View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris
Highroller,
I understand that South Beach is a no fly zone when the lifeguards are on duty but then again i've heard different stories. Does anybody have the straight info on SoBe?

Fort Lauderdale's kite beach is only 20 min. from Downtown Miami and that has a very nice launch area.

Technically, kiteboarding was banned along all of Miami Beach several years ago. Largely it hasn't been enforced which is a mystery but seems to be the case. Some guys have made a habit of launching and riding off of unguarded beach areas while try not to annoy residents of the condos. Something like this could go on indefinitely, if we can avoid incidents and complaints. I suspect someone pissed someone off in Surfside hence the police being called in and what may be a ban put into place. Absent additional info it is just guesswork.

The only reason the Ft. Laud. launch is still open is through the efforts of Chris Kjos and like minded local riders. It would be nice to have more riders throughout Florida working to maintain access where it counts, at the beach.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi