Thread: WTB - 7m kite
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Skyway Scott

I personally think you are ten times safer on the 6m Pilot (more like a 5m) than the 9m Waroo in 35 plus.
I've ridden the lil' green machine in solid 40 and actually wanted more. I can't even get on a plane unless it's blowing 25 on the Pilot.
Meanwhile, solid 35 on that 9 'roo made me very nervous and I can ride in as little as the high teens on it.
I just don't think it is wise to push the waroos way past their sweet spot.
Just my opinion.

Tom, that 7m Fuel has SO much more power than my 6m Pilot, it's actually quite unreal. The Pilot is more like the old GTO kites, it actually spills much of the wind and is very stable. I don't think too many riders without C kite experience could ride the 04 7m in 35 plus. They would get their ass handed to them instantly due to how hard you would have to edge the whole time and you couldn't spill much wind.
Even Kevin got worked on his in 35 at the beach one day and he has been riding C kites for about 6 years. Once it dropped to around 30 he was fine. (It gets pretty windy in the Gorge sometimes, I hear). Better safe than sorry. Maybe you can rent a kite?
I don't know the legality of kite rentals, but this place might do it.

http://www.bigwinds.com/kite/rentals/