc., it’s officers and moderators are not responsible
for the content of the postings and any links or pictures posted.

Report Problems by PM to “administrator” or via email to flkitesurfer@hotmail.com

Copyright FKA, Inc. 2004, All Rights Reserved.