View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Just spoke to Neil, he too has concerns about creating a video record online that might be used against the sport. It is a valid point and yet, here we are. We need to figure something out and as Windryder says, I too believe it needs to hit for effect locally, at the launches.

Neil did talk about expanding the membership of the FKA without membership fees. Potential members would be required to sign a form stating that they would not do listed things to threaten access and would try to preserve it at their launches. The FKA membership and leadership would act as advocates for kiteboarding access when threatened statewide. This would include representing the sport at City Hall, Marine Advisory Boards and the like when called for. He mentioned forming a network of local leaders around the state to help coordinate things and give early warning of problems.

The FKA has been all about these points almost since it was formed seven years ago this coming summer. We have acted as advocates in numerous discussions with authorities over the years and quite a bit more to try to preserve access. At the same time, membership involvement has never been very strong at all. As a result the effectiveness of the organization to serve and aid the membership and sport have been limited. The leadership, called Area Coordinators, had 23 around the state perimeter back in the day, have been active in working to preserve access in varying degrees over the years. How much can you give for a hobby after all? Neil did say that kiting numbers have grown substantially as has awareness of access vulnerability, true again.

I think we need something with a bit more binding effect than a form saying a rider agrees to ride responsibly. Neil suggested public censure and loss of membership to documented offenders. We had the same concept online years back specific to Crandon Park. Unfortunately, there was virtually no enforcement down there. I mentioned trying to find valid rider liability insurance again. I haven't tried in about a year and know of two avenues in the USA that could be pursued. Would love to say just join the IKO but despite numerous phone calls and discussions down to Cabarete a while back I couldn't get firm assurance that it would serve as a good instrument in the USA. It certainly is fairly easy to get and at a great rate. Reasonable liability insurance would be a good thing IF it could be found and for a reasonable price.

Still, we need to do something EFFECTIVE. What do you think?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi