View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Skyway Scott

I agree Tom.

Everyone has their own opinion, but... I don't think the "put your finger in the loop" (like Best has) QRs are worth crap.
I also don't think the "pull the little knob" QRs like SS has are worth crap, either.
Having to get your finger in, or a couple fingers around, little loops and little knobs in an emergency, while getting dragged like a rag doll just isn't going to happen.
Not quickly, anyway. Wearing gloves in the winter? (well, you are screwed then ... lol ) I mean, c'mon... seriously.

Most QRs should be called "slow ... if you're lucky enough to activate them" releases.

I am starting to favor (in a huge way ) the push (or pull) away from all sides type of release. Any hand will do, it's always in the same place, just grab it and push/pull.
I think the best one I have seen was the North Iron-heart. Cornel has it on his Vegas kite. Piece of cake to re-load, as well.
I can see why Royal went with that one, even though it's probably the most expensive to make. I have read of problems with these (releasing accidentally).

I see a lot of talk on KF about QRs being only for beginners.
I simply have to laugh at that. I don't think it matters how good you are if it goes from 15 to 40 on you. BTW, it doesn't matter how strong you are, either.

Anyway, I wish someone would figure this QR thing out and get it "right".
I am convinced at least a few people less would die every year if they were easier to access and worked properly.

I haven't had to QR (besides during a launch) in 3 years. (I have QR'd about 10 self launches, but my finger is in the loop as the kite is going up)
Still, the day I need to release while riding, I hope I am not screwing around for 8 seconds.

(Just thought I would throw something out to discuss ) Not really knocking the Eclipse QR. To be honest, that vid didn't show me how it worked too well.
I assume you put your finger in a certain spot and push down, or do you put it in the loop and pull?