View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I am concerned about the requirement of USCG approval of the PFDs. The dynamics of kiteboarding can be unique and particularly impacting when compared to other watersports. Many USCG PFDs may not be suitable for the demands of kiting without placing the kiteboarder at risk of injury. The faster and stronger the impact the more potentially damaging the effect on the kiter may be with an improperly configured PFD. They need to be trim, with low drag and bulk to reduce impact on the kiter on water impact. Also, they need to not be unduly encumbering thereby impairing ready control of the kiteboarding gear. If the PFD interferes with ready control of the gear this alone could contribute to a serious incident or accident. Also, if the PFD has excessive flotation it could interfere with kiters safely managing in higher wave zones.

I doubt any of this or past accidents and incidents caused by PFDs were properly considered by the FWC before creating this statute.

So, where to from here?

1. Well, we can try to remove or modify the PFD requirement. Removal would be great, I believe PFD use should be voluntary.

2. Failing removal adding in inflatable PFDs (such as are accepted for windsurfers I think) and some leeway in the USCG approval requirement would be significant. I know of a number of flotation aids that work well in kiteboarding but none are USCG certified but may be certified by other entities. An example appears below:

CE 50 - Certified to ISO 12402-5

If people wear the wrong PFD, incidents, accidents and injury may result with some USCG certified PFDs.

3. I have no experience with the use of "suitable" USCG certified Type III PFDs with kiting. So, what can we use out there? I am looking for suggestions that won't do more harm than good.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi