Thread: Memory Lane
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Skyway Scott

One of my most memorable days also occurred in S.A.
It was a day that was blowing solid 35 to 40 all day.
I got to do a morning session with Daryl before work out at Matanzas inlet.
Daryl was on a 7m Waroo Pro jumping to the frickin' moon off the waves. Daryl is the only guy I have seen who might jump as high as Billy. That day he was going HUGE. No spectators or cameras, obviously. I just remembered, it was blowing so hard it blew to pieces the glass on my topper. You know it's nuking when sh$t starts breaking off of your truck.

After work that day, Toast and I did a 12 mile downwinder in 10 to 13 foot waves. It was still solid 30 to 40. It was insane. The sand on the beach looked so weird, it looked like the surface of another planet. The waves were so big they didn't seem real either. The whole scene was beyond my comprehension. I just trusted Toast had a clue what we were in for.
I don't know if that was the most pleasurable session of my life, but it is definitely one I remember well for being the most different and out of my comfort zone.

I actually remember most of Donna's sessions more than mine. I vividly remember her session at the secret spot with myself, Tom and Bayflite. She pulled off 5 double backrolls (at height) in a row on a 15m kite in about 15 to 17 knots. Landed all of them and rode out smooth.
Pretty sweet. I also remember a lot of Tom's, Wolfie's and everyone else's best jumps and crashes. I still love riding, but am to the point now where I can actually watch and enjoy others too. I use to show up, ride for the amount of time I had, and book back to work.