View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 07:38 PM

From KTB
"Had that been my kite or my student in the road, my 1+ Million liability policy would have covered not only the kiter, but the people in the car as well. Not only is it peace of mind for me and my students, but for the local kiters as well...;-) "

Being an IKO member allows you to get insurance not only as an instructor but also as a rider. Not a bad idea if you find yourself in a situation like this. Problem is, self learners or newbies at Skyway, likely do not know of this insurance option. In a perfect world, this would be awesome. But ask yourself, if a kite lands on the highway, and you are insured and it causes a severe accident, do you really think officials are gonna care about some insurance policy? Sure your covered if someone wants to sue for liability, but is the spot safe from being shut down. I personally think not.

The only answer is to self police the area and politely ask schools to teach elsewhere. Less newbies, less risk of problems.

I am considering attending the meeting for TBKA. However the focus from what I can tell is on instructor certification and insurance. I am still waiting for an answer or opinion from someone how this will resolve the issues at Skyway. Certify and insure every school operating there and it does not decrease the chance of a kite landing on the road. However if the kiteboarding community takes a stand and asks these businesses to operate elsewhere, I think the likelihood of a newb getting into trouble will decrease greatly. These schools don't have to comply, but at least they have been told. No one is saying anything as maybe they are too afraid. I am just one voice. But the power can come in numbers.

Steve has spent alot of time setting up TBKA, and he has struggled through the years to get your support. I think the reason for this is simple...riders in south county don't feel access is threatened. If the access doesn't feel threatened, why spend any time doing something about it.

I asked a seasoned rider today from Sarasota why he drives by the Skyway to make the extra effort to go to East Beach. His reply was simple....I feel safer at East Beach. There is more room to rig and ride. There are less lessons getting in the way, and generally stated that the amount of newbs that are pretty clueless about riding etiquette and just ability to ride is out of control. Backside skyway is a disaster he stated.

By no means am I judging the quality of the lessons at Skyway. I am not there and I can't comment. I am only questioning why they occur there. I am questioning why one would introduce beginners to an area where downwind hazards included trees, fences, rocks, and yes cars traveling 70mph.

Not to long ago a self learner got dragged into the rocks and broke his back. He sued the kite company for an ineffective quick release and won a $300,000 settlement. The jury didn't care he didn't have instruction and certainly didn't care about certification and insurance. He was also doped up at the time from a pre existing motorcycle accident.

I sometimes ask myself why I would subject myself to all of this regarding a spot I do not even ride at. I guess it's the leader inside and a matter of speaking up as a member of this industry and a member of the kiteboarding community. When you are in a leadership role you will get much criticism. I invite objective criticism but I also invite answers and solutions.

Not that it matters but thought it worth mentioning...I have a masters degree in teaching and recognized by the state of Florida. A one week course in teaching kitesurfing is recognized by no authority in the State of Florida. It's sounds all great and official, but in my professional opinion as someone who spent 7 years studying how to teach, it's kind of a joke. What other profession can you go get a weeks worth of training and then have the balls to demand $100 per hour. I think you have to earn that rate through time and experience. A certification is just a starting point. Real Kiteboarding has arguably the best training program and facility in the world. None of there 18 instructors are required to be certified by IKO or PASA. And the industry doesn't really seem to care. I have modeled my program after Real Kiteboarding and provide a much higher standard of training than outlined by PASA and IKO. PASA suggests a 45 minute ground school. I do 3 hours. PASA allows instructors to teach on foot. I don't. Wave runner only. These philosophies I share with Real Kiteboarding. They are true leaders in this industry, and these are the types of organizations I want to associate with and learn from. I am not knocking IKO or PASA however I am proof that things can be done at a higher standard and I don't need an organization to hold my hand to do it. With my training in education, it didn't take long to tear these curriculums apart and use them as a spring board to take it to another level. I do think any instructor needs to go through these courses. Wether they continue to pay these organizations money to have a card makes no difference to me. Experience is everything in this world. Teaching skill is something you develop over time. The fact that IKO and PASA allow instruction at the Skyway is at the root of my dissatisfaction with both these organizations. Again, my standard is higher. Why would I support a organization that allows something to happen in my own backyard that I am dead set against. Why support an organization that allows instruction near a major highway downwind?

I could go on and on about these two organizations but I will save you the boredom.

I think I'm done talking about this for now. Fire the bullets but aim wisely.

Steve-o

Last edited by Steve-O; 05-04-2012 at 09:47 PM.