View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 08:54 AM
tomstock

Not much... I've launched my 16m waroo in 15mph with it attached to the handle of my anomaly (heavish board) with NO sand on it. I casually walked over put the kite in the air and moved it around until it was stable.

Walked back (no hurry)... grabbed chicken loop and hooked in. No tangled bridles, no crossed lined, nuthin. I LOVE THIS KITE.

I did it at the skyway the other day and it dragged my board about 2 feet before I got to the kite... no big deal. In retrospect I should have put some sand on it and turned it 90 degrees to the kite, but I was experimenting.

Now in 20-25mph with a small waroo in gusty conditions it would be better to bring along a sandbag with a leash attached for launching. Clip the leash to the chicken loop and do the same thing. I am avoiding a stake because I dont want anyone to get a broken toe or fall during a hot launch and get dragged over it.

I think randy connects his to his bumper to launch it.

Now I think in really gusty conditions, if landing in a remote location alone on a gulf beach, I think you could *probably* just stick/burry the board in the sand, set kite down on wingtip, connect leash or chicken loop to handle, and quickly run to kite and catch it. It's probably a good idea to SIT on the ground, one leg on each side of the board when doing this landing until you are sure it's not going anywhere on it's own before you run to the kite. Last thing you need is a flying kite with 20lb object attached to it tumbling down the beach.

I am very hesitant to crash land any kite except for a C kite on a 5th line... I dont like surprises and I have already had plenty doing that routine with C kites before I started using a 5th line...

So far I can see no need for a stake to be put in the ground.

BTW, dont ever do this with a C kite.