View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 04:40 PM

Exclamation Dunedin Causway Disaster-9/29/07

Around 4:00pm on Saturday-9/29/07 I went to the Dunedin Causway to check the wind, now knowing that it was blowing 8mph to 20mpn with a squall line coming I didn't take my gear. I got out of my truck and saw two guys help another launch, with difficulty. The wind was side on-on shore (NE) and they were on the northern side of the cauway (power lines). The flyer got up and rode along the shoreline for about 30 yards then came off the water and kicked off his board. He was standing in the water while his helper ran down to him. Then a gust hit and the rider was under the power line with the kite passed them, line over the power lines, the full squall line hit (check ikitesurf, it gusted close to 40mph) causing the rider to be pull up to power lines. There was a bright spark and the rider fell to the ground. At first the rider was unconcious but then was revived. Paramedics arrived and took him away, I don't know the condiotion of the rider as of right now. All I can say is that the location was horrible for any rider let alone while winds were gusting so high and a squall line coming. I have been riding 10 years and I had no intentions of riding there knowing what the conditions were. I feel partly responsible, very guilty, and am quite upset with myself, since I didn't say or yell out anything to the rider like, don't ride here, the guys helping him should have probably said something too. I hope the rider is doing ok and I also hope my fellow kitters don't do what I did and speak up when others are in bad conditions or locations. This was a horrifying day for everybody that witnessed this. Sorry I had to send this message out.