FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's going on? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Harness recomendations (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=1258)

C. Moore 04-06-2006 08:25 AM

Harness recomendations

I am looking at buying a new waist harness. My seat harness is rubing my inner thighs raw. I know, not a pretty picture.

Which waist harness are you using and what is your opinion on it?

-Chris

ricki 04-06-2006 08:40 AM

Re: Harness recomendations

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcmoore
I am looking at buying a new waist harness. My seat harness is rubing my inner thighs raw. I know, not a pretty picture.

Which waist harness are you using and what is your opinion on it?

-Chris

I have 2 or 3 waist harnesses collected over the years but never use them. They tear my back up and make me wonder why this isn't even more common than it is. Still, rider's choice.

Seat harnesses will rub holes in me too, particularly the outside of my legs with normal longer sessions. Solution? Neoprene shorts, don't leave home without 'em.

http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp?category=44

You can pick these up for around $12. at some of the larger chain diveshops.

C. Moore 04-06-2006 08:47 AM

Mine is on the inside of my legs. I need to pick up more under armor if I continue to wear seat harnesses. Hmmmm. spend $113.00 or $35.00. Tough call. :D

bryanleighty 04-06-2006 09:16 AM

heya..

I picked up the OR Session harness earlier this season. LOVE IT.
Its got many of the benefits of both seat and waist harness. Its basically a waist harness with adjustable leg straps. Very comfortable. First time on it was a little stiff, but after a few sessions (no pun intended) it became really comfortable. You can remove the leg straps if you jsut want to go full waist. I prefer to keep the harness as low as a seat, but not as restrictive around the butt/groin area as my Dakine seat was. This works perfect for me. Allows for full movement of the legs (I am not that flexible as it is) but keeps the harness low and does not ride up at all.

-B

shawnwar4586 04-06-2006 10:12 AM

Chris try a pyro. I started with a seat then went to a pyro. Honestly I will never use another harness. It is a verry comfortable harness and dosent ride up on me.

BigR 04-06-2006 10:16 AM

I personally use the cabrinha waist, its has awesome support, real comfy esp for big guys

another really great one is the pro limit harness, this one is really well crafted and comfy too

E-Bone 04-06-2006 11:48 AM

I was sold on the Dakine Fusion for a long time but I just went to the Dakine Pyro, as well. As my kiting has improved, it's been much easier for me to enjoy a waist harness in that I am not just getting yarded around by the kite all session.

BigR 04-06-2006 12:19 PM

"yarded" ?? Is that like carted around? :lol: :shock:

C. Moore 04-06-2006 12:26 PM

I was questioning that too. "yarded" Is this some new Kite slang that I am not aware of?

Shawn saw me attempt a back roll yesterday and I got yarded. :shock:

Eagle 04-06-2006 12:26 PM

It all comes down to personal preference and comfort when choosing the right harness for you.
There are 3 main types available; seat, waist and impact.
All have thier pros and cons.
Waist harness works good if your chest is bigger than your waist, but the other way around the waist harness becomes a chest harness.
Impact offers the most protection and aids with floatation.
Seat harness aka "the diaper" works well for women, kids and lifelong windsurfers who could not fathom anything else.

Personally I like the waist harness. I went from a Dakine Pyro to the Tabu and I am thinking about going back to the Pyro. The Tabu causes pain along the costal margin (ribs) and becomes a little uncomfortable in moderate/high wind.

If you are buying a 2006 Dakine kite harness be aware there is no line knife, there isn't even a pocket to put one in.
Mounting a rescue hook/knife to your spreader bar or helmet is an alternative.

C. Moore 04-06-2006 12:39 PM

Thanks Eagle..

How do you add the rescue hook / knife to the helmet? :P

-Chris

toby wilson 04-06-2006 12:46 PM

I used that old thin liquid force waist harness you gave me Chris until I got lucky enough (and Eagle was gracious enough to pass up on it for his larger students so that I could have a nice harness - Thanks Bryan!!!) to get a great deal on a used pyro from a very nice guy out at East Beach one day. Chris, the difference was NIGHT AND DAY!!! The Pyro is super comfortable in my opinion and I realized in making my harness transition that comfort makes a HUGE difference in the speed at which you learn. I had been having trouble getting up right foot forward but after buying the Pyro and going out and trying right foot forward for the first time using it, I popped right up out of the water!!! Get a Pyro my friend, you won't be sorry...

Only downside is the way the spreader bar clips on...I wish it clipped on directly to hooks on the harness like I hear the Fusion does...

Eagle 04-06-2006 12:50 PM

The Benchmade rescue hook is available with a molded plastic sheath which can be attached to the helmet with cable ties. You can do the same on the speader bar.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...l.aspx?model=5

When I was using this knife, the sheath was attached to my spreader bar with cable ties and I had a length of nylon cord tied to the knife in case I ever dropped it.

C. Moore 04-06-2006 01:03 PM

Thanks guys and I like that hook Eagle. That is the shiznit.

Eagle 04-06-2006 01:16 PM

If you get one I would go with the stainless/satin finish which has more longevity in salt water. I've had 2 of the black oxide finish replaced by Benchmade within 6 months of use.
The satin will last longer and its a good idea to rinse with fresh water and apply a silicone spray. Cover the blade with surf board wax which keeps the blade sharp and free of corrosion.

Skydiving knives, sometimes called jack knives work well for kiteboarding.
Here is a link to a page with an assortment of hook knives.
http://www.square1.com/Manufacturers...e1/cat212.html