View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

You have more sharks in parts of the Bahamas than in parts of Florida at present.* Do they show much curiosity when it comes to kiteboarders? The few times I have seen them, more often I assume they are there but not visible, they move in as if curious or just off blast away at high speed. Have you had aggressive encounters with them while riding? The only fairly intense attack I am familiar with in Florida involved a guy trying to train himself with bait running. Spent a lot of time in the water among all the chum. I have heard diver stories of shark encounters in the Bahamas for several decades. Most often no big deal, sometimes though it gets a bit intense.

Regarding a knife PFW, I wouldn't bother. Taking out a shark with a knife is akin to taking out a rhino with one. Tough hide and a lot of critter to subdue with a small instrument. When I was a teenager I carried a shark billy for a while. Just a cut off broom handle with a lanyard and some nail heads sticking out of one end for traction against the shark. If one came close enough (never happened by the way) I intended to bop it a good one or three near the nose. Shark billys can provide some comfort and maybe even make a difference. Figuring out where to safely carry one while kiting could be a challenge though. Hook knives can come in handy but for different reasons.

Hey AJ, interesting comment about the kite shadow and shark response. Bait sometimes jump when the shadow passes overhead. Must remind them of fishing seabirds. When was the last time an adult shark got picked up by a flying fisher? Racial memory does last.

* Historical Note: I understand that around WWII Bahamian shark fishermen worked the waters off of Ft. Lauderdale/Port Everglades. Go figure!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi