View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 05:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

An interview with photos appeared in the Florida Keys Keynoter:

"Big Pine man is bitten by a shark while photographing it, 58 stitches ensue
BY WILLIAM AXFORD
April 24, 2015

A Big Pine Key shark enthusiast is lucky to have his left arm after being bitten by a blue shark April 13 in ocean waters near mile marker 20.

Mark Rackley, a shark videographer for more than 25 years, said he knew he got too close to the shark but couldn't help himself. Rackley said he agitated the shark by following it out 300 yards into the ocean.

"I've never seen a blue shark in the Keys before," said Rackley, who estimates the shark was between 8 and 9 feet long. "I maneuvered to be in front of her to take photos. When I was over her, she swung her head around immediately and clamped onto my shoulder and bicep. It happened before I could blink."

Rackley let go of his camera and grabbed the shark, which immediately let him go. But even while being bit, Rackley said, "I thought to myself, 'What a beautiful shark.' "

Rackley, 48, was rushed to Lower Keys Medical Center on Stock Island following the bite. He received 58 stitches, each three quarters of an inch apart so any infectious germs could drain from the wound. Rackley said other than scars on his left bicep and shoulder, his recovery has been smooth and infection-free.

Rackley described the bite as initially painful but numbing after a few seconds. It caused him to be lightheaded and he passed out in the emergency room.

Rackley is unsure if the blue shark was male or female but referred to it as a she.

Blue sharks are rarely found in the Keys. According to National Geographic, blue sharks are a migratory deep-water shark traveling as far north as New York and as far south as Brazil."

"This is Mark Rackley's shoulder and upper arm before he received stitches. MARK RACKLEY"

"Mark Rackley received 58 stitches following the shark bite. MARK RACKLEY

"This is a photo of the shark Mark Rackley took just before it bit him. MARK RACKLEY"

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi