View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Todd was at Hobie that day as well, although he was way offshore on the sand bar where everyone else should have been. He posted the following:

"I would like to say that I was at Hobie Beach that day and watched "a" and "b" riding next to the beach, kitelooping, etc - basically riding like neanderthals. If this had been the first incident at Hobie Beach, then I doubt the authorities would have instituted the ban. The fact that there have been consistent problems at this location required intervention by local authorities, it's the only riding location in SE Florida for SW to W winds (and thus people like "a" and "b" will drive from other counties to ride there), and there are no posted rules or warnings, the ban isn't a surprise to me.

I agree that "a" and "b" were a big part of the problem this weekend, but there were plenty of other riders breaking the law or just plain riding stupidly. I'm by no means sticking up for them, but I am saying that it was a matter of time before this beach was closed because it was totally out of control. There are swim buoys at this location and we are obviously not allowed to ride inside the swim buoys just like anywhere else in Florida. Also, there were at least three lessons being taught inside the swim buoys which is just downright dangerous for the students that put their lives in the hands of these paid professionals. There is a highway less than 200 feet from the water's edge and the wind was side-on shore and about 5 to 20 mph in the morning increasing the 20+ in the afternoon. West winds are always very gusty and dangerous in Miami. In clear skies, we often see gusts in excess of 20 knots over the average wind speed. My point is that rather than making this a witch hunt, there is something that can be learned here.

Here is what I have learned from this situation:
1/ If you are a local at a spot and there is someone riding like an idiot, protect your riding spot - say something. If they don't listen, call the police if you feel that they are either endangering lives or are going to cause a ban to the spot. It's a lot easier to keep a spot open than to try to get one reopened. I wish I had done more over the years to help save this spot. Instead, I stopped riding there for two years and just recently have been going back.
2/ Just because a rider is very experienced and has been doing this for a long time doesn't mean they are smart or know how to reason. Clearly this has been the case at nearly all beach closures in Miami spanning from Crandon Park to Virginia Key and now to Hobie Beach/Rickenbacher Causeway with "a" and "b". Be careful who you choose to look up to in this sport. Riders who think they are cool are often the lame ones.
3/ The people that may seem the most obviously connected to a banning like at Hobie Beach generally are not fully to blame. In this case, there have been plenty of people that knowingly rode wrecklessly over the years because they had a "right" to do so. Now they have the "right" to play Xbox on a windy SW wind, or pay Christophe at Miami Kiteboarding whatever he charges for his water taxi service to go to Stiltsville or West Point to kite (these places are only accessible by boat and work well for SW-NW winds).
4/ Beginners rarely are to blame for beach closures. Generally, people point the fingers at beginners because they tend to get in the way while they are building their skills. However, I don't know of any instances where a beginner has caused a beach to be closed to kiting. If they are with an instructor, then they are the instructor's responsibility and you should be pointing the finger at the instructor if you see bad behavior.
5/ Casual observers that don't understand the danger of kiteboarding and often reward bad behavior. Of course if you don't understand that your kid could be decapitated, or someone's loose kite could pick you up by the chin and throw you onto a four lane highway, you would be thrilled to see someone doing tricks right up at the beach. Observers were seen clapping, fist pumping and whistling on Sunday not knowing that they were one butt check away from getting maimed.
6/ Just because someone is a certified instructor, that doesn't make them right. Don't be afraid to voice your opinion if you see inappropriate behavior by an instructor. Remember that organizations like PASA and IKO don't need bad press and you are doing them a favor if you consistently observe instances of inappropriate instruction and decide to inform them.
7/ If your riding spot requires rules, see if you can have them posted on a sign if possible, temporary sign, and/or if local schools and retailers will post rules in their facilities. Most importantly, spread the word. We have a lot of visitors in Miami and it's a constant job to let visitors and tourists know about the local rules. I welcome all visitors, but there are rules - no biggie. Also, inform the local authorities of the rules and have THEM enforce the rules.

Get organized and think about what will happen to your own kiting spots as the kiting population grows..."

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-19-2010 at 01:02 PM.