View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 06:10 AM
Skyway Scott

The variety of kites out there is pretty overwhelming at first, stick with something simple and not expensive, is my advice. You won't be able to tell a reasonable kite from a great one for quite awhile, anyway.

I would pay more attention to getting a good board, right off the bat, and not have to buy another for awhile (especially if you are fairly certain you will stick with the sport).If you get a board for 250, you will most likely just end up selling it, and buying a better one anyway. May as well get a good one right off the bat.
Boards usually last a long time and are a good investment. I have only broken one in 6 years. So, even if it's a 600 dollar board (still less than the price of one kite, complete), it averaged me about 100 bucks a year. After 3, it would be 200 a year. Most guys spend five times that a year on kites and bars, etc., per year.

I would probably get a used Waroo kite to start, mainly b/c of price. It's a very popular kite and getting a used one (or on clearance) at a great price shouldn't be too hard. After a year, you can stick with the 'roo, or pay more for a more expensive (whatever brand) after trying several locals kites out.

Your instructor should be full of ideas about the right kite and board sizes for you, and so forth. I guess I am saying don't blow a lot on a new "latest, greatest" kite, but also don't skimp on the proper sized, well made board. Good luck.