View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

It is good this isn't an issue where you are Jayson. It is curious but so be it. Kiters threatening surfers is an issue, either actual or perceived in many other areas in the USA. What surfers do to harm their access is there lookout and welcome to it. They've been fighting access issues a lot longer than kiters have, say about forty years worth in some areas.

What kiters do to threaten our access is of more interest to me. I have heard lots of stories, many likely true that I will not get into here for practical reasons. They never should have happened, but did.

Perception is everything in our society. It can even have more impact than fact sad to say. Surfers far out number kiters and have been on the water much longer than us. Their advocacy groups are far larger, better established and more effective than anything in existence for kiteboarding. In short I wouldn't want to take them on as the recent experience in Hawaii supports. We have been working with Surfing advocacy groups to maintain kiting access. They were the first to pass along the invaluable information of the Pompano ban even before kiting interests.

Kiters need to keep their distance from swimmers, surfers and other water users. To do otherwise with our growing numbers is to beg for trouble.

I was speaking to Robby Naish about this subject just last week during an interview. He said we need to "stay invisible, have fun and work to protect access." By invisible he meant stay out of official scrutiny and ire. Pete Cabrinha has similar sentiments in his interview.

I don't consider any of this thread a waste of time. At least the parts working towards a solution.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi