View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 02:04 PM

It's definitely worth a try. I've kited at Sunset Beach since 2002 when there were only 1 or 2 kiters there. Lately more are kiting at that location and last Sunday it was crowded, both beach goers and kiters.

Fortunately, we have had no major incidents/accidents, but with more coming there, it will probably be a matter of time. I've stopped a couple of beginners from launching and told them to come back after they take some lessons. One wanted to launch a 20.5 machine in 12m conditions. I told him he would probably injure/kill himself and others as well as getting us banned there.

An obstacle to kiting at FHP will be the Friends of Howard Park, aka windsurfers. Once they hear about our effort they will lobby the park ranger to oppose it. There are areas designated for the PWCs along the causeway and perhaps we can get an area designated for kiting. The windsurfers always want the windward side of the backside beach, so perhaps to get our "foot in the door" we could take the leeward side.

A rider certification card would be great. However, keeping the beginners out will be a problem. Who's going to "police" the kiters to be sure they have a card? How does it work at Crandon? Does the park crew enforce the credentials?