View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 06:57 PM

The Tampa bay area has always had a great number of responsible veteran riders with concern for safety and access. As well it should be, as we enjoy one of the nicest areas to kite in Florida with the least regulation. This should be protected, the right way!
In 1999, I went looking for for info on kiteboarding and was directed to a guy named Daryl in St.. Augustine who worked in the state park renting out kayaks and stuff. He promptly told me to get a trainer kite. Several years later I was riding upwind and able to control jumps. A few years later I got "certified" as an instructor.
I never took a lesson, no one did, as there were no instructors, nor kite shops, nor governing bodies for the sport, at least that I could find. I have always known and been aware, without someone telling me, of the apparent risks. I have also had my fair share of learning experiences and done stupid stuff.
In the early years, out of excitement of seeing another kiter, we'd go up and introduce ourselves and share info with them and be each others eyes and
ears and talk face to face with people.
That is how you give and get respect.
Years ago, the guy you are bashing came up to me and asked me face to face about becoming an instructor and then took the steps necessary in order to call himself an instructor. I have watched him over those years and we have both learned from each other. I have never seen him with more than three students at a time nor do anything I wouldn't do. So get your facts straight.
When it comes to instruction and students it's not black and white, you constantly adjust to conditions and students as they progress and change.
And as far as groupon goes, I did not realize the local kite community is attempting to govern how one markets themselves and strums up business. We should be grateful that newbies have many options with a great number of qualified instructors in the area.
Nobody is perfect, but if you have a bone to pick do it like we used to, face to face with a little respect, rather than behind a screen name and an i.d. Kind of ironic but the same tool you guys use to hide behind with your negative ranting and raving wasting innumerable time and energy, is the very same tool others are using to create positive, safe, and affordable kite lessons to others whom may never have any other chance to experience this great sport.
Let's keep it in perspective.
John Purdy