View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks for posting Chad. Folks on your coast are extremely fortunate to have a lifeguard who also kites, take the trouble to give a heads up about a potential serious problem on the local forum. This in the interest of avoiding problems for kiters, other beach patrons or the guards. I am having trouble recalling another similar instance anywhere in the state in the eight years the FKA Internet sites have been around.

Thanks again for that. I've put up a couple of sat. images of the area Chad is describing. I thought kiting was banned along Clearwater Beach in general for some years, shows it isn't as bad as that, yet. I would say to follow what Chad is describing (he is with the authorities after all), and promote it among kiters particularly those at the beach and in the shops. Why not pull together, doesn't seem to be much room for descent for what he is suggesting, at least not from folks that want to keep us flying there.

The more heavily populated and restricted area to the south. Need to stay well beyond the swim buoys here. Also, launching and landing well to the north is recommended in less crowded areas, correct? It sounds like avoiding this area in general, at least anywhere near the buoys would be a good idea for now.

The area to the north with fewer issues as I understand it.

Particularly with a new administration in place, it seems a no brainer to work hard to avoid any repeats of a day of incidents like what Chad described. Stay out of the buoyed swim areas, would save a lot of problems statewide for kiters in many cases. Good luck and really appreciate your comments on here Chad.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 04-07-2009 at 11:07 PM.