View Single Post
Old 05-11-2007, 01:24 AM

Overcrowding in all aspects of life is something we deal with everyday. Crowded streets, restaurants, housing market, parking, airports, ect. Our world is not getting any bigger but the population is, especially here in this beautiful state we call home. The sport itself I feel drives the demand to learn it. Companies, shops, pros, mags, and yes local riders out tearing it up all help to promote it. As far as instructors, they wouldn't exist if the demand to learn it weren't there. We have seen a huge increase in the interest. At least a few people a day.

Teaching is a job like any other job. It is a way to pay bills, raise a family, and live from day to day. For most entering the sport, the instructor is the last step of many steps that got them into the sport.

Surfers have gone through this same problem but many years ago. Watch any historically based program of DVD about the sport and you will listen to old guys talking about the days when there were no crowds and they were the only ones out there. Well for surfers those days are long gone. Even isolated places throughout the world see crowds like never before. The theme in surfing these days is to travel and find secluded spots and the ultimate is to find a spot that has never been ridden. That alone is one reason that drew me to the sport. I was tired of sitting in a line up, waiting my turn. A half a day in the water may only equate to a few rides. Talk about frustration.

All I can say is it still doesn't take much effort IMO to find seclusion even in the bay area. I have hinted on this fact many times before. I can't remember the last time I rode in a crowd and I ride several times a week if not more. A small cheap boat can open up alot of doors.

Yes we are lucky that we have what we have (tons of accesibility). A defining factor of why the sport is growing in popularity...not to mention the impovement of the gear. I have always called this Hawaii in a bag. The sport of surfing is huge in Hawaii simply due to conditions, climate, and accessibility. I always had dreams of moving there or somewhere where the surf was more consisitent. Well my dream came true, and it came in a small bag and I didn't have to move....and it's even better than surfing....somebody pinch me. I feel blessed that I have this sport in my life. It has made me more active, healthier, changed my bad habits, and I simply feel better when I get out of the water than before I got in. It is the best form of therapy out there.

Great thread.