View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 12:59 PM

To Steve with Kiteboarding Tampa Bay,

Thanks for the public insults.

I personally have loaned my ski out on two occasions for ASF events. The ski was run all day and I asked nothing in return. The kids had a blast. No biggie that I was given the ski back with an empty tank.

I also loaded up as many paddle boards as I could carry to bring down to Ft. Desoto so the orphaned kids could have a bit of fun on the water. I was there all day for that one and the paddle boards were a big hit.

We did this again at Lake Seminole at another ASF event and paddles were lost never to be compensated. Again, no biggie...it is what is is.

Alot of beach clean-ups are on Saturday, and unfortunately we work those days.

Sorry you feel our store or myself has not supported ASF. It hurts to hear you feel that way to the public.

So back to the matter at hand. I have offered a simple solution to try and deal with some of these problems specifically at the Skyway rest area. I am not sure how we cause the mess there since we don't teach a single student there and don't recommend our beginners to go there. If anything, our school is presently the only waverunner supported school taking students to the safest teaching spots the bay area has to offer. Most the time you won't even see our lessons. They're in no ones way and there is no chance for a runaway kite to get to any beach or road for that matter. North and South county folks love our program because it keeps the riding area clear of beginners and lessons. We even give students a lift on the ski to get them way upwind away from everyone. What could be better than that?

Just so I am clear on where I stand: I will support any agenda that will effectively keep our sites safe. The simplier the better.

The North County Kiteboarding Community has effectively had the city of Tarpon Springs install the bay area's only PERMANENT kiteboarding safety sign with posted rules and riding practice. This was paid for and installed by the city of Tarpon Springs. The NCKC has also come together and created suggested ride maps for the following location: Sunset Beach, Howard Park, and Honeymoon Island/Caladesi Island. The NCKC also instated a liason for each riding location to keep up to date with any issues that may be interepeted as problems by city, county, and state officials. The NCKC has also started an easy to use FACEBOOK page for it's member to communicate and support our mission. Feel free to have a look around...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/334398226575261/members/

The NCKC was created by a passionate group of people that want to preserve their kiteboarding access and I am honored to be a part of this group.

Furthermore, I recall speaking with you on the phone to try and help you set something like this up. I wasn't going to be the person to do it all, but I was going to help and offer advice. I told you to find 6 people that feel as passionate as you and the ball would start rolling. I never heard back. I even offered to help recruit some of the founding members of NCKC to help with the building process of a similar type of organization.

Steve has also never attended an NCKC function or event to even try to learn about what we are doing. You would think if something is working, you would want to learn from that model.

Yes I am going to keep going........

Your agenda seems to revolve around certification and insurance. AND I SUPPORT THAT. However, certify and insure every instructor at the Skyway and it still doesn't solve the problem of having tons of beginners kiting there and potentially causing harm to the public on the highways. It doesn't resolve the problem of lessons being completely in the way of everyone else. Conduct the safest lesson on the planet there, and it still doesn't keep the beginners from coming back. Beginners will go to where they are taught and especially if their instructor is hanging around.

I care very much about kiting access in Tampa Bay and feel I will put effort into something that will actually have an effect. We certainly would pick up tons of lessons with our waverunner program at the Skyway, but it wouldn't completely go against our philosphy of being there.

The tone of your post is exactly why you have trouble getting my support. We can agree to disagree how to get the job done, but the bottom line is this.

T ogether
E veryone
A chieves
M ore

You have not responded to my phone calls and PM's are nothing more than an email in my book.

Find a record of me ditching TBKA or ASF anywhere. You won't! Find proof that I have suported these organizations with the resources I have as stated above. Just ask Amber or Bill Parker.

To the public reading this: Steve's heart is in the right place. He has spent more time than anyone trying to resolve issues in South County. On behalf of the store we commend him for his efforts and have supported many charity events. This incident should be a wake up to everyone of the dangers of teaching at the Skyway. How we choose to resolve them should be done in a very diplomatic non-threating way. I refuse to work with someone who is going to outright lie publicy in an effort to make us look like we don't care and help push an agenda that WILL NOT directly solve the problem. This is the biggest problem with an organziation such as TBKA and it's founder. IMO this is why nothing has been resolved. No one wants to listen to a dictator! You stand alone on an island of craziness and when someone wants to offer help you should figure out a way to use it, not push it away.

If you are an instructor, then you represent the kiteboarding industry. It is our responsibility as an industry to make choices for our students that will keep everyone safe and access open.

I don't expect everyone to support my opinion, but I do look forward to hearing other opinions as long as they are diplomatic, honest, and not insulting.

Sincerely,
Steve Visnage
School Manager
Watersports West
"the Bay Area's only waverunner supported kiteboarding school"