View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Neil 1

Hi all,
We are still in a holding pattern for the Tampa race and just got of the phone with Jason Orkins. We will not start the holding pattern for the 60 mile east coast race until Tampa race is complete, we would in a perfect world like strong winds on a weekend but that can be hard to find but in fairness to Jason and others hard work we will if necessary, delay the holding pattern of the east coast event to ensure good conditions for Tampa. Maybe Thursday will work out for Tampa.
On another note I have been trying to find out the best way to keep riders out of swim areas in the Jupiter race. This is a huge concern for me and should be for all other Florida riders.
So this is the plan, I need your locals help. If you live anywhere between Jupiter and Ft. Lauderdale with swim areas on your local beaches, I need the following:
1. The location of the furthest North lifeguard tower.
2. A name and contact # of the head lifeguard.
The plan is first of all to notify the lifeguards of what we are doing, so they are not shocked and show them that we are aware of the situation and with a little bit of their help, prevent all kites from entering any swim areas.
Secondly on the day of the race call the head lifeguard and have the furthest North stand plant a large flag in front of their tower (supplied by x-rated).
The rule will be when riding down wind you see a lifeguard tower, especially with a large flag in front of it, you must immediately work your way a minimum of 100 yards offshore until no more stands are visible onshore.
Any riders breaking this rule will be immediately disqualified from the race. To identify riders breaking the rules I will be in direct contact with lifeguards, will also have staff members at various points along the beach and in the air. I also want all riders to use the honor system where if you see another rider breaking these rules to anonymously report them to me. This is a very important issue for the future of or sport in Florida so please help and when racing keep your eyes open and respect our privilege to be able to do this sort of thing.
Entry forms have started coming in, thank you. If you have not registered, signed the waiver and paid please do so soon as I have to order race shirts etc. This is a non profit event I am running and all additional funds will go into prize money and therefore the more accurate I can get initial items like shirts etc. orderd and paid for the more prize money there will be. Time is of the essence due to the holiday season.
Would also like to inform all of you and thank Viking Surfboards as they are going full out supporting this event. They are going to provide us with use of their tour bus by giving a limited # of riders a ride from Ft. Lauderdale to Jupiter the day of the race then traveling to the half way point and if anyone wants to drop out of the race at that location they will give them a ride to the finish line at Tiki Beach. Also they will be giving the #1 male and female rider a first place prize of a new Viking Surfboard. If you would have any questions about their boards or equipment feel free to call their main office at 954-321-9277.
So lets hope for wind and do not forget for updates on both races check closely fksa.org
Cheers all Neil