FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's going on? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Huge SUP! (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=7359)

C. Moore 10-23-2008 11:45 AM

Huge SUP!

I got an email last week from my friend Garrett McNamara back in Hawaii. I just had to share his email. Unreal!! Garrett was one of the pioneers of Tow-In Surfing too, always going huge. Here is some of his surfing vids http://www.garrettmcnamara.com/videos.htm

Aloha,

Thank God I'm finally home after more than a month on the road. It's
so nice to spend time with my wife and kids. If you want to know what
I've been up to, check out this interview by jim-Browskee from B-Ware
below. He dug deep. I think you'll like it!

http://bwareville.wordpress.com/2008...ive-interview/

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...E/4aac9353.jpg

BigR 10-23-2008 04:29 PM

actually that looks like a smaller SUP, 9' 6" maybe? still , awesome wave!

kitekristrudo 10-23-2008 11:35 PM

Old men surfing with crutches. :confused:

Chad085 10-25-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitekristrudo (Post 37291)
Old men surfing with crutches. :confused:

you should try SUP surfing sometime, give it a shot in some waves 1/2, or even 1/3 that size. I imagine you will be in for a very humbling experience, if you make it to the lineup.

That wave is SICK!!! that takes serious nads to charge like that on a SUP. I got my ass handed to me when it was only chest high:oops:

Danimal8199 10-25-2008 07:15 PM

Chad is alive!!!!!

kitekristrudo 10-26-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad085 (Post 37306)
you should try SUP surfing sometime, give it a shot in some waves 1/2, or even 1/3 that size. I imagine you will be in for a very humbling experience, if you make it to the lineup.

Incorrect, Epic fail.

amber 10-26-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitekristrudo (Post 37313)
Incorrect, Epic fail.

???? Not sure who this is, but I haven't read anything positive from you on this forum. :( Why knock someone else if it has absolutely nothing to do with you? Even though many of us bat heads on the forum, we are mostly pretty happy people who like to have fun at the beach. If something bad happened, we'd all be there in a heartbeat for one another. I'm not getting those vibes from you and its unfortunate. We don't need any more negative nancy's in our community.

Think SUP is old men with crutches? matt sexton (age 22 or 23) just paddled 28 miles around manhatten for a charity event. That is quite an athletic feat for anyone.

try and use your time and thoughts to better our kiting community instead of finding fault with everyone and their efforts please.

kitekristrudo 10-26-2008 10:08 PM

Well. Assuming that I have not surfed in big waves just because I am a girl is just wrong. I grew up near Carlsbad beach, CA and have surfed most of my life before i moved to this flat state. Paddle boarding 28 miles is respectable but that has nothing to do with surfing.

Quote:

y and use your time and thoughts to better our kiting community instead of finding fault with everyone and their efforts please.
I was referring to paddle boarding not kiting. Is that a kite surfer in that picture? I think not. Go be web nazi somewhere else please.

shogun1204 10-27-2008 09:28 AM

Sup

SUP is very hard to do, and is a blast in small waves. I learned and surfed in Hawaii for many years. I have ridden the real waves in Hawaii, and have to say SUP is not a old man's version of surfing. Heck you have Laird out there catching 20 foot waves out there on a SUP. That is FREAKING HARD TO DO! It's much easier to catch that kind of wave with a regular surfboard.

I will have to say that the waves in Florida are not that great but then again some of the best surfers in the world come from Florida. So yeah it's a flat state, but without this flat state you would never have Kelly Slater, Corey Lopez, Yancey Spencer, etc. So it can't be that flat. :)

Awesome picture Chris!

Steve-O 10-27-2008 09:44 AM

Florida isnt flat. If it is, then why so many surf shops and so many great surfers.

Maybe your just too lazy to go find waves or simply want to come up with an excuse because your too lazy to look. A friend of mine that lives in Cocoa surfs all the time. I know that Panhandle can get pretty epic most of the winter and during hurricane season.

I have surfed all over the world searching for waves....and sometimes the best ones are right here in Florida.....and the best surfers call Florida home.

Go take your negativity elsewhere. It's not welcome here.

shogun1204 10-27-2008 09:59 AM

Waves

Yeah during Faye and Ike that had some pretty big surf here in PC. You should have come out Steve you would have been in heaven! I actually got to kite in 8 to 15 foot face swell on one day and it was freaking scary and epic all at the same time! LOL

Steve-O 10-27-2008 10:06 AM

I went up there for Wilma a few years back and it was all time. Wish I had a ski.....I am working on that.

C. Moore 10-27-2008 11:20 AM

Here is one of Garrett at Pipe. The guy that drops in behind him is his brother Liam. :)

kitekristrudo 10-27-2008 11:50 AM

i said the STATE is flat. the state. that means no mountains.

yes that is a nice wave at pipeline and a great surfer no less but it does not change the fact that he has chosen to carry the ugly stick.

sad some of you cant accept someone who does not agree with everything you say. oh well

Danimal8199 10-27-2008 12:20 PM

I'm pretty sure there has been a ton of disagreement on this forum before, I think that maybe you should work on your delivery a little bit Kris...

For the sake of being able to intelligently and constructivley disagree one should choose a way to disagree that seems less insulting, but don't take my word for it, Confushious, the great Chinese philosopher and writer of The Analects told me that :)

kitekristrudo 10-27-2008 02:12 PM

you really must be kidding this is the most jerky bunch of people i have ever seen

Me:
Quote:

Old men surfing with crutches. ???
(A JOKE by the way)

Amber:
Quote:

I haven't read anything positive from you on this forum. I'm not getting those vibes from you and its unfortunate. We don't need any more negative nancy's in our community.
Chad:
Quote:

Steve:
Quote:

Maybe your just too lazy to go find waves or simply want to come up with an excuse because your too lazy to look. Go take your negativity elsewhere. It's not welcome here.
You:
Quote:

I think that maybe you should work on your delivery a little bit Kris...
my delivery? you people are amazing.

Danimal8199 10-27-2008 02:28 PM

Yes, its all about the delivery!

No one is hating on you, I think that people got a little defensive about your comment(s), not me though, I could care less.

However, I personally know alot of the people on this forum and they are cool people and some are very passionate about certain topics.

Technically you don't have to be careful about offending people, you can say whatever you want, its a forum, just don't be surprised though if you get responses like that.

But I must say, calling me amazing does help to get off on the right foot, more comments like that I say! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitekristrudo (Post 37335)
my delivery? you people are amazing.

JoshTaylor 10-27-2008 03:52 PM

dramaqueens.

Wildcard 10-27-2008 04:03 PM

I don't think people on here are trying to be jerks, personally I've found most people on here to be pretty nice and helpfull. I think the issue here is that no one seems to know who you are Kris aside from the occasional posts you leave that in most cases just seem to be an attempt to start some shit. I will admit I found the surfing with crutches comment to be kind of funny but I see how it could be misinterpreted by people who are serious about SUP. I think the best thing would be for you to get out to the beach and meet some of the folks on here and perhaps then you could shed this image you have gained as a forum troll stokin the coals trying to get a reaction. Just my $0.02

Steve-O 10-27-2008 04:16 PM

Well said Wildcard!!!!

Unimog Bob 10-27-2008 05:18 PM

It is never funny if is your Ox that is being gored. I laughed out loud when I read, old men surfing with crutches. Then again I don't sell SUPs, nor do I have a secret crush on a certain paddle boarder. I am starting to get up there in age and it does look like the same kind of fun as riding a Moped or scooter or something thing like that, (just hope your friends don't see you). Maybe I'll look for a SUP distributor with a sense of humor and give it a shot!

Chad085 10-27-2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitekristrudo (Post 37315)
I grew up near Carlsbad beach, CA and have surfed most of my life before i moved to this flat state.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitekristrudo (Post 37329)
i said the STATE is flat. the state. that means no mountains.

ummmmm..... yeah. If it takes mountains to get good waves, let's make one out of your B.S. and paddle out!!!

Also, the last time i checked, the westbound lanes of I-10 were still open.....

Steve-O 10-28-2008 07:22 AM

Sense of humor????

I thought my poem was damn funny.

Anyone see that thing? It was around here somewhere.

Oh well, I guess someone can get on here an completely bash my abiliity to teach kiteboarding, like I am some kind of kook, but I can't ask who an identity is?

Danimal8199 10-28-2008 09:03 AM

I love reading this kind of stuff! The forum has been boring lately, this is a great form of entertainment when I'm sitting at my desk watching the wind blow all day!

You can always count on BoBo for a good laugh!

Wildcard 10-28-2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danimal8199 (Post 37359)
I love reading this kind of stuff! The forum has been boring lately, this is a great form of entertainment when I'm sitting at my desk watching the wind blow all day!

You can always count on BoBo for a good laugh!

I agree, I sit at work all day bored out of my skull and these threads at least provide me with something funny to read.

As for what Bobo said I hope Kris is real and hot, that would be sweet! That being said she needs to get out on the beach. However reading "her" posts reminds me more of talking to my 16 y.o. cousin becuz he thinks he's cool and likes to be a P.I.T.A. and talk shit

Danimal8199 10-28-2008 10:24 AM

Wildcard, your earlier post that Steve-O commented on was right on point.

We are having fun here but I wouldn't want to alienate someone from coming out just because we are all talkin smack on here.

So Kris if you read this, its all good, get down to the beach sometime and lets do some kiteboarding, maybe BoBo will grill some burgers!

JoshTaylor 10-28-2008 06:42 PM

i swear this must be a highschool forum...

ricki 10-28-2008 07:21 PM

You're welcome Steve. I may be the only guy on here who has had to sit out the last two months of wind. May have another month to go too. We seem to be getting regular wind now, so look on the bright side folks. Should be lots of happy people on here after the long, hot, calm summer.

Anyone planning any long downwinders? You have that great trolley system for kiter R/T's. Sure beats walking!

Good winds and have fun!

amber 10-30-2008 05:13 PM

damn. I'm reading the rest of the thread too late... all of bobo's posts have been deleted. He sure is a funny clown. I agree that Wildcard's post is 100% on.

Bob... not sure if that comment regarding the secret crush was in reference to my complimenting Matt but if so... its funny. I feel like matt is my little brother. Def don't wanna make out with him. Now some of his friends...that may be another story. LOL! I guess I defend him a lot and point out when he does cool stuff cuz I'm proud of him for a lot of stuff he's done. But I'd do the same for most of my other friends including those who posted on this thread. Steve-O, Danny, Bobo, Roy, Chris, Chad, etc.

On a more positive note, I'm getting a cool new flag to bring to the beach. And... a really cute puppy. :)