View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I second Mike's suggestion for Grand Cayman for a visit. It is a quick flight south from Miami and a well kept island with lots to do. If folks like the flat water of the Keys, East End of Grand Cayman has a nice barrier reef exposed at certain tides to break up the waves. Want waves, no problem, just hop on The Kitehouse Caymans boat, a few minutes later you may have swells. There are bar areas great for routine riding and even better for learning for the first time or ironing out some of those pesky barriers to advancement. Here are some photos from the island. I don't have much in the way of kiting shots, usually going there for free diving before The Kitehouse set up shop there. Hey Mike, do you have some area kiting photos to throw up?

The eastern portion of Grand Cayman. Checkout that massive area of fairly calm water sheltered by the barrier reef. Just go outside and you can have waves and some insanely clear and beautiful wall diving.

A surface view south across the sound inside the reef. You can make out breakers way in the distance.

Want standup paddle boarding, Mike's got you covered as he shows here

There are quite a few ship wrecks in the area both newer ones and those centuries old. Notice how calm it is inside the reef. The teaching area, a large sand bar is nearby.

Home base, Ocean Frontiers, with accommodations, dive shop, kite gear, dive boats, pool for training and just hanging out and more. I think they even have time share units available.

No shortage of water craft to haul you to great kiting, standup and dive spots. It is worth noting that there is substantially LESS dive traffic off East End. Mike took me out for a quick free dive on the wall. Real impressive, canyons, coulees, table top dropoffs and more. There are also shallower reefs to checkout as well. Love that super clear deep blue water!

The dive shop, Mike is in the water so much, he rarely dries out for long

Wrecks out the wazoo, going back years to centuries and all over. I understand that one of these wrecks shown above, a freighter, used to serve lunch on this spot before time and hurricanes brought things closer to sea level.

A public beach in the area

Reefs all over and clear warm water to go with

Ray Hogs?

Lots of wrecks

Mike surfaces, hey even dolphins surface for a puff every once in a while

World famous diving here and so close to Florida

A section of the north shore of Grand Cayman. Note the shallow reef rimmed by the breaker line and all that calmer clear blue water inside. Various areas around the circumference of the island are rimmed by shallow reef containing stretches of sheltered water. When the wind is on, off you go and have fun shredding. You have a choice of riding calmer waters on the inside or hitting the waves on the outside. Or, you could just dive the walls on the outside. Lots of pinnacles, astounding vertical drops and good viz.

There are saltwater caverns and caves as well. Here's the chimney of a swim through in Eden Rock, Grand Cayman. The water is shallow enough to free dive through quite a few of them. At least when you can see the way out from the entrance. Got a lot more video than stills unfortunately but there is this one. There are extensive tunnels and chimneys that riddle the rampart of Palancar Reef off Cozumel. Start with limestone, add acidic water and sooner or later you should get caves.

There are a lot more salt water caverns than well developed caves in some parts. Coral can fabricate caverns and caves under different influences. Shown above is a shallow cavern spilling forth tarpon along the Turtle Reef mini wall on Grand Cayman. Without air exhaust the tarpon just cruise along with you if you go slow. They will even run up on you and join in at times as you approach. Saw quite a few tarpon in caves and caverns there. They hang out in the dim light during the day and they venture out at night to forage. The enclosed environment of caverns and some caves make me feel mellow, how about you

Near East End with more waves on the outside and calmer stuff on the inside

Fun times in the Caymans. Wait until you see the kiting too.

Photos by Rick Iossi

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 02-04-2009 at 02:41 PM.