FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's happening? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Riding in Palm Beach (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=7288)

SQFrederick 10-13-2008 07:21 AM

Riding in Palm Beach

I'm staying in West Palm for a while, and have been shooting up to Jupiter or down towards Lauderdale when the wind picks up. I'm just wondering, am I allowed to ride on Palm Beach? North of the Breakers is usually pretty deserted... No lifeguards, usually only dog walkers. I've never seen any kites out there, so I haven't tried it myself. Anyone know about this?
Also looking for any recommendations on other good beaches to ride around here. I'd like to get out today or tomorrow while the wind is blowing, but with this wind, I'm sure there's a pretty good break up at Jupiter. I'm pretty new to the sport, and learned out in the gorge (no waves!), so I'm looking for a beach that won't have the huge breakers I found last time at Jupiter!
Thanks

tommyboy 10-14-2008 10:46 PM

Ya you can ride palm beach. Go to flagpole which is south of the breakers. I think the street is royal palm way.
make sure you ride on the south side of the guard towers when the wind is blowing from the north, and vice versa.

Make sure NOT to ride in the guarded area!

T

ricki 10-16-2008 06:01 AM

The spots are as Tommy said at Palm Beach. As a rule, they get some good sized waves at Palm Beach only slightly smaller than in Jupiter. In riding from Jupiter to Ft. Lauderdale in the various races three times it is interesting to watch the waves bump down in size with each inlet you pass in northerly winds. The greatest drop is south of Hillsboro Inlet. The drop from Jupiter into Palm Beach wasn't that great.

We have had some strong winds, for a change, you might look further south like a sea taxi run in Miami out to the flats for less waves. Lighter winds are forecast for today, 10 to 15 kts. NE. So the waves should be dropping even in the Jupiter to Palm Beach area somewhat.

SQFrederick 10-17-2008 02:03 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input!
I did brave the waves at Jupiter a couple of days ago, and got well beat up. Had a blast though!
Made it down to Pompano yesterday and had a great time. A lot more manageable at my level :)
I also want to say thanks to a couple of the guys who have given me advice when they saw me struggling to make it out through the surf! I appreciate it, and it's nice to know there are some people keeping an eye out when they don't have to!