View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 09:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso Boy
Thanks for the advice....while Im at it, what are your feelings on impact vests and/or life vests?
Impact vests are a good idea for many reasons, primarily IMPACT protection, a place to zip in your keys, phone change, warmth and flotation, largely in that order. They don't excel at flotation, then again they provide enough to where one just might save your life. There was a guy in Oz who died, the day before buying one of these. There is a very good chance this experienced kiter wouldn't have been killed if he had the options an impact vest provides.

I would have likely broken ribs, several times, in bad jump wipeouts over the years but for an impact vest. Lots of pros have broken ribs, a painful process, and some still don't wear protection. Choices, ouch!

Proper Type I or II PFDs will float you automatically face up if you lose consciousness. The problem is the neck flotation in most models will also act as a fulcrum which could contribute to neck inflammation or fracture on strong impacts with water. They also can be constrict free movement while riding. For these reasons, caution should be exercised in deciding whether to use a Type I or II PFD. I won't use these type of flotation aids for this reason myself, still it is a personal choice after you consider the facts.

Good questions

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi