FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's going on? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Course Racing Series (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6722)

slipp007 06-22-2008 07:45 PM

Course Racing Series

Anyone interested in doing some course racing next season.....
I have been wanting to get into course racing -looks like a ton of fun so I have been thinking about trying to get a season series going. I have been competitively racing sailboats for over 25 years but am pretty new to kiting so feel free to critisize any of my ideas...
-Course could be set up off of east beach, great location-could rest on sandbar between races, I have a perfect boat to use as race comittee and have access to marks (bouys), could use course configuration that was used in the nationals (or adjust as we see fit)
-Racedays would be flexible and somewhat impromptu, we would have maybe a 48 hour notice
-Scoring could be a system that we have used for our sailing summer series where you are scored on the races you participate in (not penalized for the races you dont race)

PS If this is someone elses "brain child" please forgive me , I would not want to step on anyones toes! (I would like to help though!)

BigR 06-22-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

-Racedays would be flexible and somewhat impromptu, we would have maybe a 48 hour notice
that would be nice if we lived in somewhere that the wind came up like clockwork at 4 in the afternoon to 20 kts everyday from exactly the same direction

slipp007 06-22-2008 08:10 PM

Yes that would be nice, I was thinking it would start in oct with the arrival of the cold fronts

Skyway Scott 06-22-2008 08:51 PM

I would be interested in racing. I don't care if I come in last, it's fun (at least on occasion). There was some talk of racing last year, not much happened. So I don't think it's anyone's "brain child".

Tom Stock 06-22-2008 09:00 PM

Would these be free or small entry fee local races or some huge media centric commercial advertised event?

If it's a locals event of small and regular races I would be totally down for it!!! I will bring food and beer and it'll be friends and good times.

If it's a huge money based advertising centric event with news media I am not interested!

I don't see the point of entry fees if it's just for fun.

slipp007 06-22-2008 09:05 PM

definitly not a big money deal... just some fun races on a course set up close to where everyone is kiting anyway, my company can donate the jerseys for the race numbers, there would be no entry fee...., for those interested in competing in some of the larger races that are getting more common this would be an excellent way to practice and get started competing

Wolfie 06-22-2008 09:08 PM

I too am interested and would be happy to help if I can! I think it is a great idea.

Skyway Scott 06-22-2008 10:03 PM

Sounds awesome.

Sam 06-22-2008 10:07 PM

If you want any help organizing PM me. Ill admit to having dropped the ball on that one last season. tried to organize a small series last year but organic chemistry, physics and calc 2 got in the way of my fun! I raced sailboats for 12 years prior to kiting. Definatly all fair game as no one has pulled through with a series! would be great to get something going. every other area has one...but also has consistant wind too!

Whitey 06-23-2008 07:23 AM

I'll pay Tom's entry fee.