View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 08:41 PM

Very well put together, Rick! You are a godsend to our sport and you dedication to safety does not go unrecognized. Thank you to all who participated, it looks like it was both fun and educational, and may just help save a life!
If I may add one thing for fellow kiters- If your kite is down and you're well away from shore,only deflate kite as a last resort. If normal self rescue is not possible(offshore wind), wind your lines, lay on kite with legs extended down center strut and stomach on leading edge to paddle safely back to shore.(similar to walking kite upwind) This method makes a downed kiter much more visible (wingtips in air) for rescue craft.It also works well to recover board upwind, a standard self rescue will pull you downwind. For One Pump users- make sure to pinch off struts every time you inflate your kite, if you blow a LE bladder, the air in the struts will be what keeps you floating. Roll kite and use as a raft.

I know from personal experience that a self rescue is not as easy as it sounds, especially when you're tired, cold, and disoriented. Luckily, I had practiced a few times, and used the method mentioned above to save my arse.
At East Beach,I see a lot of people dumping their kite at the sandbar and trudging through the muck back to shore(which is really tiring). That is the best time to practice these techniques, for the time that it will really matter. Its a lot quicker than walking, and kinda fun too! If anyone needs help understanding this, I am happy to give you a demo.