View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 07:16 PM

Default Howard Park Proposal

Hey guys I'm tired of kiting at Sunset beach and not be able to kite at Howard Park. Thus I decided to write a proposal/petition to the County Admin to open kiting at FHP. One voice won't make to much of an impact, however, many may persuade them. Here's my proposal so far... You can add or ratify the proposal until it is to 100% satisfaction to make the proposal or petition to Pinellas County. Advise and opinions will be appreciated. Thanks,

Brian

County Park Admin,

Kiteboarding is presently becoming one of the fastest growing water sports in the area. As an avid kiteboarder that kites at Sunset beach in Tarpon Springs, I would love to kiteboard at Howard park due to bigger space, and better wind conditions that Howard has to offer. I'm pretty sure that there is no particular rule on record stating that kiteboarding is not allowed. It's allowed at East beach in Fort Desoto as well as Sand Key. I noticed many recreational signs through out the backside beaches of Howard Park. Kiteboarding, windsurfing, kayaking, and etc. is commonly defined as recreational. From my understanding, approx. 5 years ago a kiter endangered the safety of a few patrons of which when the park supervisor banned the sport completely. One can argue the safety of kiteboarding is to risky, however, kiteboarding has evolved into a safety oriented sport due to requirements or prerequisite to take lessons from certified instructors.
In one proposal, there are many locations that require a rider certification card, such as Crandon Park in Miami. Without this card, you were not able to kiteboard. Rider certification cards are obtained by a certified kiteboard instructor that rate from a Level 1 to Level 3 kiteboarder. This tells the kiteboarders and enforcement officers in the park that they are experienced and acknowledged the safety of others. I would agree that Howard park should only have experienced kiters to launch/land from Howard. It would be no place for beginners. If possible let me know how I would be able to get a proposal in to open kiting at Howard park. Please forward this e-mail to whom this may concern. Thanks,

-Anonymous