FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Session Report! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   HOWZAWIND??? (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=991)

HIGHFLYN 08-02-2007 11:35 AM

Wind Alert!

SSE 12-13kts and building @ LW ( just started to come on )
No storms on the radar as of yet

ricki 08-03-2007 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN (Post 21507)
Wind Alert!

SSE 12-13kts and building @ LW ( just started to come on )
No storms on the radar as of yet

It is similar again today just south in Delray. The thermal cloud stack is well inland, moving NE and hopefully will stay there. The wind might build, fingers crossed.

AEsco48 08-10-2007 03:03 PM

Wind!!!! In South Miami... its 4pm now...

http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/environment/index.cgi#

HIGHFLYN 10-30-2007 07:33 AM

For anyone that chooses to head out today, Use Caution it's WINDY!!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...an/summary.gif

ricki 10-30-2007 08:05 AM

Caution is the way to go for sure. If you haven't already been out in conditions like this, a few times handing things well, it would be a good few days to sit out, especially in the waves. There are supposed to be some squalls coming through the SE later on today as well. The waves must have boosted some more overnight. Hope we don't have any guys rigging too big, doing inadequate preflighting or anything else ill advised and slamming into stuff along the shore.

ricki 10-30-2007 07:47 PM

Did anyone get messed up today? Hope not! It may have been gusting over 40 kts. offshore from Delray tonight based on the wind record. The waves seemed to range from about 6 to 12 ft.. Hazardous winds and waves to be sure. Conditions may be larger and the wind perhaps stronger tomorrow especially if there are squalls. We didn't have any for most of the evening. Looked liked they were hammering ashore further south and north though.

AEsco48 10-30-2007 09:57 PM

it was not fun, just too gusty....(5-7pm)

flkiter 10-30-2007 10:29 PM

Key West went off nicely, I was out on 8-10 meter kites. Really nice smooth winds and warm too. The Sun was out all day.

AEsco48 10-30-2007 10:32 PM

a 3-4-5meter would have been perfect in Miami

ricki 11-07-2007 02:37 PM

Wind is coming, maybe, is already going off Jupiter and points north. Been watching it creep south since this morning. I guess it may be on the Delray area within an hour or so? Fingers crossed, could be around 20 mph from the NE, hope not from the N. Then again, it may stall as happens at times.

ricki 11-14-2007 02:06 PM

Windzon, hope it makes it to quiting time without squalls. Had a good session Monday through sunset and beyond.

AEsco48 11-25-2007 06:47 AM

Wind!!

ricki 01-11-2008 06:49 PM

Anyone get out tonight? It was 16 to 21 kts. sideshore at Delray! Good homecoming.

windydayzz 01-13-2008 07:34 AM

I going to go nuts if we don't get some good east wind. I live in homestead and rode almost half the days in Dec and now since the new year i have not been out. Is anyone else feeling this? I think we are having a bad season..

eclipsedave 01-13-2008 01:44 PM

jupiter

1 Attachment(s)
It was rockin in Jupiter fri.+sat. 20+ south! I finally got a chance to get guys+girls out on the 08 Eclipse kites in good conditions

ricki 01-14-2008 02:43 PM

It's 18 kts. gusting to 25 kts. north at Delray right now. Hope is bends sideshore over there from side off. Anyone know if it is rideable? Sure hope so.

ricki 01-15-2008 06:29 AM

It was a bit lighter than I was hoping but at least it was sideshore most of the time. It was a nice twilight season.

Looks like the breeze and even wind are back. Here is the NWS forecast for the next several days:

COASTAL WATERS FROM JUPITER INLET TO DEERFIELD BEACH, FL OUT 20 NM-
WATERS FROM JUPITER INLET TO DEERFIELD BEACH, FL EXTENDING FROM
20 NM TO 60 NM-
450 AM EST TUE JAN 15 2008

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY FOR HAZARDOUS SEAS IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE
TONIGHT FOR THE GULF STREAM

TODAY
NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET...EXCEPT 6
TO 8 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

TONIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET NEAR
SHORE AND UP TO 6 TO 8 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL WATERS
A MODERATE CHOP IN EXPOSED AREAS.

WEDNESDAY
EAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET NEAR SHORE
AND UP TO 6 TO 8 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY
IN EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT
SOUTHEAST WINDS AROUND 20 KNOTS. SEAS 6 TO
8 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS ROUGH IN EXPOSED AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

THURSDAY
SOUTH WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET...EXCEPT
5 TO 7 FEET WELL OFFSHORE. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED
AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS THROUGH THE DAY. SLIGHT CHANCE OF
THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON.

THURSDAY NIGHT
SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS
NEAR SHORE AND UP TO 2 TO 4 FEET WELL OFFSHORE. INTRACOASTAL WATERS
A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT
SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET
OR LESS NEAR SHORE AND UP TO 2 TO 4 FEET WELL OFFSHORE. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF
THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON.

SATURDAY
WEST WINDS AROUND 10 TO 15 KNOTS BECOMING NORTH AROUND
20 KNOTS IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET BECOMING 4 TO 6 FEET
IN THE AFTERNOON. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP BECOMING
ROUGH IN THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

ricki 01-15-2008 01:12 PM

It's 15 to 21 kts. avg. 17 kts. north now. Hope it stays, builds and is bent to sideshore at Delray.

ricki 01-16-2008 10:39 AM

Honking yet again and who's stuck at work??? Anyway, it is 17 kts. gusting to 22 kts. ENE. Probably some good waves starting to come on too. Maybe after work today ...

Daudbhai 04-01-2008 09:40 AM

What are the Summer Conditions for South Florida

Hey Rick,

I haven't posted in a while but it seems that I will be a permanent resident of South Florida (Miami) very soon. I am moving out of the cold northeast and down to Miami. The catch is with spring and summer coming in Cape Cod the winds are usually best upper teens to mid 20's almost everyday. I will be sacrificing that for permanent residence in the sunshine state now but hoping not lose a season does the wind blow to ride at least one or two days a week?

BigR 04-01-2008 09:55 AM

Maybe 10-15kts if real lucky, bring big kites 16M or bigger during summer at best

ricki 04-01-2008 11:03 AM

In a "normal" year you should be good to about mid May. Unfortunately, useable wind can go on holiday for sometime after that until the fall. There can be bouts of poorly forecast seabreeze and the odd tropical system with a sufficiently large hole between storm cells to allow a reasonably safe session out through the summer.

ricki 04-16-2008 10:04 AM

Looks like the wind just shifted to north in Jupiter. ikitesurf has pretty strong stuff coming through as of 11 am. Average 34, lulls to 29 and gusts to 40 mph out of the north. If it stays north at the coast this will make it side offshore too. Pretty intense conditions, have a care if you head out rigged with the right sized kite.

ricki 04-20-2008 06:17 PM

Thermal-rama!

Did anyone else grab some of this unforecast pretty good southerly breeze this afternoon? It seems to be climbing even now, up to 16 kts. gusting to almost 20? That is what the stationary meter says, I think it may read a bit high. Still, it was a fun unexpected session. Who else got some?

meangoat 04-21-2008 02:24 PM

Might have to check the weather when i get out at 6p. Might be some decent wind.

ricki 04-21-2008 03:07 PM

It is offshore currently in SE Florida with the passage of a weak cold front. Thermals can crank the winds to useable sideshore conditions at times. Thermal winds normally kick in by 3 pm or earlier as a rule. No joy yet this afternoon. Still, you never know with thermals. They are rarely accurately forecast or cover large sections of coast. When you have them that is usually when you know. That is one reason this section was setup to allow folks to spread the joy when sudden wind shows up. So if you're at the beach and the wind pumps up from a useable sideshore direction from light or offshore, let us know here!

meangoat 04-21-2008 05:31 PM

Christophe says we might be getting some wind by Wednesday this week. So im hoping that comes.

ricki 04-22-2008 09:42 PM

Anyone grab some breeze time tonight? It backed off a bit once I arrived after work, naturally. Still, it was good for cruising, even managed to throw some jumps despite the lower winds.

HIGHFLYN 05-08-2008 02:50 PM

I've seen better days, But one can't be choosie when summers closing in on us.

Currently 15-18mph SE in Boynton

ricki 05-08-2008 03:10 PM

thanks! windomatic is down, was hoping it was in that range.

linhster 05-08-2008 08:42 PM

Fort Pierce was rocking... We had a nice turn out. Check the chart but I think it was in the mid 20s and gust in the 30s. Finally got to use my 7m. :lol:

ricki 05-08-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linhster (Post 32676)
Fort Pierce was rocking... We had a nice turn out. Check the chart but I think it was in the mid 20s and gust in the 30s. Finally got to use my 7m. :lol:

Did you have good swells to go with? If so must have been an epic session. Had a good one down here although the wind was gusting to about 20 mph and hanging in the mid to low teens. Wonder how Miami did? Perhaps all the SE got some good wind today.

ricki 05-08-2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linhster (Post 32676)

Did you have good swells to go with? If so must have been an epic session. Ft. Pierce is incredible in strong winds with good waves. Had a good one down here although the wind was gusting to about 20 mph and hanging in the mid to low teens. Wonder how Miami did? Perhaps all the SE got some good wind today.

linhster 05-08-2008 11:02 PM

The waves were not quite as epic. Although right before we all left, there was a thunderstorm that was just arriving and it did bring some nicer waves.

HIGHFLYN 05-09-2008 12:48 PM

REPEAT of yesterday here in Boynton Beach (maybe even a bit better then)

Wind just turned side-on shore 15-18kts SSE

ricki 05-09-2008 12:51 PM

Too funny, you just beat me to it. I thought it was supposed to be offshore today. That is still coming later on this afternoon per the PBC forecast. It looks great for now. Watch out for the afternoon side offshore shift. Guys have sent boards drifting up to OBX by getting caught out. I'll have to miss out on this one so get some extra shredding in for me.

HIGHFLYN 05-09-2008 02:04 PM

9-26-06 (page #2)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickI (Post 10256)
you beat me to it! WAY TO GO! See you at the beach.

5-09-08
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickI (Post 32709)
Too funny, you just beat me to it.

Just like old times ~

I thought..... well it was offshore eairly this am. So I left my gear at home.... Oooops you think I'd have learned by now (anytime theres South in it, BRING YOUR GEAR with you)

ricki 05-11-2008 08:25 PM

Yes indeed, just like old times. Hope someone grabbed the wind on Friday and Saturday. I had to sit this one out unfortunately. Hope some useable wind comes through this week. May is hanging in there.

HIGHFLYN 05-16-2008 12:44 PM

Wind just came on SSE 15+ kts @ LW

ricki 05-16-2008 01:19 PM

Sounds good. Just stopped by the beach in Boca Raton about an hour ago. The wind was sideshore out of the south, 13 mph gusting to around 16 mph. Looking at the clear sky, I think it might grow stronger with thermals as the afternoon goes on. Of course there is a front inbound and the wind should shift side offshore from the SW sometime today/tonight per NWS. Grab it while you can and watch out for the offshore shift.