View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 09:43 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

The further north you go from Palm Beach County and up, the sharkier it seems to get. I never realized the ICW and inland waters were a rearing ground for the first few years of life, love nest and birthing area for bull sharks. Down here in the SE, I am not sure how many people were aware of this perhaps aside from some fishermen. There was no mention of these bull shark life cycle considerations that I recall after the 22 year old girl was hit in the ICW between Las Olas and Sunrise Blvds.

Steve may have been hit by a bull, tiger or hammerhead. Larger sharks seem to hit the lower extremities at times, perhaps to take out the ability of prey to flee? Anyway, our femoral artery is in this area and if cut can lead to rapid mortality as tragically happened with Steve. These larger sharks follow and feed upon the smaller blacktip sharks in the seasonal migration. The migration in large measure occurs offshore although I can recall seeing hundreds within 50 ft. of Delray Beach a few years back. They travel between Broward and Dade Counties and the waters off the Carolinas I understand between fall and early winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow View Post
About a year ago, I was watching some show called like "I catch big and ugly fish"?? on TV. They have/had a regular show. I was watching when the guy went to the Fort Pearce Inlet. He started fishing in the middle where we kiteboard...where I used to kiteboard. He started sunset to sunrise. The show mentioned every thing you had above about mating season and living in the rivers for about 5-6 years to reach maturity. Well this guy "only caught a 6 foot" bull shark. He pulled the beast to shore and tied a rope to its tail to bring it into the shallows for the filming. Catch and release show. I was surprised that you did not know this info!
Remember, Steve Shaeffer(?) was supposed to have bitten (I believe ) by a bull.
I think he took three hits as I recall. Steve was caught in the shark migration. Not to bring up old memories.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi