Thread: fatality in SPI
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRyder View Post
I have. A little over a month ago, I was in the gulf. Was very windy, and I was on a 10M Era. Was about to go in to pump up the 8M, but had to get that "one last tack with the 10M." I was eyeing a wave to boost off of, and when I hit it, my body got very contorted in the air, and all I remember saying to myself was, "this is really gonna hurt." I landing sideways in the water, board flew off somewhere, and the kite when down. When preparing to relaunch the kite, I saw a wrapped bridle line. With a few tugs, the kite ran to the relaunch position, and I thought, "wow, that was easy....too easy." Kite launched and looped picking me up a good 15ft. I went ahead and hit the first release at the bar and the kite stopped looping, however, I started getting submarined and quickly released the kite. Instead of taking the time to try and deal with relaunching the kite, I punched out, as I didn't want to go for a kite loop ride, or get pulled underwater and not have enough wits left to release later in the event.
Wow, that was some incident. Glad things worked out OK, particularly your QR. Thank you very much for providing input on this. What would you guess the wind range was? You were still being pulled with excessive force even though you released your primary QR and dropped the bar? You were being pulled by your leash at that point?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi