FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's happening? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   nude beach - Loss of Smathers Beach?! (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=8231)

greg meintjes 05-04-2009 06:41 PM

nude beach - Loss of Smathers Beach?!

I just read that some naturists are trying to get Key West to designate an area as a nude beach and some of them think the end of Smathers where we kite is where they think it should be, although I have nothing against nudity, this could cause problems for us. I am currently talking to the city re unrelated kiting ideas,and will let you guys know of any further developments.

Greg

conchxpress 05-04-2009 07:05 PM

Nude Kiteboarding? Ouch

That'll never happen. Key West is trying to attract the family crowd also. Smathers is right on the main thoroughfare from the airport. Can't have all the kiddies staring at saggy breasts now can we? It's not usually the great figured women that nude sunbathe anyway - usually the ones you wouldn't care to see out of their clothing.

greg meintjes 05-04-2009 07:15 PM

nude beach

Hey Frank, glad you had some good kiting last week. The naturists originally wanted it to be at Higgs beach, but they have a playground there, the reason they are looking at Smathers is the fact that apart from where we actully launch the beach is out of view from the road, there is also talk of looking into putting up a privacy fence. Some of the guesthouses and at least one commisioner are pushing for a nude beach, so they do have backing, but I do hope that they elliminate Smathers as one of their options. When will you be down again ?

Greg

conchxpress 05-05-2009 05:14 PM

They already have the Garden of Eden on top of the Bull, what else do they want? Maybe because the Shores is no longer there they feel a need to branch out. Haven't they heard that it is more sexy to conceal than to reveal? I think that if some of the guys started kiteboarding in the nude, it might scare the politicians. Can't not see that from the road! Could give rise (no pun intended) to a whole new category of tricks. Instead of board-off tricks, there could be boardshorts-off tricks.

greg meintjes 05-05-2009 06:14 PM

nude beach

good one Frank, it will also give new meaning to "the dangle pass"

Greg
http://www.keywestkiteboarding.com/

ricki 05-05-2009 06:41 PM

I recall they had such a beach there back in the '70's. It was somewhere to the west of the end of Duval. Perhaps just west of the Pier House? It was a whopping 50 ft. wide. Must be something there today, what else do they need? Keep us updated on what goes on Greg. Could raise some interest favoring kiting if necessary.

conchxpress 05-10-2009 09:47 PM

The Pier House still has a small section of their beach that is topless.
The Atlantic Shores Resort was the main nude beach/resort until it was torn down to make room for some high price condos. Don't ask me why I know this, I was never there. JUst common knowledge. I don't know what the big attraction is, Never wanted to get my unit sunburned. And I certainly don't want to see 50 and 60ish women's naked bodies (well maybe Christie Brinkley), Maybe when I'm 90. There's a guy that kiteboards on Smathers who wears a speedo. I can cut him a little slack since he's from the "old country", but it still seems out of place. Maybe if he had a Michael Phelps body, but he's got the beer gut and the cottage cheese thing going. If the commissioners saw that maybe they'de take Smathers out of the running.

Seriously, there are a lot of people that hang out just to watch the guys kiteboarding. It attracts a lot of attention - good attention. Tourists with their cameras are all over the place. Sometimes they're so thick, it's hard to launch. The Japanese always want to pose with the kites on the beach. I think it's becoming one of Key West's attractions.

Maybe the Commission could specify that only 20's and 30's women could go nude. And outlaw speedos on men.

conchxpress 05-10-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg meintjes (Post 40215)
good one Frank, it will also give new meaning to "the dangle pass"

Greg
http://www.keywestkiteboarding.com/

Donkey Dick would no longer be just a kiteboarding term. Aside from Mexican sex shows, that is.

greg meintjes 05-11-2009 04:52 AM

nude beach

I got your e mail , it does look like we will be getting some wind this weekend, I talked to the city on Thursday and they did not mention anything more to me re the naturists proposal, I think kiteboarding will definately bring more people to Key West and since we were using that part of the beach first, I think we will be able to work out a favourable solution with the city if it comes down to it.

Greg

"Kite The Keys"

greg meintjes 05-17-2009 04:51 PM

article re smathers as possible site for nude beach

This is one of the articles that have been published lately, where they mention Smathers beach as a possible location for a nude beach. http://keysnews.com/node/12927

Greg

b-rad 05-19-2009 06:19 AM

Definately no shortage of freaks down there! You guys might need a really tall kite pump where you can pump standing up! Stay safe Greg!!!

greg meintjes 05-19-2009 06:25 AM

nude beach

Thanks Brad, I spoke to one of the commisioners working for the nude beach yesterday and she said she understands our concerns and will work with us. If things do start to go the wrong way for us I talked to a bunch of the local riders and they will go with me to a meeting with the city, but as of now things seem to be okay, so do not want to rock the boat to much.

conchxpress 05-19-2009 09:34 AM

The good thing about Smathers at the present, is that sunbathers don't really hang out there that much, and fortunately or unfortunately - depending on your personal philosophy, the water and the mucky bottom deters people from wanting to swim there. If the nudies move in, then they will have a stake in what goes on there and will undoubtedly be very vocal about their perceived safety or imagined lack of it - i.e. danger from possible kite-mares. Plus they will hog all the parking. If it ever happens, then we get every kiter to bring their camera. Nude sunbathers don't like to be photographed.

greg meintjes 07-08-2009 02:13 PM

nude beach

The front page of the Key West Citizen had another story on proposed sites for the nude beach and printed a picture off the launch area at Smathers as one of the recommended sites. I went on the naturists site and found that they are now going to start holding meetings down at the beach. Myself and most of the riders do not have a problem with naturists, we just want to protect our riding area, and bathers where we ride will cause a lot of problems. I have left a message for the naturists to call me as I think it will be better if we can work with them for a solution than against them, I have also been in contact with the reporter who wrote the story and she has promised to mention our concerns in her next article. To preserve our riding area we are all going to need to stick together as a group to show the city we are also a tourist attraction and a positive group of persons who are also beneficial to the city. (the naturist predict a nude beach will bring an extra---wait for iiiitt 287 000 people per year) Do not ask me how they came up with this high number.
At present a lot of the local riders have said they will also get pro active to protect our riding area, I am also going to schedule another meeting with the City Managers office and anyone who would like to come and give their input can call me at (305) 407 6748.

Thanks, Greg

conchxpress 07-08-2009 05:24 PM

rude beach

Greg, do you have a website or email for the appropriate party that we need to contact to express our dissatisfaction with our end of Smathers Beach being considered as a site for a nude beach? We have a nice peaceful area to ride and the local crowd is very courteous to beachgoers. In fact, I think that we draw a spectator crowd that is very supportive and we tend to have very good interaction with them, with everyone explaining the nature and details of the sport to tourists and bystanders. With the presence of the nudies (I'd call them naturalists like they like to be called, but since the beginning of time it has been the nature of people to wear clothes, not the other way around), the atmosphere will assuredly change for the worse. Should we expect a volleyball net in the launch area so we can watch sagging breasts and wrinkled bodies? As I mentioned before, I think that this particular group tends to be very vocal when it comes to their "rights", and I don't think it would be very long before they began complaining that "these kite things" are a danger to sun worshippers. As far as the number 247,000 goes, that would mean there would have to be an influx of 676 new nudies per day. I find that hard to believe. So maybe they get that number from sponsored conventions or something. Could you imagine 3000 or so nude, sun damaged bodies congregating on Smathers? Then there is the element of "gawkers" who would loiter around the beach.
I've seen a lot of posts on different kite forums with problems of access, safety, etc, but never one so bizarre as this. Would it be possible to get a petition going to eliminate Smathers from the running? BTW, what are the other choices?

Frank
If this does come to fruition, I'm claiming the sunblock concession. Just selling - not applying.

greg meintjes 07-08-2009 06:27 PM

nude beach

Hey Frank, their site is fkfb.org you have to join like I did to comment, good luck, and you are very right, they can be a very vocal group

conchxpress 07-08-2009 07:01 PM

I think the major reason that "they're" looking is because the Atlantic Shores Resort is no more. The only people that used to go there were women who didn't want straight men gawking at them and gay men. Can you imagine this group on Smathers? I don't think appealing to the nudists is the way to go. Go to the people who decide. The city commission and the mayor. I emailed the mayor with my views.

greg meintjes 07-08-2009 07:43 PM

nude beach

You may be right re. going to the people that make the decisions, however if I am not mistaken, two of the proponents for the nude beach are on the city comission or are naturists. This and the fact that some of the guys do not have a problem with a nude beach by us as long as it does not interfere with our riding area. ( This seems unlikely as like you stated, it will not be long before someone complains about "those pesky kiters".

To be safe I spoke to Mike de Roche, Jeremy and some of the other guys about coming with me to a meeting with the Mayor and the City commission, let me know when you will be here and I will try plan it so you can join us( bring some happy gas to help them with their decision).

Greg

ricki 07-09-2009 09:38 PM

Hey Guys,

Been out of town, didn't notice this issue had come back and perhaps even to a vote soon. Not good at all. I could mount an international email campaign and petition as early as tomorrow trying to preserve our access. I could get some windsurfing sites onboard as well much as in the way recently with the threat in Hawaii. What do you think?

p.s. - I didn't think this would come this far prior to now. I moved your post and added to the subject line Greg. This may have become a serious threat.

greg meintjes 07-10-2009 05:06 AM

nude beach

Thanks Rick, I have been in contact with the mayor and kiteboarding was already on the next city comission meeting, I will also be talking to the city managers office today so lets hope all goes well, if not we will definately like you to get an online petition going for us.

Greg

ricki 07-10-2009 07:57 AM

Good luck, hope your discussion goes well. What is the date and time of the commission meeting in which the nude beach and kiting access are to be discussed?

Thanks!

flkiter 07-10-2009 09:53 AM

This is Paul Menta, i have been talking about this with the mayor for 2 months and i have time on the next meeting agenda. I can prove [from the kite house] that we have been named one of the top 10 kite spots in the world, we have just recived in national geographic adventures 10th aniverserys top 50, the only kiting as well as the only thing in florida to make the 10 year list. I have a video presentation and also have asked Rick to speak about the reasons. As stated by the mayor , if this is kept professional and to the point it will be hard to do. If we look unorganized, well they all ready have it up for vote and it will go away fast. So, i beg you to please becarefull on how this is aproached. I have 15 min for the next meeting, i think with rick this can be stopped, it is very close to passing.

We have to prove that this is a plus to the cominutiy and why, which i can document for 10 years with stats, facts, mags and t.v. and world records

The thug version of storming a meeting will everyone speaking different will only make us look like amateurs, lets do this right, we have rick on our side to speak, i have seen this before here.....dont make me say i told you so, this is serious

greg meintjes 07-10-2009 10:57 AM

nude beach - loss of smathers beach

I will be happy to work with you with the city , every time I have gone to the city I have had the courtesy to inform you and invite you to come with, I have also contacted as many other people and asked for their opinion and invited them to be involved. You declined because you told me I do not understand the "Bubba system" I have also asked you to include myself and some of the other local riders in these meeting,s ,but Paul you always have some excuse, the last one was that it was a "behind cloed doors meeting"

My main concern is the preservation of Smathers as a riding area for all kiters , this includes making sure that no kiting company ,yours , mine or any others tries to get a licence to teach or run a kiting related business on the beach as this will ruin it for all the riders and is also unsafe. Another reason that I want to be involved is to protect my business interests, any decisions the city makes could affect my livelyhood.

So I agree , we do need to be united and on the same page to look professional, and I have no problem working with you or any other persons, you can even be our spokesperson, and I am very happy that Rick is coming down as I value his knowledge tremendously. I will happily have a meeting with you to sort these problems out but , I will not be excluded when it comes to preserving the sport I enjoy. Paul you have my number or you can PM anytime so we can work on this together.If you decide you still wish to pursue this alone , I wish you the best of luck.

Off topic , I hope you are getting good wind and waves down there as we are not getting anything here.

G

John- 07-10-2009 12:31 PM

Paul, you may want to mention that a large portion of sailboat racers that visit Key West Race Week every Jan (a huge money injection, prob the biggest cash week by far) also kiteboard. And a matter of fact KWRW has competition now with Charleston SC race week being a cheaper regatta, so I would suggest trying to organize a kiteboard race of some sorts in conjuction w/KWRW. Just some more $$ ammo. I bet if you guys don't preserve this and the nudes get in there you will loose it for sure in time, 100% that they will move against you, good luck down there, John-

The Kite House 07-10-2009 05:57 PM

will be happy to work with you with the city , every time I have gone to the city I have had the courtesy to inform you and invite you to come with, I have also contacted as many other people and asked for their opinion and invited them to be involved. You declined because you told me I do not understand the "Bubba system" I have also asked you to include myself and some of the other local riders in these meeting,s ,but Paul you always have some excuse, the last one was that it was a "behind cloed doors meeting"

OK GREG, SO YOU CAN DROP THE EGO ABIT, MY MEETING HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU OR RIDERS, I AM WORKING WITH PAL(POLICE ATHLETIC LEAGUE) TO INVOLVE KIDS TO KITE ON THE BEACH AND PADDLE BOARD, THAT IS MY BUSINESS, SO YOU DONT NEED THE INVITE.

SECOND, I DON NOT LIKE THE WAY YOU APROACH THE CITY AND DEMAND OR WANT TO SUE, WHICH YOU HAVE BEEN QUOTED, SO I CHOOSE TO DISTANCE MYSELF, I RESPECT YOU, BUT DO NOT WISH TO BE LUMPED IN, I HAVE HEARD THIS MANY TIMES FROM THE BUBBA SYTEM YOU SAY.

My main concern is the preservation of Smathers as a riding area for all kiters , this includes making sure that no kiting company ,yours , mine or any others tries to get a licence to teach or run a kiting related business on the beach as this will ruin it for all the riders and is also unsafe. Another reason that I want to be involved is to protect my business interests, any decisions the city makes could affect my livelyhood.

YES I AGREE, FIRSRT THING YOU NEED TO DO IS NOT TO DO ANY LESSONS, BE IT SET UP OR ANYTHING ON THE BEACH. yOU JUST SAID ALL THIS, BUT I SEE YOU WITH STUDENTS ON THE BEACH TEACHING SET UP, FREE OR NOT THE CITY HAS STATED THIS IS DOING BUSINESS, SO THAT SHOULD STOP.
yOUR BUSINESS IS IN MONROE COUNTRY NOT KEY WEST , SO HOW DOES THIS AFFECT IT?

So I agree , we do need to be united and on the same page to look professional, and I have no problem working with you or any other persons, you can even be our spokesperson, and I am very happy that Rick is coming down as I value his knowledge tremendously. I will happily have a meeting with you to sort these problems out but , I will not be excluded when it comes to preserving the sport I enjoy. Paul you have my number or you can PM anytime so we can work on this together.If you decide you still wish to pursue this alone , I wish you the best of luck.

i CHOOSE RICK AS A NUETRAL, AS HE WILL BEST REPRESENT THE SPORT, NOT ME AS I LIVE THERE, BUT THEY ALWAYS ASK MY OPION AS I DRAW WORLD WIDE ATENTION TO KEY WEST FOR TOURIST REVENUE, DO FREE COMERCIALS ECT, THATS WHY WE JUST GOT ON THE TOP 50 OF THE NEW NATIONAL GEORGRAPHIC ADVENTURE, THE ONLY THING IS FLORIDA TO MAKE IT, NOT JUST KITE, BUT EVERYTHING.

i FEEL RICK CAN DO A PROFESSIONAL JOB UN BIAS, I HAVE KEPT THE BANS FROM HAPPING LONG ENOUGH, BEEN BLAMED FOR ALOT AND TOOK IT.

cOMES DOWN TO THIS, WE NEED THE RIGHT PERSON TO DO THE RIGHT THING, rICK IS THE ONE, NOT ME, NOT YOU OR ANYONE

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A PISSING MATCH, AND WHAT IS SAID ON HERE AND AT THE BEACH SEEM TO BE 2 DIFFERENT THINGS AS ALWAYS

I HAVE ALWAYS KITED THERE, I ALWAYS WILL...THATS A PROMISE

greg meintjes 07-10-2009 07:13 PM

nude beach-loss of Smathers Beach

Just wondering if you saw the pm I sent you. As far as Rick being spokesperson, that is a great idea, I said I would support you at the meeting , but I want to know what the points that are going to be discussed are. You have been talking to the mayor for 2 months , I started talking to the city regarding signs to designate that part of the beach as a kiting area and to try and get the pole removed 6 months ago (after a few of the locals said we needed to be proactive) The first thing I did was invite you and ask for your support- you declined , this was before the nude beach proposals had even been heard of, I wish you had offered your support then ,as then we might have got our signs up designating this as the kite beach and we would not have to worry about this problem. I would just like to know why you do not invite or get us involved, I am not the only one that would like to be involved. Ps you are right I do not need an invite when you are discussing your business with the city, and would not expect one, however the nude beach is not about your business ,and you said you hope we don't ruin it, how can we stick together if we don,t know what is happening. Ps I never threatened the city I would sue them, I told you and some of the other kiters a long time that if we got banned from kiting as a last resort we could always do what other people do and sue. I also never demanded anything from the city , in fact I had a very formal and pleasant meeting with them which finally led to us getting permission to remove the pole.

As far as teaching on the beach, yes you are very correct I do give a free beach lesson on how to set up and launch kites there , I never let a student fly a kite, this is purely a free safety and etiquet lesson. The reason I started doing this is a ;lot of new riders had no clue what to do on the beach, some of these were the kitehouse students( Spin, Jay , Marius and Letty to name a few, ) Some were from out of town and had nothing to do with you .In fact I refered some of them to you guys. I am also aware of the problems one has trying to do this out on the flats and that is why I do not mind doing this as a service. Ps when I met with the city I informed them what I did on the beach and why, I also met with Richard from Sunset Watersports who has the concessions on the beach and explained to him what I was doing, he also had no problem. The reason myself and other people don't want teaching on the beach is obvious, it is dangerous and a student and an instructor standing in the riding area flying a kite will ruin it for other kiters. I show them how to set up and what to do when they want to launch and I do not ever let them fly a kite, I don't even launch a kite to demonstrate this, as this will even get in the other riders way.

Paul I apoligise if I offended you, this was not a personal attack at you, I have always said we all need to work together, but we cannot do that if you don't include us, I am still waiting for your answer from the pm I sent you, and like I said in my pm, why not just call me or meet me over a beer , that would be much better than doing all this publicly on the forum.

Greg

greg meintjes 07-14-2009 02:32 PM

nude beach - loss of Smathers

Yesterday I had a nice telephone conversation with one of the naturists(Allan), they are aware of us and were even going to come and talk to us the next time they saw us, however like most people not involved in the sport , they have no idea regarding how much of a riding and beach area we need.( He thought we only need about 150 ft for ourselves) I told him we need more than that on the beach, and quite a lot more in the water where we actually ride and asked if myself and some other kiters could join them for their meeting to discuss the situation. I also said that I do not speak for all the kiters and some of the other riders or even some of the naturists might have different ideas on the subject, but that this would be a good way to start to set some boundaries up. Allan said that we are all welcome to attend this meeting to voice our concerns.

The meeting is this Friday evening at 6 pm at the East end of the beach, myself and a few of the other riders are going to attend, this is an open meeting, anyone who wants to can attend and have their say , just be polite and respectfull, remember this is not a protest.

Greg Meintjes

conchxpress 07-14-2009 11:49 PM

Greg, do you have to go nude to this meeting? :lol:

greg meintjes 07-15-2009 05:10 AM

Of course, I was going to wear a fig leaf except Kim said I should really wear a banana leaf. LOL. Actually as far as I know everyone will be clothed, as this is a public meeting on a public beach. From what I have heard ,we do have the advantage on this subject of beach use, but Mike mentioned that nothing good can be gained from fighting with them and only good can come from working with them, and I agree. We all know how unfair it is when other groups unjustly try to ban kiting for no reason other than they don't want them in front of their condo,s etc , so lets show everyone we are willing to share the beaches ,but that we do need a sizable area to set up , safely ride and throw down in.

The Key West Citizen printed my letter to the editor in todays paper, and Mandy Bolen also wrote a new article on the issue in todays paper.

Greg

conchxpress 07-15-2009 03:23 PM

Can you re-print the article from Mandy here?

greg meintjes 07-15-2009 03:40 PM

Sorry Frank, but I think you have to have an online subscription for that, which I don,t have. I have just spoken to Tracey (a nudist ) who has asked me if I would stand up at the commission meeting and say that the kiters are willing to share the beach with them, I declined as I told her I do not talk for or represent all the kiters and that I also do not know how much of the beach and water area they wanted. I told her that on Friday ,myself and any other kiter who wishes to talk will let them know what we need to continue our sport and that if they can work around this then I will not oppose them and they are welcome to quote me etc. I personally, as long as it does not affect our kiting area, would rather have an organised group who can keep their bathers out of "our way" than the general public who we have no way of controlling. The talk was a pleasant one and I hope the meeting goes well on Friday.

Greg

ricki 07-15-2009 06:45 PM

Thanks for maintaining communications Greg. Here is Mandy's article. I couldn't find your letter to the editor online unfortunately.

"Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Nude beach question may be on Oct. 6 ballot
Question may be on Oct. 6 ballot
By MANDY BOLEN Citizen Staff

At least one Key West official wants to let the voters decide whether a nude beach should be allowed in the Southernmost City.

City Commissioner Bill Verge will ask his fellow lawmakers next week to place a question on the Oct. 6 ballot asking voters whether they support an exception to the current law that prohibits nude sunbathing within the city limits.

"This is a community decision, not a commission decision," Verge said Tuesday.

He wants to know how the voters feel about a nude beach.

In recent months, a group known as Florida Keys Free Beaches has been championing the idea of a clothing-optional beach. Representatives from the group spoke at a July 7 City Commission meeting. They described Haulover Beach, a clothing-optional beach in Miami Beach, and told the commission that the beach is safe, patrolled by its own beach ambassadors and family-friendly.

The group has suggested that the east end of Smathers Beach would be a good place for a clothing-optional designation, but they may have to work with several local kiteboarders, who use that area for their fledgling sport.

None of the local kiteboarding companies operate their business from that area, but it is where they capture the attention of many potential clients and students, said kiteboarder Greg Meintjes, who added that he and other kiteboarders do not oppose a nude beach, but they do want to be sure they still have access to their "adopted" area of the beach.

If Verge's proposed referendum makes it to the ballot, and if voters show support for a nude beach, it would be up to the City Commission to identify a location for it, Verge said.

Florida Keys Free Beaches also has explored using the area of Higgs Beach in front of West Martello Tower as a clothing-optional area.

That designation would require county approval, because Higgs Beach and the adjacent park property are owned and managed by Monroe County.

Commissioners will vote Tuesday on Verge's proposed referendum. The proposal must pass two public readings to become an official part of the Oct. 6 ballot.

Voters also will be asked whether the Key West mayor should serve a term of four years rather than two, and whether the city should sell a piece of property to the Pier House Resort.

The city owns the land that houses the resort's Caribbean Spa, and is considering selling it to the resort owners for about $6 million, although a purchase price is not yet finalized.

The City Commission meets Tuesday at 6 p.m. in Old City Hall, 510 Greene St.

mbolen@keysnews.com"

http://keysnews.com/node/15240

greg meintjes 07-16-2009 10:30 AM

Nude beach- loss of Smathers Beach

Here is a copy of the letter to the editor ...

Kiteboarders already use east end of beach

Lately there has been a lot of talk about the creation of a nude beach, and one of the proposed sites is at the eastern end of Smathers Beach. Myself and some of the local [kiteboarders] are worried about this, as this is also the only safe and viable beach on this island to practice our sport.

About 10 years ago, five or six of us happened to start kiting at about the same time, and soon discovered that the best place for us to ride was at the east end of Smathers. The reasons were obvious; no one ever used that end of the beach, so we had a safe and open area to launch and ride due to the fact that there were no beachgoers or bathers for us to contend with.

That was then. Now if you go down there on almost any given day when it is windy , the beach is packed with fellow kiters from Key West and around the world. The reason is simple; kiteboarding is one of the fastest growing water sports in the world, and Key West is one of the best spots to kite.

Myself and some of my fellow kiters have no problem with naturists. Our concern is protecting our riding area that we "adopted" 10 years ago so that we can still enjoy our sport, and turning that area into a popular area for bathers will ruin it for us. Everyone has a right to enjoy the beaches. Hopefully we can all work together for a great compromise. With the backing of some fellow kiters, I have been successfully working with the city manager's office regarding kiteboarding at Smathers Beach since January, and would like to thank them for their support in this matter.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to call me at 305-407-6748.

Greg Meintjes

Key West

greg meintjes 07-17-2009 04:51 AM

nude beach-loss of smathers beach

The front page of the newspaper , had kiteboarding on it again today, but this time it was concerning the fisherman in the upper keys, who do not want us and portray us in a bad light. I am also aware that we have had a few complaints re kiters anchoring in sea grass so they can kite and although this may have happened, I think that a lot of the problems arise out of jelousy due to the growing number of kiters coming down. Now more than ever we need to get organised, I know the guys in the upper keys were starting a Fl Keys kiteboarding association, we need to help them get this off the ground and get organised. As much as we would like to keep this all quiet and under the radar, we are mainstream and need to act like professionals to portray our sport in a positive and beneficial light.

No matter who goes in the ocean, wether it is a bather walking on the seagrass or someone wearing the wrong type of sunscreen, we can all have a detrimental effect. We need to try and give back, so when the season starts at the end of September /October, KEY WEST KITEBOARDING is going to have a KITE NITE where we will have some equipment to raffle off with the proceeds going to the SEAGRASS foundation. We have been planning this for some time now ,but did not want to advertise it too prematurely. All of the kite companies in the Keys are welcome to participate if they wish, as this will help all of us.

We also need to do more to educate visitors who come down here with their own boats to go kiting about damaging the enviroment through negligence or ignorance.

When you talk at the ,meeting on Tuesday evening Rick, it would be great if you can mention that we are aware of some of these concerns and are working to minimise them and that kiting is one of the most enviromentaly friendly growing sports out their.

Brad ,Noel ,Paul, Kevin and anyone else , lets all get together so that we can ensure that the Keys remains a great kiteboarding destination.

Greg

greg meintjes 08-03-2009 05:41 PM

comission meeting

Tomorrow evening, the city comission is going to have it's second vote on wether to put the proposal for a nude beach to a public vote. Paul Menta and myself are working together on this subject and have a few ideas in mind on what action we have to take if our kiting area is threatened. We will both be at the meeting to see what is proposed and to give our input or objections. One of the main questions we need answered is exactly where they want the nude area designated for them. Paul has found out that they are very busy with a public campaign to "educate" the public about their lifestyle. So when the time comes we are going to make sure the public knows about what a great family orientated lifestyle among other pluses the kiters have to offer. We are going to be looking for phrases for some signs that we are going to have made closer to the election time, if anyone has any ideas they will be greatly appreciated, so far Paul has come up with quite a good one-
"WE DON'T HAVE TO DROP OUR PANTS TO BE EXTREME" .

We will let you know how the meeting goes.

Greg

conchxpress 08-03-2009 06:09 PM

How about "IT'S SEXIER TO CONCEAL THAN TO REVEAL"

or "KEEP OUR ISLAND GREEN, NOT PINK" (my favorite)

or maybe just a simple, "KEEP OUR BEACHES FAMILY FRIENDLY"

OR if they do succeed, post a sign that says "DON'T SCARE THE TOURISTS"

greg meintjes 08-03-2009 07:01 PM

slogans

Nice ones Frank, you are in the wrong profession, you should have been in advertising. When do you think you will be back down.

b-rad 08-04-2009 08:20 AM

kite naked:D

noel 08-04-2009 09:07 AM

Greg,

You have the support of Otherside Boardsports and most if not all the locals in the upper Keys. We start haveing out meetings @ October or November. I am haveing knee surgery in a week or so and will only be out for a month. I will be back in the Keys in October. I will also be coming to a few meetings in Key West this year.

If you need anything, just call me or Otherside Boardsports.

greg meintjes 08-04-2009 11:06 AM

Kite Nite

Thanks Noel, we really appreciate everyone,s support, Brad also called me and is setting up a website for kiteboarders and the general public for the keys. (I will let Brad put up the details when he is ready) Key West Kiteboarding will be holding another Kite-Nite towards the end of September to promote safe and eco friendly kiteboarding in the Keys. At the moment I am talking to my suppliers to get prizes donated to make it more fun for everyone.The proceeds are going to go to either reef relief or the sea grass foundation, I have not yet made that decision, as I have to still talk to them.

I will definately come up for one of your meetings when they start again, please keep me informed.

Greg