FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Let's Ride! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Why Don't People Ride Here? (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5245)

jaco 12-07-2007 08:36 AM

Why Don't People Ride Here?

2 Attachment(s)
I'm not super familar with the area and was checking some stuff out on Google earth and found two location that look stellar on East and North winds...but I know that few people, if any, actually kite there. I attached them. The first is the western side of the Skyway...but on an East wind. Looks to be plenty of launching space and little to no wind obstuction. Almost all my local spots are these slicks on the otherside of causeways. The other i found down south near bradenton, (about 5 miles north of downtown) Looks like good fun on a north. With shallow water and a few sandbars, probably a few good rollers to be had. Any Thought?

Skyway Scott 12-07-2007 08:45 AM

Most of us ride the Eastern side of the SW or East Beach on east winds.
Many ride the Western side of the SW on West wind, or just go to the beach.

I guess you could try the W side for E wind, but it would be offshore wind and I think the trees are much taller than appear in that photo. They make
for an exceptionally blocked launch. Further south, there are a few less trees, but you are in the parking lot with rocks along the shoreline.

If you had a small boat, you could definitely hop in it from West side SW, go out to the sandbar, and ride in between EB and backside SW.
That's where Eagle use to give his boat supported lessons.

bryanleighty 12-07-2007 09:05 AM

parking and quality launch areas are the biggest concern... sure the water looks amazing and from the photos it looks like a great place to ride.. but maybe those pics were taken at super low tide and those beaches dont really exist.

that being said.. when the wind is here and the crowds start to grow you can bet your butt that we will all be looking for alternative launches..

as we live on a huge peninsula finding small nooks to kite will be something that goes on all the time.. if you find something that looks really promising let us know.. always great to have lots of options!!!!

wind wind wind.. please please please.

jaco 12-07-2007 09:15 AM

hmm...thanks for the insight!

inferno 12-07-2007 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryanleighty (Post 26034)

that being said.. when the wind is here and the crowds start to grow you can bet your butt that we will all be looking for alternative launches..

ha ha,,,, thats kinda funny.... wind......ha ha

bryanleighty 12-07-2007 02:16 PM

no kidding man..
ouch.

BigR 12-07-2007 03:00 PM

I think Miami will have wind on sunday... Sorry I couldn't help ya' more than that Bryan...ouch
ouch ouch even that got downgraded,,, frikin' la nina

Kev 12-09-2007 10:41 AM

I have been out of town for the past 3 weeks so I can't bielve there hasn't been any wind here. I even got a little boarding in during Thanksgiving in Galveston. I'm here this week so I'm sure there won't be wind but I'm gone again both the week before Christmas and Christmas week so something should blow in around here...........