FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   ** KITER BUZZ ** (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Some plan to purposely get kiteboarding banned in FLL (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=9472)

neil xrated 03-25-2010 01:05 PM

Some plan to purposely get kiteboarding banned in FLL

So this is the deal and what I have found out.

There is a small group of younger kiteboarders in our area that have a plan. Their plan is to purposely get kiteboarding banned on all Ft. Lauderdale beaches!!! Their reasoning behind this is, that if kiting is banned know one will be legally allowed to kite in Ft. Lauderdale and that will keep everyone away but them. They feel they can dodge the authorities by launching in other areas and outrun the police.
This is a direct copy and paste email I received yesterday when investigating this serious problem:

"It was probably one of my buds around here. That my good friend in the pic though. Honestly XXXX, you are not going to get any good response from the kids here in Fort Lauderdale. The more beaches here that get "shut down" , the less the rules become. Everyone here sees it as this. If FTL beach is a no kite zone, then no one is on there toes ready to **** with kiters.... So for us/them kids, it's not really a problem. They will always be nice slicks infront of private hotels, down near our port, and other little secret spots."

"FTL kids see a ban to be a way to get the "kooks" away. Off the top of my head, riding here for the past 6 years, I can think of one kid that spoke up to his friends about "breaking the rules kiting" and that is because his dad kites. He knew that if it would be banned his dad wouldn't ride here anymore. As well as kids go, I dont think a ban will every stop them. I remember going through phases where kids would do downwinders just to get the ATVS to start chasing them, and watch them haul ass until the end of there jurisdiction. This kept happening over and over until finally a cop boat came out and slammed some kids.
Next cold front, everyone was back out."

On Sunday last, when Tiki Beach was temporarily closed down due to riders in the swim area, a group of kiters started just south of the inlet and rode all the way to Lauderdale Bye The Sea purposely through all the swim areas and in front of every life guard in their selfish quest to get our beaches banned.

When arriving in LBS they were confronted by another kiter who had words with them, their response was screw you, f-off and things like I am going away for a couple of years so I don't care, I will do whatever I want and have fun!

I am amazed that it has come to this and can't believe I am actually writing this. I need your support, these are all of our beaches my lively hood, Jesse from Liquids lively hood and it is time to come together and stop these few before the achieve their selfish goals.
Thanks for your support.....

Neil Hutchinson
Slingshot Sports
954-647-7228

uchuche 03-25-2010 02:00 PM

Call the cops and the coast guard, and pass on the info and the email.

Boats will be on their toes waiting for these guys to come by... a few $500 fines and the game is over.

This will make it clear to the officials that it is a FEW problem guys who need to be dealt with on an individual basis.

Normally I would not suggest to go this route but what these guys are doing is extremely destructive to kiteboarding everywhere.

ricki 03-25-2010 02:21 PM

For about four or so guys to do this with the reported intent of getting kiting shut down in Ft. Lauderdale is incredibly maligned and stupid. When these guys grow up in a few years, they probably wouldn't even remember why they wanted to do it. That is assuming they still even kite then. One ban could easily follow another, it isn't a tap you can turn on and off. Short sighted, flawed judgement. Add to that messing with all the lifeguards along three miles Ft. Lauderdale beach after launching from way to the south off private beaches. That is intentionally messing with and distracting about 20 lifeguards from their duty trying to look out for swimmers on a real busy day with waves, rip currents possibly. Rubin is so proud of it he puts his photo, several feet off the beach on his facebook page?! Real bad and not representative of 99 % of the kiters I know.

This is poor, destructive behavior for all of us to have to deal with and so needlessly. Is it ok if these very few guys try to shut down your kiting privileges? I bet they might try to do the same thing again if this is left up in the air.

BizGuru 03-25-2010 02:44 PM

This is just bad for all of us

kiteboard101101 03-25-2010 04:06 PM

I dont know where you got your information from, but if you are going to quote someone, you need to tell the truth.
These guys may have screwed up by going inside the buoys, but do you know how ignorant it sounds when you say they are intentionally trying to get the beach banned????
THAT COULDNT BE ANY FARTHER FROM THE TRUTH. Maybe the older guys could have been a little kinder in the way they handled the younger guys.
For you to stoop so low as to post minors pictures on the web and put words in their mouths is pretty poor judgement!!
You should be setting examples for the younger ones, maybe explaining to them why being inside the buoys is destructive to the sport instead of cursing at them like drunkin sailors! If you would have respected them and talked to them the right way, they would have respected you back. We were all young once also...

neil xrated 03-25-2010 04:27 PM

These riders are advanced riders and they 100% know the rules. They were confronted at LBS and the person who talked to them was rudely blown off with multiple cussining. The quote actually came from one of thier friends.
I and many others have worked extremely hard for over 10 years now to keep FLL open to kiting, and we are still working hard on it. I am not going to let a few people ruin it for everyone, especially when they know better.
These guys blatently rode the entire length of FLL beach with life guards blowing thier whistles, not even attempting to ride outside and just back and forth in the swim area. This was Sunday afternoon 80 degreeze and spring break. Witnessed by other local kiters and reported to personally to me by the head FLL lifeguard who is also a begginer kiter.

Bobby 03-25-2010 05:44 PM

Hey hey

Like already said to Rick, the initial post on the site wasn't from me. I don't think anyone is "for the ban". This little telephone game everyone is playing has changed from "the kids around here don't care" to "The kids are on a quest to get kiteboarding banned, and for that reason they kite inside the bouys"

Undertow48 03-25-2010 05:58 PM

IT seems like you are blowing this a little out of proportion. Im sure they are not looking to "BAN KITING IN FTL.....". They like to kite just as much as anyone else. Cheer up sport

neil xrated 03-25-2010 06:11 PM

Quotes, how do you take this? I also remember hearing, first hand one persons take on LBS a year ago and what they hope would happen.

"It was probably one of my buds around here. That my good friend in the pic though. Honestly XXXX, you are not going to get any good response from the kids here in Fort Lauderdale. The more beaches here that get "shut down" , the less the rules become. Everyone here sees it as this. If FTL beach is a no kite zone, then no one is on there toes ready to **** with kiters.... So for us/them kids, it's not really a problem. They will always be nice slicks infront of private hotels, down near our port, and other little secret spots."

"FTL kids see a ban to be a way to get the "kooks" away. Off the top of my head, riding here for the past 6 years, I can think of one kid that spoke up to his friends about "breaking the rules kiting" and that is because his dad kites. He knew that if it would be banned his dad wouldn't ride here anymore. As well as kids go, I dont think a ban will every stop them. I remember going through phases where kids would do downwinders just to get the ATVS to start chasing them, and watch them haul ass until the end of there jurisdiction. This kept happening over and over until finally a cop boat came out and slammed some kids.
Next cold front, everyone was back out."

Chris.Quinn 03-25-2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertow48 (Post 44765)
IT seems like you are blowing this a little out of proportion. Im sure they are not looking to "BAN KITING IN FTL.....". They like to kite just as much as anyone else. Cheer up sport

Its interesting that this users account as well as "Kiteboard101101" was only created today.... and these are the only ever posts. I wonder who they are??? Maybe they are the guys in question and can not speak up for themselves????