View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I spoke to the rider, he said he was shaken up by what happened. He was concerned about the people down the beach, asked how they were and apologized. Once things were underway he wasn't able to release the kite to the leash in time. The kite was there in seconds. Once put in motion the outcome of the accident was unavoidable except by position, by riding further offshore. Also, with looping hybrids, sometimes the leash depowering function is disabled. Meaning even if you can drop it to the leash, it may no longer work. We talked about what could happen in something like this, he was aware of it and even more so now. He wants to push the sport by riding hard but he doesn't want this to result to harm to anyone, access or the sport. Few among us would I think, at the same time we have to work to avoid problems consciously particularly when we push it. Distance is your friend in kiting, big time. It can make the difference between a good story or a real bad session that lingers well beyond that day.

So, make sure you have a large downwind clear buffer when throwing tricks. This isn't about one guy, it is about something we all need to work on to avoid. Ask yourself "what if" and act to avoid problems. Work to not put bystanders at risk, I believe this rider will redouble his efforts to do just that. We all need to take this seriously regardless of our skill level and style of riding. Motivate guys at your launch to do the same, well all have a lot riding on this.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 04-27-2010 at 09:06 PM.