Thread: Vacation ideas?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 08:13 PM

I don't know about the Sandals thing. I have had some friends that have gone and had not good experiences. It feels like a cruise but on land. Big buffet style food, masses of people, not as private as they lead you to believe. Anyways, cruises aren't my style as I want to get away from people on vacation.

I have been to Costa and was one of the best trips I have had only second to Hawaii. I have never been that impressed with the Caribbean. I think it takes a big bank account to get the best that the Carib has to offer and I just don't have it.

I found some killer deals on off the beaten path type places in Hawaii that blew my mind. I paid less than $100 per night in Hawaii and had private cottages in tropical gardens in Maui, waterfront apt on the North shore of Oahu, and a killer bed and breakfast in Kauai. Eating out wasn't that bad, and there is so much to do there regarding watersports you will never get bored nor do you have to spend alot of dough. To this date was the best vacation I have ever had and to this date had the best value and bang for the buck. We went in the late spring before the summer rates kicked in. Hawaii can be expensive, but it doesn't have to be. I saved all the info if you want it.

Costa was awesome and unreal value. Getting around is an adventure but that was half the fun. Tropical forests, river rafting, horse back riding, zip lines, hiking, fishing, surfing and killer wind on Lake Arenal. It howls there alot.....Gorge like conditions. Your dollar goes along way there, but it is a bit 3rd world. Be ready for an adventure.

Hawaii is more civilized but more expensive than Costa. Other than the airfare being a bit more, everything else was right in line with any other trip we have done. Case in point....just went to Park City in Utah and spent $100 a night for a Best Western in the mountains. It was fine, but it wasn't the cottage we got in Maui overlooking the ocean, nestled in a tropical garden, with pool and private jacuzzi. Yeah that place was $100 a night as well. Did I mention it was right down the road from Kite Beach and some of the best scenery and diving in the world. And I didn't have to pay $75.00 a day for a lift ticket. Snorkeling, kiting, a siteseeing were free. I still remember the best fish sandwich I ever ate with this slaw dripping all over it. $10 bucks.

With that said, I will be back many times before I leave this world.

Good luck!!!!