View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Shark migration past Boynton Beach

From my Blog page @ BEST:

A Full Day

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:47 pm

Woke up this morning to No wind & none forecast for the next few days. Although there was a small N groundswell rolling in. I hadn't surfed in months, so it was a wonderful thing to take out the Longboard and pick a few waist to stomach high waves off

Suddenly the non-forecast winds started to pick up. So I stopped by the house and swapped gear, then headed down to Hammock Park. Trying to find parking @ 12pm this time of year is INSANE. I got lucky and pulled it off in less then 15min
Hit the beach and was pleasently suprised the wind was steady from the N 13-15kts
I get myself rigged up w/the 13 & 135 while getting ready I notice the Life Guards had the RED flags up. Didn't think much of it since it was such a beautiful day. I hit the water and I'm off all smiles, Having already been out surfing and now I was kiting

Thats when I saw why the RED flags had been posted. Black Tip (spinner) sharks. Pods of them All over the place, mostly running the sandbars in water from 4ft to 12ft. What an absolutely wild thing to see as your gliding over them. They'd spook, Then dart & carve out of the way. It's there annual migration. I remeber it from last year, The plus this year is that the water is crystal clear. How increditable to be able to load up-Boost and while your up there look down at 12-20/4-5ft SHARKS beneath you. Freak'n Awsome! I watched one jump 3ft out of the water not 30ft from me
For the most part there nothing to fear or worry about. But when you see one Breach and then you fall near or right above a couple. It does get a bit creepy

They couldn't have bothered me that bad, cause I kited from 12 to 5:30
I believe the wind was a little stronger @ Hammock then LW
03 10 6:00 pm NNE 13-14
03 10 5:00 pm NNE 13-15
03 10 4:00 pm NNE 13-15
03 10 3:00 pm NNE 14-15
03 10 2:00 pm NNE 13-14
03 10 1:00 pm NNE 13-14
03 10 12:00 pm NNE 14-15

Today would have been a great day to have had a Kite-Cam or one that took still shots. I'm sure I could have counted over 100
Posted By: highflyn

I was also able to kite after work on Thru 3-15, the water was a bit stirred up. Which was a good and bad thing. Good because I couldn't see all the sharks that were beneath me. Bad because the ones that I did see were closer to the surface and they were definatly LARGER ones