View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

This was also posted on Facebook and prompted some comments:

Ian Young My first rig in 1997 was one of Cory's Kiteski's :-)

Stein Erik Gabrielsen I got my reelbar in 2000, seemed like a good idea... Fn scary

Rick Iossi Ian, were you able to stay upwind with it? Did you ever have any overpowered issues? Deploying it must have been fun.

Rick Iossi Stein did you rig yours with Hung Vu's depowering setup? As I recall it was some nylon line with some sections of reinforced plastic tubing.

Stein Erik Gabrielsen It was 2 line - no depower. the "safety" was a plastic slider that initiated pinwheel loops. Sold it to a guy for snowkiting

Raul Argilagos I had one of those flying buzzsaws back in '98. I sold it b/c the hydraulics ALWAYS went bad in saltwater after a few times. it was freaky having that thing spinning!

Ian Young Yeah Rick I was able to stay upwind - learned how to edge REAL hard to depower & quite a few times that wasn't enough LOL

Rick Iossi Good to know, I had assumed they were real hard to stay upwind on. The good old days, when edging was about the only depower underway that was available. Who remembers when folks resisted going to kites with chicken loops preferring to use static loops with no depower? I recall one shop that had a wall of severed chicken loops, because ... they were for chickens?!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi