View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 10:56 AM
ruffridah89

Quote:
A good question is whether or not you will want to try to ride in 5 to 10 mph conditions. The bottom line is that riding at the ultimate low end may just not be that much fun. You will know that the wind is too light if your kite keeps stalling and falling out of the sky like a rock. By contrast, something around 10 to 12 mph would be a different story. Being at a lighter weight does help to a degree. Also, will you be in a fairly calm area or one with waves? Even 1 ft. waves boost your wind power requirements.
Basically, I kite off of Crandon and Matheson Hammocks. Typically, the winds over there get 6-10 mph winds. It may not be the ultimate experience riding at the low end like you say compared to 15 knts + winds. So, yes, one foot waves appear on and off, but mostly @ Crandon because its more of a beach than Matheson.

Quote:
So, in a C kite you will want something big, just not too big to where it flys slower. Something around 17 m might be the ticket. In the new flat kites, perhaps something around 16 m might do it. I understand the new Contra bow kite performs well in even smaller sizes but don't have hands on experience with it yet.
My instructer who taught me months ago told me that he has a 21 BFK, and said that it would work for me. Is this okay in safety for a 145 pounder guy in 5-10 mph conditions???

Quote:
I hear that every time someone rides a glide or aggression after hopping off their board. They HONESTLY think it got windier when they hopped on. Its kinda funny, really, but reinforces the importance of the board in our crappy low wind conditions.
Thats hilarious...
Boards can make a difference on light winds...maaybe on the long run i can trade in my Cabrinha prodigy 158 for another one.
l8er
Danny